Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

F75se What VDI's/tones do you get with gold targets

ramer

I recently did some tests with my F75se for a 10k and a 14k gold ring using stock 11 inch coil. I buried the rings 5 inches. I used disc 4, sensitivity 80, 3 tones, process Bp. Also, according to a tech at Fisher, the Threshold level setting on the All Metal side carries over to the Disc side. He suggested setting it at -6 to to reduce some chatter. So I set the Threshold at -6.
Consistently, the 10k came up with a VDI of 20-25 (foil range) and a mid level tone.
The 14k ring came up with a VDI of 35-50 (nickel range) and a high tone. I tried putting the rings at various angles with mostly the same results.
I was expecting to get a double sounding tone when the rings were placed flat but only got the single tone.
I was surprised at the consistent VDI's for the 14k ring. I dig all targets in the nickel range, mostly finding pull tabs and such but a lot of nickels too. After doing these tests, I have to admit that I dug a lot of foil for the next few days. But you never know, maybe there is a 10k gold ring wrapped in a piece of foil out there waiting to be dug up. :lol:
Anyone else have any numbers to post when they hit on any gold targets, rings, bracelets, earings, necklaces, etc.

The higher the kt the higher the VID on rings of the same size.
Yellow gold will ID higher than the same size ring in white gold.

Don't forget about the size and shape of the ring, I don't have anything to back this up but my guess is size and shape has more to do with the numbers than the k. The ladies rings usually are smaller in size and more petite but what they lack in gold they sometimes have diamonds. A lot of these will come in at the foil level. If you set disc at 25 you will still get most of the men's gold rings.

So I really don't think you can assign a number to any gold, there are just to many variables size, shape, k, depth, angle it is setting, heat of the day, cool of morning or evening, moisture, just about anything can an will change the number.

So for me when I hunt gold I use the 6 1/2" elliptical and disc at 15, Je processor and I should get most of the gold and a lot of trash.

Interesting comment about the threshold carryover to disc.

Ron in WV

Yeah...gold...what a tough metal to find, anywhere in the foil, or up in the zinc penny signal for a big class ring...the girls class rings and mens wedding rings are perfect pulltab signals in the mid to upper 30's...nice rings like that one Zeek found are right on nickle, and most of the little engagement rings are from 21 on up...I resigned myself to dig 1000 pulltabs my first year in this sport and got lucky on 3 girls class rings, I bet I dug 5000 tabs...Looking back its what got me so fast with a screwdriver on target retrieval, so its a worthwhile expenditure of effort.. The toughest gold to find is in the dirt of course, because of the effort to dig, and trash... the easiest ones are on the beach, or in the totlots. I have never found a gold ring in the 40's, but I still go after those and all solid signals. This was in the 50's on the beach, I found it just a few months after getting into this sport, and figured it was a common item found all the time, wrong!...I never get tired of looking at it, and will probably hunt the rest of my life without finding another!. If you go out thinking gold, and keying on the foil/nickle/pulltab signals, you will eventually find it. I've been out at least 33 times this year so far, and only found one little 10 k in a totlot, and by dang, I'm out looking! I did find 7 gold rings, and two gold medallions last year, cant remember if it was 7 or 8..who cares?
Mud

mudpuppy said:
Yeah...gold...what a tough metal to find, anywhere in the foil, or up in the zinc penny signal for a big class ring...the girls class rings and mens wedding rings are perfect pulltab signals in the mid to upper 30's...nice rings like that one Zeek found are right on nickle, and most of the little engagement rings are from 21 on up...I resigned myself to dig 1000 pulltabs my first year in this sport and got lucky on 3 girls class rings, I bet I dug 5000 tabs...Looking back its what got me so fast with a screwdriver on target retrieval, so its a worthwhile expenditure of effort.. The toughest gold to find is in the dirt of course, because of the effort to dig, and trash... the easiest ones are on the beach, or in the totlots. I have never found a gold ring in the 40's, but I still go after those and all solid signals. This was in the 50's on the beach, I found it just a few months after getting into this sport, and figured it was a common item found all the time, wrong!...I never get tired of looking at it, and will probably hunt the rest of my life without finding another!. If you go out thinking gold, and keying on the foil/nickle/pulltab signals, you will eventually find it. I've been out at least 33 times this year so far, and only found one little 10 k in a totlot, and by dang, I'm out looking! I did find 7 gold rings, and two gold medallions last year, cant remember if it was 7 or 8..who cares?
Mud

Little off this thread but how much gold is in that picture?

Ron in WV

I'm with the idea that the size would be more of a factor than content.
But, for conversation sakes and in theory here are some numbers from research,

Gold

9kt yellow gold wedding ring 9kt gold contains 37.5% pure gold (375 parts per thousand parts).

14kt gold contains 58.5% pre gold (585 parts per thousand parts).

18kt gold contains 75% pure gold (750 parts per thousand parts).

Now, I found out that "other alloys" are used to mix down the kt and to make the ring stronger and have better color. I couldn't find a complete list but I did find that "Copper" is one and is often used to help color yellow gold. So, in theory the lower the kt (9kt) of yellow gold the more copper could be used which should make it read if any difference a little higher than 14kt would.

One of the other metals used is silver for white gold (pure white gold is actually gray in color) so the silver helps with the color and reducing the kt rating. (at one time nickle was used but later on that was discontinued because some people had bad reactions to the nickle)

In gold that silver is used as the mixed metal than it would (should) act the same as the copper in that lower kt value may tend to read a bit higher, the more the filler the lower the real gold content.

But, I'm still with my Big brother than the size is going to be more of the issue than gold content.

Also, alloys can change from one manufacture to another and from one period of time to another.

Mark

These are my gold finds
Don't have an F75 but I do have an F2 and this is where they come in.
The purer the gold the more conductive and the higher it will come in, but I believe size has more to do with it than anything.
Chains are weird...they will come in low no matter what.

The second pic shows some F2 VDI numbers on gold.