Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Falsing :surrender:

MNCoinhunter

Ok . .so on top of 2013 being, for me, the absolute worst detecting season in recorded history, my almost 3 year old Explorer has suddenly become very sensitive to any movement. It doesn't matter which coil is attached, it will false at the slightest movement. I am about ready to throw it in the river .. ground balancing, resetting or rebooting does nothing. Please stop me from adding it to the burn barrel.

Don't do it! Send it in this Winter. When you get it back you will jump with joy. Hang in there. My '13 season has been pretty lame too. GL and HH. Matt

Do not treat it bad, it has done you well. Just think how many hours of enjoyment you have had with it and now it is having a bad day. Time to send it to the Tune up shop so it will be ready again for you.

Do you have an X1 Probe installed??
If so I would try it without the probe installed. If not I would send it in as others suggested.
I have looked at and commented on all your posts Dave and don't go there you have done very well with the Explorer. I too have had many a seasons in the last 30+ years that paled in comparison to others but, just when I think its been terrible things turn around. Hang in there friend all will work itself out. :thumbup:

Loose connection or something probably, bad coil . I had a falsing SE once, so I changed coil , brand new one from minelab , guess what new coil made no difference. Some SE 'S false due to bad coils or worst case scenario a faulty circuit in the control box.

I had a falsing SE a few years back , tried 3 new coils from minelab - the detector still falsed on wet stubble stalks but ok on dry conditions. Sold it - problem gone! Suspected circuit board fault and / or bad coils.
I bought an SE pro second hand and well used last year , that falsed too intermittently after 20 minutes use mostly but could do it right away at switch on (in both dry or wet conditions) - suspect coil, but this can be a circuit board fault too. I got my money back off the dealer on that one.
My latest SE (not pro) works a dream - conclusion = there are good and bad SE'S out there.... They are not all good...

It sounds like a 80% coil or coil connector problem. If your have tried the coils on someone else's detector and they work.. sounds like the connector into the housing may have corrosion or a bad pin. If Minelab or Kellyco won't fix,,any electrician would be able to check out the board for bad resistors , capacitors, relays etc and have it diagnosed and repaired in a short time. I had 2 years of HS electronics and could have done that back then. Your local HS electronics teacher would probably help out and fix cheaply! Mine has acted up at times like this but rarely.. all those times there was high tension wires and may have had large bursts of juice going thru them... by lowering the sense down to about 8 or 9 it stopped.. after a while I could raise it back to where I was hunting. Maybe just PMS! lol ... I could see it being a Screen controls cover being bad also... If thats the only problem the menu button could be bad that gets to to Noise Control. I've had black sand build up in my coil covers which when there was enough the coils went erratic until I cleaned out the cover. I've had a coil with a microscopic crack and water would very slowly seep inside and the poohy.. very erractic and it would take 1-2 weeks for the water to evaporate out of the coil. Then 3 coats of spray plasti-dip with coil cover on solved that problem. As coils weather and age... they get arthritis. coils last about one or two years hunting regularly over hot dessert sands.. then those gold hunters throw them away or get some sucker to buy them on ebay! lol This was for others..Glad he took your detector back!!! Ever find out what was wrong with it? John GL/HH ;):detecting: