Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F75 jumpy VDI's

Flintstone

I just got a nice F75, and used it two or three times. The VDI's seam to jump a lot, I have a 5" coil coming this week end will that help from jumping so much? I think I will like the F75 . What do you guys think? Thanks for any help. flintstone

REVIER will answer this soon as he is the teacher ! I rely on him constantly :please:

Flintstone said:
I just got a nice F75, and used it two or three times. The VDI's seam to jump a lot, I have a 5" coil coming this week end will that help from jumping so much? I think I will like the F75 . What do you guys think? Thanks for any help. flintstone

My F2 was pretty stable, I could get numbers on good targets to a 2-3 number jump only that repeated most times.
When I got an F70 with all that hyper sensitivity and power I couldn't calm them down much...at first.
With practice I learned to swing over targets pretty efficiently with short side to side swipes in the center of the coil and that calmed them down a lot.
Got it to a 3-4 number jump on deeper targets and 1-2 numbers on shallow most of the time...in good soil.
As long as it is a small range that doesn't bounce wildly you can count on that most times, several look at the confidence meter for confirmation, also.
Here in my mineralized and heavy iron infested SE. devil dirt now it is a different story.
Big jumps a lot of the time but even so there is a pattern, a few patterns I noticed that helps me make pretty good educated guesses about targets I swing over.
The little bit of jumping I had in Kansas dirt was nothing compared to this but still I just memorized a new sort of language for target behavior around here and now it seems as natural as when I hunted in better dirt.

Just practice moving that coil in tiny side to side passes over targets if you have good soil and it will get easier.
In bad soil these things are still great but you just have to learn how targets behave and adapt.

Thanks guys, I though in the manual it said to use wider and faster swings. I might of read that wrong,i will go back and reread it tonight. I have good ground, just a lot of trash, that is why I am getting the small coil. What is it say that to run the sensitivity at a lower setting, will it still get good depth? I have been running it at about 29.

Flintstone said:
Thanks guys, I though in the manual it said to use wider and faster swings. I might of read that wrong,i will go back and reread it tonight. I have good ground, just a lot of trash, that is why I am getting the small coil. What is it say that to run the sensitivity at a lower setting, will it still get good depth? I have been running it at about 29.

All sense settings are higher than you think...even on 1.
I once hit a dime at 5" on 19, for every 10 numbers higher I gains several inches.
Very common sense settings for different hunters are mid 40's, 60, even higher.
I go from 60-99 depending on the site but I have had a ton of practice listening to tons of chatter...plus I am weird.
I will go to 30 when I am in heavy trash and especially when using the big DD coil because this will sharpen that scanning field down to a laser-like scalpel but for general hunting it is a little low for me.
The way the manual says to do it is adjust the gain till it is quiet...then go hunting.

In good dirt fast swings, IN A SMALL AREA OVER TARGETS, can give you a more accurate ID on deeper targets.
If you swing in wide paths quickly while searching that is going to to a few things for you...bad things.
First you will miss a ton of targets.
These are fast machines but you still need to give them at least a chance to lock onto something.
Second you will get a lot of jumping and falsing...exactly the kind of behavior I think you are trying to describe here.
You will get falsing at all kinds of areas, I see nickel numbers pop up a lot if I am in trashy areas and go too fast.
Not sure if this is foil or small can slaw in the vicinity doing this in the 20's and it jumps up to the nickel range or what but it happens.
I also get all kinds of good number high falsing in the same scenario, dime numbers, quarter numbers and so on caused by other trash in lower areas as most falsing on mine is usually always higher numbers than the actual lower trash targets hanging around.
When you stop and swing over one of these nice coin number false signals there is nothing there.
When I slowed down to the correct speed most of that falsing went away.
As far as the correct speed it can be different in different types of soil so you have to figure out what is right for you in your area.
In my bad soil I have to literally crawl at a very slow uncomfortable speed if I want to find the most which is difficult for me and I have to watch myself but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to be successful.
Try swinging in about 4' wide paths at around 1 second per foot and see if those jumping numbers calm down and you can get more stable solid hits.
Adjust as necessary, when you find the right speed for your dirt...do that.
Duh.
Sounds like you are pretty new at this, or at least at using a Fisher.
Just relax, get practice and learn, it will come.

The manual is correct, you will get a more accurate target i d with a little wider and brisker swing speed. I have fairly moderate ground and typically run sensitivity around 85 to 90. In heavy trash you will notice a big difference in using the 5" coil. That thing is like a laser and gets great depth.

Target i d is a good aid for helping determination to dig or not to dig, but first and foremost, it's tone. You have a fine detector, good luck with it. HH jim tn

Sometimes numbers will jump if there is a lot of mineral and you are using a high gain unit, if you have the coil literally on the ground.
This can overdrive the front end--try picking the loop up a little (the amount varies so try different heights) and see if it helps.
I get more i.d. bounce with a big Nell than the stock coil.
(The least bounce is with analog units like a Tek Mk.1 or Whites Pro XL; single hit & rock solid.)

jim tn said:
The manual is correct, you will get a more accurate target i d with a little wider and brisker swing speed. I have fairly moderate ground and typically run sensitivity around 85 to 90. In heavy trash you will notice a big difference in using the 5" coil. That thing is like a laser and gets great depth.

Target i d is a good aid for helping determination to dig or not to dig, but first and foremost, it's tone. You have a fine detector, good luck with it. HH jim tn

Yes, entirely soil condition and trash infestation related.
A smaller sniper coil should help.

Thanks All, Revier I have been using the MXT most of the time I have been detecting, this is my first new Fisher. I will keep trying, I think the F75 is a very good detector. I think it would work better in open fields with less trash. I really like the feel and the balance of it. When I have a little more time on it I will let everyone know it is doing. Thanks for all the help. flintstone

Flintstone said:
Thanks All, Revier I have been using the MXT most of the time I have been detecting, this is my first new Fisher. I will keep trying, I think the F75 is a very good detector. I think it would work better in open fields with less trash. I really like the feel and the balance of it. When I have a little more time on it I will let everyone know it is doing. Thanks for all the help. flintstone

In open fields it works great, in extreme trash and insane iron it works equally great but you just have to learn what it is trying to tell you.
A different language, a little jumpier than you might be used to but a repeating, colorful and descriptive language never the less.
That is pretty much all I hunt in, extreme trash and iron, so I have had lots of practice and tons of success even using the big DD coil.
Snipers do make it easier though, can't even tell you how much I found and you probably won't believe some of the depths I have found some of my great targets using the 5"DD coil.
Recently I was going to get a new Nel Snake coil but ended up with a Sharpshooter instead and I am glad I did.
Rapidly becoming my favorite coil to use on my Fisher.

Flintstone said:
Hi All, Well just sent My F75 to Fisher. The setting knob just won't changes settings. That might have been my trouble. I may of been on 99 when I had it set to 29. It is still under warranty. I just got it in Dec. 2016, I talked to repair and they said to send it in, hope they can fix it. Will let you all know what happens. flintstone