Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F75 Coil Question..

Woodstock

Now that I'm back in the Fishers Den I need some information on coils. I have the 11" DD and it a great coil but sometimes I'm dead on pinpointing with it and at other times I'm not. I cut my teeth on concentric and elliptical coils and never had a pinpoint issues until the DD. I know the smaller coils are deadly and I plan to pick one up someday. But I really want to check out the 10" elliptical next season. I know the footprint is smaller and I can adjust to that but will I get the same great depth from it as I do with the 11"DD ? And there's no better place to ask this than here in the Fishers Den. So anyone who uses a 10" elliptical that can help me out from their personal experience please check in with your replies. I know some of the F75 uses like them better, do they run smoother ? And do they get equal depth to the 11" DD ? Thanks for all your help.
Happy Trails, Woodstock

I find the 11 inch DD is about 1 to 2 inches deeper then the 10 inch concentric coil that came with my F-70. But the 10 inch goes to 12 inches or a little better in my soil. I think the 10 inch is a little quieter then the 11 inch but not quite as good unmasking trashy areas. I feel quite comfortable using both coils when looking for deep signals.

Coinseeker 78 said:
I find the 11 inch DD is about 1 to 2 inches deeper then the 10 inch concentric coil that came with my F-70. But the 10 inch goes to 12 inches or a little better in my soil. I think the 10 inch is a little quieter then the 11 inch but not quite as good unmasking trashy areas. I feel quite comfortable using both coils when looking for deep signals.

Great reply! I agree!

You will see the biggest difference in highly mineralized ground... The DD was designed to penetrate deeper in highly hot ground.

You will dig less iron with the concentric.. You will see less bottle caps, the old pop off jobs with the 10" coil.

You will have to concentrate more on overlap with the 10"..The footprint is less at depth.. So go over the ground several times at different angles, you'll still miss some targets.

Thanks for the information ! So thanks coinseeker, and went you say the 11" DD gets about 2" better than the 10" elliptical and you get 12" from the 10" in your soil are you saying the 11" DD gets 14" ? Where do you live so I can make a soil comparison ? I live in Northern Wisconsin and if I can get close to 12" with the 10" coil I'd lean towards it because I like the spot on pinpointing that I've grown used too. And Elton, thanks for you information as well and I'd like to know where you live and what kind of soil your used too. And I understand about the footprint being smaller and cone shaped so I have to use a tighter sweep. But at the point of the cone the depth loss shouldn't be huge compared to the 11" DD. And the only reason I can see for not hitting bottle caps and pop offs as much would be do to the shape seeing the 11" DD has a larger foot print seeing more with each sweep.
Like I said in my post I cut my teeth like many of us with concentric/elliptical coils. And my sweep pattern is very, very, very tight when I use one so I might miss a target now and then but I hit more than the average user with a concentric because of my sweep style. I know the 11" covers more ground cause of it's foot print but it's depth at it's deepest point should be much different than the 10", I'm I wrong ?
Thanks to you both for your insight and Happy Trails, Woodstock

All DD coils seem to hit more iron alloy targets.

Concentric from all reports discriminate better

Thanks Elton ! So if I use the 11" DD I hit more iron and that would be great for relic hunting and if I used the 10" elictical I'll hit less iron and get better disc. I'm basically a coin shooter so I might loose the 11" DD for a 10" concentric for coins and pick up a smaller DD for the trashy areas. That might be my best setup, what do you think about that set up? Happy Trails, Woodstock

Sounds pretty good........ I would hunt a few times with each..See how the depth is doing for each coil... But more importantly I would use the coil I liked best for my style detecting...and the areas I hunt....... Not everyone ( Me Included) digs every target. I like the concentric just because it allowed me to discriminate better......... IE.I switched a D2 coil to a 950 coil on a different model detector....... I much preferred the 950 over the D2.

On the F75's I have used over the years the 10" Concentric coil worked better in my ground overall . Yet on the small coils I liked the 5"DD better than the 4x6 football concentric coil...... ..a little better depth was the difference, and target separation in high trash areas was better with the DD..

Thanks a lot Elton you've confirmed what I was planning to do. I'll keep the 11" DD for areas where I plan to dig everything and the 10" concentric for my coin shooting a long with the 5" DD for those pesky trashy areas where I want good depth with better separation....sounds like a good coil combination and a plan to me. Thanks Again Elton and coinseeker for all you insight. Happy Trails, Woodstock