Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

field day at a south shore lake

A

Anonymous

From the land of the Bluenose...after a mere two years of planning , the elusive Dan the Man and I finally made the journey down the south shore for a two day dig. Dan who is in the coast guard had been in the Shelburne area while his ship was in dock and indicated that he had saw several good spots worthy of a dig. With a nice early start (up anyway as I drove Marie to work)we headed down the 103 with Goquikski just a purring on cruise control and lapping up the miles within the normal confines of the law. Felt kind of safe doing the mandatory 10 kilometers per hour over the speed limit as the 103 is a provincial series highway and has no service (donut shops) on it for most of the two and a half hour drive.
Arriving at Shelburne we checked in to our 5 star temporary accommadations and pitched our tent on lot 14 which is a stunning site over looking the water which is home to blue herons, ducks and flying blood suckers that are immune to even the best of the best bug repellants. At this time I asked Dan where those wonderful digging spots where to which he repsonded by taking me to a school yard.......not exactly what I had in mind given the history of the area........da! Such is life. So we drove around the area for a while looking for a spot as the school yard was paved with no playing area and I'm sure even the most die hard detectorist would have trouble getting a digging tool through the pavement. One hour and a quarter of a tank of gas later we arrived back at the camp ground for a bite to eat but Dan realized that he had forgotten the propane...da! So it was into the car and a trip to Tim's for a coffee and bagel.toasted, butter with herb and garlic cream cheese. At the campground gate along the way I had stopped and asked Jim , the campground supervisor about spots for a possible water dig as Dan the Man had run out of "good spots." Jim being a life long resident of the area qucikly retorted that there was two spots where folks had swam for years. So after the lunch stop we headed to Beaver Dam which turned out to be a quagmire with God knows what lurking under the gooey green surface. So it was off to spot number two which looked most promising and actually had people in the water...swimming...enjoying themselves... as the weather had become progressively hot and muggy with a cooling off dip the order of the day. Finally a place to dig! Heading with my new custom made six foot metal detecting bag (Marie's brother had made it for me and only took 8 months to get)I entered the changing area and my heart just dropped into this here bouy's boot. Posted in the changing room was a notice that if anyone lost valuables call Eric or Bob, detectorists at such and such a number. Well that was just peachy and par for the course . Actually thought for a moment of how I'd like to take out some of my frustrations on the 18th green of the nearest club with a shovel! Lord love a duck. Son of a seahorse this trip was falling rapidly apart at the seams. What the halibut I put on the old 3/4 wet suit and tromped into the water anyway.......why not. Nothing could get any worse. Well let me tell you me son was I full of it! For the remainder of the day till it was too dark I dug , I dug and I dug somemore as I couldn't move without hitting a target. By nightfall I had recovered the following from it's watery grave; 221 coins totalling $38.01,3 silver rings, 2 kids rings, a copper ring, a braclet with black stones, dog tags for one C.A. Walker Canadian Armed Forces serial number (oops I'll skip that one and return the tags to the MP's at Windsor Park), medic alert braclet, a heart shaped pendant with "Grant" engraved on it,2 religious medals,3 10 cent Netherland coins that may have come from a wrist braclet dated 1937, 38 and 44 (good silver), a Victorian large cent (toasty), 5 cent sales tax token (new one to me and no date), NHL hockey token with Sergi Berrizan on it, 1968 Bronco token, 1977 N.S. token of some jubilee, Canadian driving token, and a kids token for some ET fun zone arcade. No gold but what the heck.
It dawned on me after exiting the water that the two locals who had the poster up in the changing room haven't heard of Garrett Seahunter XL500 pulse water machines or any of the other fine water machines! Even Dan had managed a couple of dozen coins and a ring on the beach. With all the children buzzing around him he looked like a bees nest that had been stirred up.
Back at out delux abode we cleaned up and headed to town to sample some of the night life which was nonexsistant but did run into an old friend , Bud Wiser who keep me company as Dan was playing pool with the locals and relieving them of a few dollars. Everyone has there fortie. Unfortunately Dan's is not finding digging spots. Can't recall the drive back "home" but Dan said it was scenic as I had given him my keys upon entering the "Sea Dog" Lounge.
Next morning I awoke in the car to the music of the blue herons haunting sounds (at least I think it was these lovely creatures) as Dan had forgotten the air matresses and the ground was just too hard for this bouy's soft body.We quickly packed the tent and gear and juiced up at Tim's and headed home. Imagine the next trip that we plan will take at least three years!

Beautiful story, Bluenose Leslie! You should write a book.
HB