Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F70's maiden voyage

This morning started out with a little rain shower buy soon ended with the sun shining and 50 degrees by 9 a.m.
Drove out to the lake and decided to hit some areas I haven't pounded in a year or better.
Forgot how bad the dirt was in that particular area but was quickly reminded when the display read 92 -94 on the screen.
Didn't dig anything good but the 4 hours hunted added up to $11.03 worth of clad.
I was surprised at how good the F70 hit on nickels with the stock coil. I dug several at 10" plus and a few that were on edge at 8-9" so I'm happy with that.
For some reason the F70 would only run quite while in program 2 the first hour or so and then settled down ... I tried Fast Grab, manual balancing, turning the sens way down, frequency changes and nothing worked except going to program 2 ?
Even the AT mode was all wigged out during this time.
Anyway .... once whatever it was that caused the RF interference went away ... everything worked as it should.
I would blame all of this on the hot ground but my F75 ran just fine at this site.
The F75 hand grip is way more comfortable for my huge hand but I'll have to think on what to do about that in the future, maybe mount one of the thicker made Shadow X5 grips or might even go to a complete F75 rod & handle set-up :)
One thing for sure ... the F70 is NOT lacking on depth or re-set speed between targets, it's rattlesnake quick.

A guy swinging a Whites M6 came up and started talking about the hobby, he was pretty full of himself though.
Said things like ... dis here mosheen is the BEST and most ADvanced metaltector in da worlds today ... it's the nurest tekanology outs dare ... said he likes to follow behind folks using other brands and dig targets that they misses and make pure azz fools of em. And something like .. what's that funny looking tector you have in yer hand called ole buddy... it shore is teeny weeny, looks like a yung'uns toy, did ya get er at wally world :rofl:
I let him go on and on about himself and his M6 for about 10 minutes and said follow me and see if I leave something if you want to ... but he declined.
A few minutes later I spotted him checking some of my covered dig holes and it wasn't long before he disappeared. Probably couldn't get the M6 to run in that dirt.
All in all it was a nice day to be out detecting in the hillbilly sunshine.

Good Hunting
Mike

n/t

Did you try switching frequencies on the F 70 to see if that would help with the interference? I have both the F 75 and the F 70, as a back up. Very close in depth, with a slight edge going to the F 75. Like to be able to swap the coils, and the Sun Ray probe works on either machine. A great one two punch.

keep on diggin'

jimmyk in Missouri

Mike, could you tell us what your settings were on your F70's Program #2? Just curious why it was so quiet compared to Program #1. HH. Dave.

Great report Mike. I am wondering why in program two you was able to run and not one ? I will have to try that at one of the places I go.

When I started out and was having all that RF interference I finally went into factory re-set, then tried another program.
Don't know why it settled down and ran quietly on program 2 ... but it did, I could even run the sens up to about 90 before it became unstable in that hot dirt, had the disc turned all the way down too.
Threshold was set at -3 and even ran it up to zero but could not HEAR the threshold at ANY setting until the coil passed over a target ... thought that was strange too. Could be attributed to the site conditions ?

Good Hunting
Mike

Remember that I could NOT get the F70 to run right when I first turned it ON at that site and I didn't have the manual with me so I decided that it may be that the ground was just to hot for the F70 and tried to manually GB through the AUTOTUNE mode. That didn't solve the problem either although I could HEAR the different ground responses while adjusting it.
For whatever reason, when I finally decided to try program 2 ... all adjustments I wanted to make while in program 2 worked as they should and after the RF went away all programs worked.
Anyway, here is the manual GB proceedure right from the manual.

GROUND BALANCING (continued)

When ground balancing, try to

I don't think you can manually GB the 70. Some people like to hunt a couple of numbers above or below the GB point.
I don't try to hunt above or below the GB point but you can see what the groung grab number is and move the machine
and re-GB stopping the process when the numbers reach what you want. I have done that or think I did at someones request.

Intresting , i used to own a M-6 and i can testifiy that i could not find a dime deeper than 5.5" it was a shallow machine i was using the stock , the 6x10 ,the 5.3, and the 3x6 if what you are saying is true that F- 70 is one incredible machine come on can you really find a dime buried 8" down have you meashured it whith a tape meashure? my golden umax chokes at 4.5" on a dime but good up to that I would like to get a deepe seeking detector like an F- 70 F 5 comon do they really go that deep ? thats hard to beleive

a few seem to think that the F 70 might have a hair more depth then the F 75. I would guess they are probably the same. Anyway, I have the F75 and I can attest it will easily hit dimes at 7-9" with the stock coil and 6-7+ with the small coil. I have even dug some deepies up in your neck of the woods. My wife and I vacation annually in the Park Rapids area and I've hunted around there a lot. Also, I carry a small tape measure with me when afield just to verify some depths. No hype, Gunnar, the F 70/75 do attain those depths with relative ease. HH jim tn

WOW ... I don't know what kind of ground you detect in but it must be absolutely terrible ... or you've gotten some real stinker machines to use.
The dirt I hunt in is about as bad as I've seen and makes good proving grounds for field testing new detectors, it's loaded with iron ore and highly mineralized red clay.
Don't take this as a personal attack or the wrong way but if one of my detectors performed like yours does ... it would get sent back for repairs and if they found nothing wrong with it .... I'd sell it and try something else.
I can think of MANY detectors that will hit dimes at a measured 10" and better in my dirt.

Minelab Explorer ... any series.
Minelab X=Terra 50 & 70 series
Minelab Sovereign ... any series
Minelab Advantage
Just about ANY Minelab !

Tesoro Tejon, Vaquero, Super Traq ... etc.
Fisher F75, F70 and ALL of the CZ series & Coinstrike, X series ... etc.
Teknetics T2
Whites MXT & several others including the older analog machines in the right conditions.
Nautilus ... all of them.

And these are just the ones that come to mind right now. :detecting:

I have been up in park rapids, and the soil is the same or worse than hear. Park rapids has glacial sand and has lots of magnitite and volcanic rock fragments .Thats amazing you can get that deep , I think im going to get a fisher someday seems thear is somthing to them the tesoro is fine for parks whear i do not need to get deeper than 4"

You are right, Gunnar, it is not the best of ground throughout the area, and admittedly, the F 75 doesn't get quite as good of depth there as I get here in Tn. I took 2 Barber dimes from that old fairgrounds there last summer, however, that were 6-7" deep. HH jim tn

Howdy Gunner
Rule # 1 :To find the deep coins you have to sweep your coil over them.

Rule # 2: A person should be proficient with his or her detector to recognize a deep good signal.

Rule # 3: To find find the detected objects that you desire be it old coins, ,jewelery , CW war relics or whatever your heart desires................you have to be at the right location.

Last but not least: The deep ones are'nt allways the good targets, I have found plenty of good targets in the shallows anywhere from just under the surface to down maybe 6 inches deep. Go out with your Tesoro and find some goodies.........Hombre