Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Feeling good about the Deus

Trance

I purchased a Deus recently and haven't been able to use it much because of the crazy Colorado weather. About two weeks ago I flew out to Northern California to visit family and decided to take the Deus with me because the area we were headed to used to be a gold mining town. While I was there I didn't get to detect much because of freezing temps and it rained almost every day. The last day I was there the weather cleared up so I was able to get out and do a little detecting. There were some areas where they had cut into the mountain sides to widen the roads so I decided to detect one area where a bunch of material had come down from the top because of all the rain. The dirt was red and was making my detector really chatty. There were rocks that were setting it off also. Found a few items that were probably from the old days when they were mining up at the top of that hill including an old silver spoon. When I got back to Colorado last week I took the detector out after work to try to get a little detecting in before the sun went down and it was going crazy as soon as I turned it on. After about 20 minutes I gave up because it was so chatty and the numbers were jumping all over the place. I thought something was wrong with it and remembered reading something in Andy's book about keeping the coil cover clean so I took the cover off and what do you know. Some of the red dirt from California had got under the cover so I cleaned it up and the Deus is working great. I took it out today for about 2 hours and found a ton of coins using Andy's high performance coin program that I loaded last night. None of the coins are anything special but I'm just happy that there's nothing wrong and the new program really seemed to wake the detector up. I don't think I've ever found that many coins in such a short period of time so I'm really hoping the weather is nice enough for me to get back out tomorrow.

[attachment 341156 20170210_190904_resized.jpg]

Got out for about 3 hours this morning and found more coins. None of them are old but most were between 4 to 8 inches. I'm really liking the high performance coin program I got from Andy's book. The coin signals really come through loud and clear. Especially nickels. This is the total from the past two days. Digging all the zinc penny signals is wearing me out but I'm hoping one of them will end up being gold.

[attachment 341181 20170211_124455_resized.jpg]

Very nice group of clad you got there..sooner or later you'll get silver or gold,and I hope it's big..What are your settings for andys high performance coin ?

These are the settings I've been using. I think I'm going to switch to 5 tone and mess with the breakpoints and tones a little. If anyone has a coin/jewelry program they would like to share that would be great it.I had a Deus 3-4 years ago for a short time and sold it. Decided to give it another try so any advice would be appreciated.

Disc- 8
Freq- 12khz
4 tones 1st tone 200hz, 8/351hz, 45/603hz, 71/800hz
Sensitivity 92
TX power-3
Iron Volume 2
Reactivity 1
Silencer 1
Audio response 4
Overload 1

Made some modifications after spending a few hours doing air tests with different coins, gold and silver jewelry. Hopefully I'll be able to get out tomorrow at lunch or after work to test the new settings.

Looks like you are doing really well. Keep posting. It is nice to the see pictures of your finds

These are my keepers from the 30 minutes or so I was able to detect while in Northern California a few weeks ago. A 1944S wheat, 1956D wheat, an ear ring (looks like gold but not sure) and what looks like a piece of lead.

[attachment 341254 20170212_191002_resized.jpg]

If you're hunting coins/jewelry then consider using Reactivity at 2 or 3 with Silencer at 1-2. Using a little Silencer won't cost too much depth and it helps identify aluminum a little better. If you have a small aluminum token you can see how the audio differs a little with Silencer vs no Silencer. Even an aluminum coin the same diameter as a copper or silver coin - you can hear a sharp "edge" on the audio, I don't know how else to describe it.

12kHz is hottest on nickels from all of my testing - I use 4kHz all the time and it's not as good on nickels as ANY other frequency, but likes small coins like dimes and pennies. You could maybe make your ground noise into a low-Hz tone - the ground here is pretty mineralized...not sure what part of the state you live in but when I've tried to hunt with 8 or 12 khz the ground noise is unbearable, and worse in the higher elevations!

Mike sent me this video a while back, see if you can adapt it to suit your hunts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BmQ8J-lkRo

I was ble to get out for a bit today and try the new settings. Wasn't too happy with them so it's back to the drawing board. Thanks for the advice CZ. I'll adjust the reactivity/silencer settings tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm in Castle Pines which is about 20 miles south of Denver and 12khz has worked pretty well but it does get noisy in some areas. I've always thought that the lower frequencies didn't do well on gold so I've really never tried 4khz. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Trance,
Your terrain should be very similar to CZ's...

That guy is a coin finding artist/guru with the Deus. If you search for his posts, you'll see his various settings in greater detail. :thumbup:

Good luck,
:)
mike

I'll do that. What I really need is more hours in the day so I can get outside and do some testing on real targets. I've done a ton of research on the Deus and what seems like a good idea on paper doesn't seem to work all that great in the field. It's making me a little crazy but I'll get it figured out.

I found one of CZ's 4khz programs and gave it a try today. It really quieted the detector down and I found 36 coins in about 1-1/2 hours of hunting using it. The only change I made was switching from full tones to 4 tones. The place I hunted had a lot of trash and the sounds were making my head spin. I'll probably switch to full tones eventually. Thanks for the advice guys. It's really appreciated.

[attachment 341330 20170214_184734_resized.jpg]

I put a thin coat of silicone on my Sovereign GT in between the edge of coil and the coil cover. You don't have to take it apart that way. Just wash it off. I'm going to do that to my Deus, but haven't done it yet. HH-Mark

Congratulations on the finds and if you are hitting the newer ones, you will hit the older ones when you get over them.

Glad the program is helping you . . . . . the beauty of the Deus is the ability to customize it to how YOU want it to respond . . . once you get some run time under your belt you can make some tweaks for your area and the type of targets you are looking for to get it dialed in and really open her up.

Hope to see more of your finds . . .

Andy Sabisch

Made it out this morning for 2-3 hours and found a bunch of coins. They are mostly newer coins except one of the dimes is a silver. I found a strange one that says Hong Kong on the front with Chinese symbols but on the back it says 5 dollars. It looks like two coins stuck together but as far as I can tell it's one coin or some sort of token. Probably nothing special but just curious if anyone has any ideas?[attachment 341463 20170218_134943_resized_1.jpg]