Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fake T2's ??????

I'm probably the last one to know, but I just saw a video about how to check your T2's authenticity; and was disappointed to find that mine might be a fake:ranting: !!
According to the video, with the machine turned off, if you hold down the menu button while pushing the trigger away from you, then turning the machine ON, there should be a digital reading of 8.8 if I remember correctly.
The video goes on to say that most fakes will show 6.5.
Hell, my so called "Limited Special Edition" only shows a 6. !!!!
What's weird is, the machine appears to have cache and boost mode; but maybe that's fake too.
I bought the machine used off of evilbay about a year ago.
It even has a Kellyco decal on it.
Is this "fake" information correct, or do I just have an older version ???
Who the heck is putting these on the market ???
Can these machines be sent back for upgrades ????
Anybody else run into this ???????
I would appreciate any input regarding this.
Thanks for your time !

Mine comes in at 7.6, whatever that means.

I'm only guessing, but that may mean what software version the machine is programed with ?????
I just responded to another post started by a member in the Ukraine with the same questions.
Really sucks when you have to deal with stuff like this.

You contact Teknetics as there are, and is several version models. I had a 6 but it was the original T2 ........ They can tell you using the serial number if it's a fake..
Let us know after you call them...

8.8 sounds like the fake. I haven't read of any on this forum that register that high.

Mine is a Camo LTD 6.7 and if you just hold the trigger forward and turn it on it says LE on the screen..............Mark

Just did an email inquiry to a company in china about the T2 and they do have a good price and is it a fake? I do not know they could be the manufacture of these units
and they are just being assembling them in the USA by Teknetics.
Could be older surplus T2's old stock parts don't know.
If it is made with the same parts and works correctly then is it a fake or just an older version.
I also noticed that these T2 models come with different names like T2 gold finder.
No one wants to pay top dollar for a inferior copy or old stock so I understand how you are feeling.
You can look up a buddy on You Tube who tests the T2 gold finder.
I came to this posting to get educated as I had no way of telling what version the T2,s were being sold anywhere, new or used.
So I have learned how to display the units operating system edition which gives me a tool to determine the age of the detector, but the company needs to post all the variations of there detectors so the consumer can choose the edition that they want and not be stuck with a version that they do not want and if Teknetics won't do that
forum members should list there firmware # along with the model # .
Have you been happy with your T2 performance up until now?
Thank you for your post
Minas man

If you're buying new, buy from an authorized dealer. Otherwise you don't know what you're getting.

If you're buying used, ask the seller for independently verifiable proof that the unit being sold was purchased from an authorized dealer. Otherwise you don't know what you're getting.

It's against the law to import counterfeits. Once in the USA they are illegal merchandise, contraband. Therefore any counterfeit that arrives at the factory for service will be confiscated, and the factory is going to want to know who you obtained it from so the supply chain can be prosecuted.

--Dave J.

Good points Dave as to the importation of counterfeit products and getting service from the Teknetics. Here in Canada counterfeits are sized but if we the hobbyist can not tell a the real from the fake then how will the customs people unless the manufactures get involved.
Teknetics needs to alert its Dealers and customers as to the differences between the fakes and the real.
Here in North America we are faced with this daily with the choices and that is why try not shop at a dollar stores and support stores that sell made in Canadian or USA products.

I saw the other post on the Teknetics forum showing the insides of these China import Detectors. Got a price quote for 1 unit T2 from shenzhen well-dam technology co.,ltd.$260 +$100 shipping. They also sent me a list of all of there other products including Garretts and Minelab.

In saying that I try not shop at dollar stores that is true but this past year I had a ignition go in a Husqvarna saw and the dealer wanted $100 for the part so I went to eBay and got one + full tune up kit for the saw for about $20 shipped. I am off my high horse.The parts work fine.

If I was tempted to buy one of these knock off detectors I would buy one that was branded with a different name,"Gold Finder"= t2, to avoid seizure when importing.

Another thought is that when the price of gold skyrocketed so did the price of gold seeking detectors and that is when the knock offs become profitable so now with gold at $1200+ will prices come down to reflect the $500 oz price drop.

Minas man

I know Teknetics/First Texas had a video out a while back on how to spot the difference between the knock-off and real deal. I don't know if it's still on here but should be at www.tekneticst2.com.

When is a deal a deal?

If I get the SAME quality product for a lower price, I call it a deal.

To get a Lower quality product for a lower price is not deal.

Back to the T2 Fake ( I have one at home, but I have the real one too):

When I opened the box of the fake T2+ (Plus) a bad smell came out of the box. It was the cheap plastic softener smell. My wife told me to use gloves because she was afraid that I could get some sort of cancer by touching it.
The grip felt much softer than the real one and it did not go up to the control box like the real one does.
I compared the weight of all parts to the real one, and the weight was different.
The locking rings for the poles didn't work, the lower stem can be bent easily and that gives the hole detector a wobbly feel when you swing it.
The ground balance did not work and in-ground performance was way less than the real one.

It make more sense to buy an original Teknetics Eurotek, Delta, Gamma, Omega or G2 than a fake T2.

Andy

So, I went on the Teknetics website and found a link to product support or something like that, and emailed them with my machine serial number and my inquiry about this supposed fakery business.
That was the beginning of last week, and haven't heard a thing yet.
One would think they'd want to dispel any rumors.
I think they could've offered to take my questionable machine in and replace it or allow so much on a trade for a brand new authentic one !!:laugh:

I've emailed them through that link 3 times and have not heard a response yet and that was weeks ago. I called them up and they answered right away. They confirmed my serial number but stated you need to provide a dealer who you bought it from to be 100% positive it's authentic.

Repeating myself here..........

Dave J. said:
If you're buying new, buy from an authorized dealer. Otherwise you don't know what you're getting.

If you're buying used, ask the seller for independently verifiable proof that the unit being sold was purchased from an authorized dealer. Otherwise you don't know what you're getting.

It's against the law to import counterfeits. Once in the USA they are illegal merchandise, contraband. Therefore any counterfeit that arrives at the factory for service will be confiscated, and the factory is going to want to know who you obtained it from so the supply chain can be prosecuted.

--Dave J.

As the purchaser of a product, your recourse is through the seller. Legit manufacturers are not in the distribution chain for counterfeits, so if you've got a counterfeit, you can't expect any sympathy from the legit manufacturer, whether we're talking Rolexes or $20 bills or metal detectors.

In the specific case of the T2, the counterfeiters keep trying to stay ahead of our anti-counterfeiting efforts, meaning that there are a whole slew of different counterfeits kicking around. Therefore a method for distinguishing counterfeit from real T2's that was valid two years ago is no longer valid, and what was valid for new counterfeits half a year ago may not be valid now. .....As the purchaser of a T2 (or any other product that might be counterfeit), the safest way to get the real thing is to obtain it through authorized distribution. It's one of the reasons why this business arrangement called "authorized distribution" exists.

This forum is supported by sponsors. Right now as I scroll up to the top of this page, I see an ad for Big Boys Hobbies. They're an authorized Teknetics dealer. There's no mystery where to find an authorized dealer, and at the same time to support forum sponsors. It's right here. Alibaba and the forty thieves don't advertise here, we'd tar & feather 'em.

--Dave J.

Got mine from Bart @ Big Boys so no worries here.

Andy NM,curious what number or version came up with the fake when you turned on and held the button in and the toggle switch forward.HH Ron

People occasionally post wanting to know how to tell a counterfeit from the genuine article. There are two good answers, but they're answers the people doing the asking usually don't like.

1. Buy through factory authorized distribution.

2. The factory cannot give you reliable information how to tell a counterfeit from the real thing.

Item #1 is a no-brainer: Big Boys Hobbies is an authorized dealer and what's more, Big Boys is the dealer sponsor of this very forum. They ain't hiding anywhere. We've got many dealers, not just Big Boys, but anyone reading this forum who wants to buy a real Teknetics knows where to start. It's not eFlay, Clogslist, or the 40 thieves of Alibaba.

Item #2 deserves a bit of explanation since it's not necessarily obvious to everyone. Manufacturers who are having to fight counterfeiters have to keep changing the product and/or the anti-counterfeiter strategies, because the counterfeiters work hard and fast to make it difficult for a customer to tell the difference between a counterfeit and the real thing. If I were to tell you "a real Tek T2SE looks like this", by the time I'm telling you that, there may be counterfeits which have copied that, and I'd be describing a counterfeit! ........Also, the industry is developing anti-counterfeiting measures which are not physical characteristics of the product, but which relate to authentication measures. In most cases, the factory does not disclose the details of the authentication measures beyond what is necessary for the authorized distribution chain to utilize the authentication measures.

Counterfeits are illegal merchandise, contraband. Any counterfeit that arrives at the factory for any reason will be confiscated, and questions will be asked.

--Dave J.