Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Field of Shells

JoanInCreek

I went to a small field today, expecting to find remenants of a bulldozed building. With rocks scattered all over, I assume it was going to be walking on broken concrete and cement- a prime area to dig in. :detecting:

But there was not a shred of modern trash or construction material. Amazing actually. The rocky areas turned out to be shells and lots of them. There is water body nearby-grabbed a nice complete shell from its edges. I assume years ago they drained the land and formed the nice neat little lake (South Florida loves to move water bodies and reduce their sizes, make them square or rectangle), then cleared the rest for the home depot, pet store, etc... This land filled with streaks of old shells, bleached from the sun or green with algae and have been sitting in all sand. I estimate 85% shells, 15% stones,small rocks (the kind that make the detector chirp and beep like crazy). The dark areas I assumed was asphalt, maybe a driveway or a pad that a mobile home sat on or a fruit stand-but that tirned out to be sediment. I did not detect once I discovered it was everglades water sediment, simply walked it looking for shells.

I am going back there tomorrow, snap a picture of this now very uncommon sight. Very West Coral Springs was built on these- I used to walk the lots about ten years ago before the homes were built and gather shells right off the sandy land.

The shells still need to be cleaned thoroughly. I only rinsed them and got all the loose sand out. Wanted to share this, becuase it is very uncommon to find shells on land 8 miles from the coean. This what the area used to be, many moons ago!