Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fairgrounds gives up more goodies!!!

CZconnoisseur

We had a sunny day in the 50s yesterday so I took advantage of this and made a go of it at the old fairgrounds site. I started where the old wooden roller coaster was and initially found a bunch of iron junk as usual, and after almost three hours finally squeaked out a silver quarter at 6". Not far from there I got a solid "84" and thought I was digging yet another aluminum screw cap - but was in fact a dog tag from 1961 at about 7" deep. With me were a couple of hunting buddies, one who was swinging the 9" Deus and another who opted for the CTX 3030. They roughly stuck to the roller coaster area, and I explained that even in the highest reactivity setting it will be tough to find targets among the trash and rocks. I think they each found a few clad coins, but once the silver quarter came out they concentrated a little more on the area, but in the end didn't find anything too interesting.

Decided to take a break and go have lunch - when I came back I started hunting the opposite end of the fairgrounds where the horse track existed for almost 60 years from 1880 to about 1935. The area I hunted was paved over from the late 1960s until 2010, and the finds coming from that area have been older and more interesting. There are a lot of iffy signals there, and most of them so far have been bits of copper or brass, some aluminum; but the trash level is MUCH more manageable than the roller coaster area. Changed to prog#8 which has a default reactivity of 2, and is a much more stable program while hunting than Deus Fast. Also it seems to mitigate large iron a tad better and searches about 1-2" deeper on coins as well.

Found a roasted 1957 Wheat a few yards from the car, and then started to wander towards the middle of the old horse track. Swung for a good while with nary a repeatable signal and finally came across a confident "91" which was only about 3" down. This was the 1941 Merc which I didnt pinpoint too accurately and ultimately scratched it a little near the date :sadwalk: Thank goodness it wasn't an XF Barber!!!! Not 10 feet from there came the large British livery button, which after researching the maker's mark turns out to be from the 1894-1915 era!!! Another hotspot! The oldest coin for the day was a 1911 Wheat and it was pretty toasted - I had to tumble two out of four Wheats just to get a date, but the rough patina came off to expose a smooth uniform layer underneath.

The bullet is possibly from the Civil War era, but I haven't found it yet in any of my literature. Whilst looking for an ID of yesterday's bullet, I did manage to ID another bullet in my collection that has been a mystery for over 10 years, it was a rare C.D. Leet derringer round which was cartridged, and not separate from the powder.

So now just waiting on the warmer days so I can hit the fairgrounds and horse track site more often...I'm looking forward to the short hunts before and after work when the days are longer! Will keep y'all posted on future excursions...