Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F75 and Garrett Pro pointer

Does the Garrett Pro pointer work with the F75 or do they interfere with each other? I've read a mix of replies so I am hoping to hear from actual users of the F75/Garrett Pro Pointer.

I don't own an F75, but the way I understand it, the interference comes when the detector is in All Metal mode. I own a T-2 and the Pro-pointer will interfere with it in All Metal. When using either detector in discrimination mode, the Pro-pointer is no problem.
Thankfully I never hunt in All Metal so it isn't a problem for me.

n/t

I get a momentary blip on my F70 in AT when I turn on the Pro Pointer and again when I turn it off. MIght be the same for the F75. The guys I'm working with are never close enough to make a difference when they use their Pro Pointers. I might be doing things differently but I never use both the detector and pin pointer at the same time so a momentary blip at turn on/turn off is not an issue with me.

Some users have reported that the Garrett Pro pinpointer interferes with T2 & F75 platform machines by looking like it's a huge mass of metal. This happens (surprisingly enough) when the pinpointer is turned off-- the problem goes away when the pinpointer is turned on. I haven't had the Garrett pinpointer in my hands and so have not researched the matter directly. However my explanation (until proven wrong) is that the Garrett pinpointer transmitter circuit resonates at about 13 kHz making the thing look like a big target to a 13 kHz metal detector. But when it's turned on, the oscillator stabilizes the amplitude of the resonant circuit by overdriving it, so that it can no longer exhibit a big response from an external signal like that from the T2/F75. The actual oscillation frequency is apparently far enough removed from the T2/F75 frequency that there is little or no problem with electrical interference in the conventional sense of that word.

The reported "cure" if you observe a problem is either to put the holster behind you to get it farther from the T2/F75 searchcoil; or, to leave it turned on.

My thanks to the detectorists who discovered the problem and reported enough information about it on forums so that the thing could get more or less figured out. It sure was a puzzle at first, before anyone knew the Garrett pinpointer had anything to do with it!

--Dave J.

I have had no problems with the LTD and the propointer. Im with Elgin, when I use the propointer I set my 75 off to the side anyway so as not to kneel on it, etc. CO

Interesting theory. Kind of assumes semi-conductor junctions play into the resonant circuit when essentially unbiased (powered off).

I've got the Pro Pointer and hold it behind my back when hunting with the F75 LTD. It's at my side with any other detector I have.
tvr

tvr said:
Interesting theory. Kind of assumes semi-conductor junctions play into the resonant circuit when essentially unbiased (powered off).

I've got the Pro Pointer and hold it behind my back when hunting with the F75 LTD. It's at my side with any other detector I have.
tvr

No, the theory is that when it's turned off, the resonant circuit is not affected by the semiconductors so it has high electrical Q. This makes it an efficient absorber of energy from the F75. When you turn the pinpointer on, its circuit becomes regulated by overdriving it, and therefore to an external signal source like an F75 the resonant circuit looks almost dead.

I don't know what frequency the pinpointer operates at. If it's not something close to 13 kHz then my theory doesn't hold water. Anybody here happen to know
what frequency the pinpointer runs at?

--Dave J.

I have an F-75 and a propointer and have no issues with them working together at all, they make a great pair to use together.

and there are no user options to change the operating frequency. BTW I am so glad to see you posting here again :beers:

Dave your theory does hold water, the frequency of the garrett pro pointer is 12khz and i love using that propointer along with my Omega...Markmac