Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F75 ... Gold

Okay - say you are coin shooting in a park. Is a gold ring going to look similar to a pop tab or foil?

Mostly foil.. and mid nickel range. Depends on the size of the ring.. can read higher. Silver rings can read up higher in large coin range as well as dime range.

As has and will be stated, gold can come in from foil to cent readings. I'm not a big gold chaser as it takes more digging then I want to do, but I do average 4-6 gold rings annually by digging nickel readings and other readings that lock on quite good. There is probably more small gold out there that hits in the foil range that gets passed over or not even seen by a good number of detectors. HH jim tn

jim tn said:
As has and will be stated, gold can come in from foil to cent readings. I'm not a big gold chaser as it takes more digging then I want to do, but I do average 4-6 gold rings annually by digging nickel readings and other readings that lock on quite good. There is probably more small gold out there that hits in the foil range that gets passed over or not even seen by a good number of detectors. HH jim tn

When I first bought a detector I was told to dig everything. Tried that at first ... I hate pop tabs ... was told if hunting the same area like a park to dig everything up. Once cleaned out you would really look for the good stuff.

I don't have the patience to dig everything.

Me either. But, one can improve the odds somewhat by hunting the spots where gold is more readily lost and digging those softer sounding mid tones and mid range readings. HH jim tn

I have dug about 3 dozen gold targets all but two in the dirt.
One was in the sand at a public beach, the other from a chip filled tot lot.
One had a zinc key attached to it, that was the thinnest gold chain I ever held and without that key it comes in at iron...but iron area gold is rare.
I rarely dug everything finding most of this...I used to dig a lot but about 2 years in I lost all patience for doing that, cut out digging about 80% of the amount if trash I used to dig and started finding way more gold from that point.
The only reason for this is I studied gold hard, how it behaved, where it might be found and learned my detectors as well as I could to reduce chances of missing it in the extremely trashy sites I hunt more often than not looking for that metal.
Except a few special sites like basketball or volleyball court perimeters where the chance for jewelry is high and masking trash volume can be intense so I dig more there, most sites I wander around looking for mostly solid signals wherever they may be.
On Fishers they seem to like gold and they all came in solid for me using all my detectors and were between shallow and about 5-6"...so far.
Most of the gold in the pics below were found with an F2 or an F70...mostly due to the fact I used them more hours than my Compadre or Vaq but I found several with those also and I dug them because gold came in solid on those and I was still avoiding most trashy jumpy signals using those tools when I did.

Except for that small chain and a large rolled gold pocket watch all the rest of mine came in between foil, 24 on a Fisher just a hair above where those round freshnessess seals or condiment packages come in, all the way up the line to lower zinc 48-52 where decent sized pieces of can slaw come in on 5 gold class rings.
It can go even higher.
A friend dug a very tiny ring that barely even fit the tip of my pinky but still came in at a solid dime because it was marked .999...24k.

Below is most of my gold I have found over the years with areas they came in most with Fisher VDI numbers added.
Probably 3/4's minimum came from public parks in Kansas, by the way.

doc holiday232 said:
Nice Revier--good,as usual,writeup.

Thanks!
It just kills me to read people telling others to find gold you have to dig tabs, or nickels, or just one specific target of any kind.
Those that understand this metal know the truth...it can come in just about anywhere.
I used to set my disc just below nickel thinking I would find most gold because that is what I had read in the early days.
After I read one post from a hunter that said the best gold target he ever dug came in at foil I lowered that disc that day...after that I started finding much more gold than before.
These pics are only my small sample of what is out their but the volume numbers seemed to have helped others understand the reality a bit better.

100% - gold falls in many ranges.
The only time I pass on the 18-23 signals is when there are many of them in 10 foot radius. Guaranteed a lawn mower created a debris field from a can - all the lone signals are either a random piece a aluminum or something diggable.
As for digging everything...........all depends on the turf. If it's fairly quiet I'll dig almost everything - if it's "dirty" I'll be selective and only dig the good stuff.