Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

False hits on sand with Garrett MH 7 ADS

Thylacine

Hi all.

I seem to have a lot of false hits when I am at the beach, if the sand is a little rough and the coil brushes over the damp sand I have a response but when I swing back and don't bump the sand there is no tone. I am assuming that these are false hits as I can't find any target when I dig and I loose the tone.

I read that having a loose cable will cause false hits at the beach and on wet grass too, the answer is to wrap the cable tighter around the shaft of the detector. The MH 7 is an older machine on grass it has been great but sand is were the rings are and I would like to use it at the beach.

So what's the answer, has anyone else had a similar problem?

Someone who has an older Garrett told me that because of the heavily mineralised soils we have locally (Australia) some of the older machines will give false positives!

Although I have waterproof coils, I don't use them in the water, just in case the seals have given out over time.

Also has anyone on the forum used the older Garretts to search for nuggets, are they up to finding gold the size of a match head?

Oldest find so far 1939 penny found out back of a country hall.

From memory I think this detector is noisy over salty beach sand (wet)
Use a coil smaller than the 12 inch and see if the machine will GB the salt, you may have to lower sensitivity.
You could try the Disc mode and use the disc control to try and Tune out the salt as some detectors have a disc range that will disc out salt.