Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Farm field find

homebre

Any idea what this may be? I found it in a recently plowed field that had some Revolutionary War History. I have no idea if it is a shot or just iron junk. It weighs just under 8 oz and is iron and round.
Andy from Hillsborough

Howdy Homebre--

It COULD be a meteorite. If it is it's worth quit a few $$'s! If you want to have it tested here is a place to do it:

http://www.meteoritetesting.org/Submitting%20a%20sample.htm

Best of luck and....

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I say its grape shot... I have found Rev War Grape Shot before... here is a photo of the ones I have found to compare to your example

Howdy alexb--

I've never dug grapeshot. Is grapeshot usually iron? When hombre questioned weather it was "just iron junk", I assumed that it was magnetic and therefore the POSSIBILITY of it being a meteorite came to mind. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Members of my Metal Detecting Club said it appeared to be grapeshot. I also found a blue-green hook that I thought was junk and turned out to be a Union CW J-hook.

yes, grape shot was iron... Here is a nice illustration of Rev War grape shot... Where I had found mine was in a known Rev War skirmish site. I have also found iron grape shot in CW camps as well...

Howdy alexb--

Thanks for the info! I always learn something on this site! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel