Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F75 Double-Filter Discrimination Modes ?

miserman

The F75 LTD and the F75+ are advertised as having "Double-Filter Discrimination Modes For Searching In Trashy Areas". What exactly does this mean? I couldn't find anything in the manual that explains this. What am I missing?

Since nobody responded to your post, I'll give it a try.

First, I started detecting as a youngster using the old BFO detectors before discrimination circuits were incorporated in detectors. I wasn't actively detecting when discriminating ability was added to detectors. I got back into detecting around 2008, so I missed the active days of the two filter discriminators which came about in the early 1980's I believe. It's an analog system, which at the time allowed users to slow their swing speed to achieve maximum depth over the prior four filter system which required a fast swing speed to get maximum depth. It provided good user feel/feedback, it is said. I have never personally used a two filter machine. The two filter system didn't have a visual target ID.

What the F75 does, to the best of my knowledge, is combine the older two filter analog discriminator with a computer processor based sampling process. It allows for a faster swing speed to achieve maximum depth, while still getting extremely fast reset times where multiple targets exist. That gives very good target separation in trashy areas. It also obviously has a visual target ID display which the old analog two filter discriminators didn't have,

A unique feature is that it's tone ID is separate from it's visual ID. The immediate,tone ID in some processes doesn't always match the visual ID. As it is described in the manual, "The audio is optimized for quick response and target feel, whereas the visual system provides the best numeric resolution of Target-ID."

Thanks MI- AUAG, that helps clarify what Fisher means by Double-Filter. With tone ID being separate from visual ID,it's a good reason not to rely on VDI numbers only. I have come to realize that deeply buried targets do not always give accurate VDI numbers but the tone ID is more forgiving of depth. Target separation is a nice feature of the F series machines in trashy areas. When hunting with the 1200 series Fishers in the late 80's and early 90's target sound ie "target feel" was what I used to determine when to dig a target. This allowed me to use low discrimination levels which gave more depth. When hunting with todays "newer" detectors I do sometimes have to remind myself to pay attention to tones instead of just digging according to VDI numbers. Thanks again for your input.