Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FA mode VS FE mode in an upgraded F75se

ramer

I usually hunt using the FA mode with DST turned on. But then this week I discovered something that just floored me. Maybe it is just my machine or maybe not.
Here it is in a nut shell. In the FA mode I was barely able to hit a quarter at 6 inches but in any other mode like FE or JE, I easily hit a quarter at almost 13 inches. Now I didn't realize that there was this discrepancy until I started doing some testing in a test garden and with air tests. Now the reason I was into using the FA mode is because it is faster and does target separation better but had I known that (at least on my machine) that I was losing 5 or 6 inches in depth I would not have used it al all. It just didn't occur to me that using the FA mode would have made that much difference so I didn't bother to do any testing until I became suspicious that something was not right like never getting coins beyond 6 inches and sometimes going for hours with hitting a single coin target. My hunting buddy uses an Xterra 70, this guy is good, typically getting over a hundred silvers a year, so yesterday we did comparisons. His hit quarters at almost 12 inches and mine in FA mode only 6 inches.
Just putting all this out there so people are aware and if they have the same situations, we would like to hear about it. Or maybe it is just my machine. Don't know yet.
By the way, turning DST on or off has no effect on depth in any mode. That is a good thing at least.
Thanks for any replies.

My experience on in ground targets is that there is some loss of depth in FA mode verses DE, JE and BP. I, however, have dug 7" deep targets in the FA mode. None much deeper, though. By the same token, I have not dug any coin size targets 12-13" deep, either. FA, though, does have its use in heavy trash. HH jim tn

FA mode is significantly shallower than the other modes because it takes fewer "snapshots" of the target for the sake of being substantially faster. BP mode is deeper and a slower than FA because it takes more snapshots and has to process those more. CL is the slowest (but deep) to the point your coil can be past the target before you hear the audio report.

I agree with Jim TN, FA is very good in the trash, where depth often isn't as important. Deepest coin I've dug with it is 4", but I'm sure it would go a bit deeper if I ran over a deeper coin.

HH