Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

figuring out Tesoro sounds

cdsmith46

I have tried this before, but would like to try again. In the past, I used Minelab Sovereigns, and was able to understand within a certain tonal range what they were telling me. Now, two things are true: I no longer use Minelab; and my hearing has not gotten better. Having bought two Tesoro's in the past and gotten rid of them because I couldn't make heads or tales, would someone explain Tesoro signals to me?
What I have been told is that over certain metals, the Tesoro's tend to make a smoother sound. I really can't seem to pick that up, even with extra-sensitive head phones. I desperately want this to work. Is that slight variation in tone the best that I can hope for, or is there more?

well crumpled foils will make a more arty tip sound , and nice round things tend to make the smooth sounds but I am like you in the disc department i can't tell , I can tell some things in all metal but its just not going to be like a TID machine, thats for shure

I thank you for your blatant honesty! I have wondered if I was so totally wrong all of this time. That's what using a Minelab machine did to me. But I will go back and put together a package of various and sundry junk items and some gold and silver things begin to see if any of the make sense to me. Again, my sincere thanks...

Google "tips and tricks with tesoro tejon - ubuntu one" (without the quotation marks). It leads to a PDF file you download, article explains the sounds.

I found two silver coins this year and correctly ID both of them before digging . Its something you have to get use to . Silver dimes that are several inches deep usually fade when the disc is turned up. The higher the disc the quieter the sound. Quarters blare all the way through, at least the ones I have found do. Maybe on x-tra deep quarters they will fade too. I just havent found any deep silver quarters yet.

In my experience, you're simply going to dig more with a Tesoro. I had a Cibola for a few years and I could tell if it was iron or something non-ferrous and perhaps coin-sized, but if it had any depth to it, like over 6", disc'ing it out didn't necessarily mean it was trash. Even with ID machines I suspect we're walking over good targets if it's much deeper than 6 or 7 inches and we think we know it's a pull tab versus a coin or ring. Have you ever noticed how deep, good targets can actually register as iron?

I'm still getting to know the sounds the Compadre makes. But a clear hard hit in both directions is normally something decent. Where I get fooled is just before nickel the pull tabs hit hard if they are close to the surface. But I have found coins under them when carefully checking the hole.

I'm not the most experienced here for sure, but when the signal seems to be clean and a smooth sound the targets are of better shape and or metal, Iron, foil, screw caps, seems to be a ruff, harsh, dirty sound. (I use a Tejon)

Mark

something you might try is to set your disc way up and reject everything below pulltabs? You will not find any gold jewelry or nickels doing that but you will weed out a lot of the crap by doing that. I'm a silver guy so that's the way I run my GSII and RARELY dig a pull tab but also limited to silver/copper and silver jewelry. If nothing else by discing out the crap your better targets to junk will probably increase and that might make it easier for you while you learn your machine. Once you get more comfy then you can lower the disc because you know your machine better?

I understand your frustration.... I'm in the learning process with my Etrac after using my GSII for 22+ yrs (put maybe 8-10hrs on my Tejon is all and now it sits). Tesoro ain't no Minelab and vice-versa......2 different beasts and they both have their place.....

Only way to learn is to dig.......

PS...if you (or anyone) want a Tejon, I got a brand spankin new one I'll part with....

I sure would like to see a MD company make a VIDEO of their machine's tones over various objects and in various disc modes. You can go to any forum-- but especially Tesoro-- an read descriptions of what the user is hearing. This has never helped me one bit. If only Tesoro (and others) would record the audio of their machines over objects (in the ground, not air tested!) and include it on a DVD or CD with their detectors, it would greatly speed up the learning process. Since Tesoro is almost exclusively a hunt-by-sound machine, they would benefit most by including this learning tool with their detectors. I do see a Youtube video now and then that has tone references on it, but mostly just the coin signals and even them not too often.

C'mon Tesoro, Rosetta Stone doesnt make a set of DVDs for your machine's language, so its up to you!

With the exeption of the lobo, the HOT machines give very little target information when hunting in disc mode. The silver umax, seems to have vocal chords in comparison to the vaquero i owned. The compadre wasn't quite as good as the silver but still pretty good and a lot hotter on gold. Any of the older units i tried were all had good target info, easily read by ear.
The tejon, vaq, and cibola have only very minor subtleties not easily heard by my ears, much less used as a form of discrimination that normally would be with other umax machines

My Deleon has good tone for hearing the differences. Also the golden uMax I had did well. The Compadre, I can't tell the difference at all in the tone. The vaquero I had I could tell iron pretty good.

Like i said , you get use to it. I have the Vaquero and I thumb the disc up most of the time.I thumb it pretty quickly and listen to the way the target tone changes.Double beeps just past nickle usually end up being tabs.Signals that fade are usually deep coins , especially silver dimes.

I almost always hit the pinpoint button and give a swing or two. Deep iron doesnt really fool me it just sounds interesting enough that I often dig it. Shallow iron makes a high piercing sound with the pinpoint button depressed. I cant identify gold because of its rarity. Every time I find gold it has been a surprise. Rusty nails and wire can be identified because they are hard to pinpoint . Bottlecaps get dug unless Im in a bunch of them , then I start ignoring their broken signal. Foil the same way. I dig it unless theres a lot of it. I often raise the coil off the ground , if its still hitting hard at a foot or beyond, its large , perhaps an aluminum can. I do all this fairly quickly.

There is no doubt that using the Vaquero has made me a better detectorist than when I used a display machine. I think I could go back to the display unit and use it better than in the past , but I have come to like the Vaquero to much to change .

cdsmith46 said:
I have tried this before, but would like to try again. In the past, I used Minelab Sovereigns, and was able to understand within a certain tonal range what they were telling me.
Which Sovereign models, and did you have the added VDI numeric read-out?

What types of sites do you hunt and what are you usually after?

cdsmith46 said:
Now, two things are true: I no longer use Minelab;
I commend you for that. I have owned a number of various Minelab models, including a few Sovereigns, and while there were a few times I liked them, I preferred the White's or Tesoro's I was using better.

cdsmith46 said:
... and my hearing has not gotten better.
The military has pronounced me "deaf" since applying for full-time civil employment at Hill AFB since 1982. Since then an injury in 2010 left me with my better [size=small](at the time)[/size] right ear ruptured and a hearing aid helps just slightly. My bad ear [size=small](then)[/size] is now by better but still terrible ear to try and hear with. I've had to eliminate some favorite models from my personal detector arsenal due to the audio output not being a good fit. I use top-quality headphones designed for the metal detectorist [size=small](Killer B 'Wasp', Killer B 'camo', and White's Pro-Star)[/size], and without them I would not be out detecting much.

cdsmith46 said:
Having bought two Tesoro's in the past and gotten rid of them because I couldn't make heads or tales, would someone explain Tesoro signals to me?
Which Tesoro models did you own, and how much time did you put in using them?

Did they have manual Ground Balance?

How much Discrimination did you use?

Which search coil(s) did you use?

Tesoro models are, for the most part, analog-based circuitry. They are genially a slow-motion, quick-response circuitry design, and it is very important to NOT sweep the coil too quickly [size=small](in the motion-based Discriminate mode)[/size] if the ground mineral content is high, 'challenging,' or of dense mineral make-up [size=small](such as black sand, pea gravel, rocks, etc.)[/size]. ALL metal detectors are going to respond to targets in their own different ways. Some detectors have a saturated, full-strength audio. Some have a partially saturated audio based upon the target's distance from the coil and the control settings. Others will have a more modulated audio response.

Due to search coil type and size, as well as how a particular detector processes the target's signal, some will sound different on targets that are "on edge" or a target's 'depth,' as well as how the different detectors and coils can deal with various ground mineral content. What audio response you might perceive from some detectors on a particular target might change and sound different simply by a change of search coil, a change of Discrimination setting, a change in sweep speed, or a change in the target's size, shape or position, and/or the presence of any nearby metal target [size=small](target masking)[/size].

If you spend enough time with some makes and models of detectors, you can learn to hear some of the subtle audio qualities they might offer. I found that easier to hear, for example, with models such as White's Classic series, most Tesoro models, and a few that closely patterned their circuitry design on the Tesoro type analog circuitry [size=small](better described as copy-cat circuitry seen in brands like the former GMT models)[/size].

Tesoro models, in some ways, do have a particular audio characteristic that a savvy detectorist can learn, but it isn't an overnight thing. You have to use the detector model, often, and be attentive to your settings and coil presentation as well as the ground make-up and target depth, to learn what they might have to offer. If you only use a Tesoro, or really any detector, on only an infrequent occasion, and you're not trying to listen and learn it ... and remember former target responses ... then it will be a struggle to master an understanding of a detector's audio characteristics.

Not that all makes and models produce a nice blend of audio characteristics to learn, either, because some detectors have too much processing of the signal to really provide any difference, or only minimal variations. Also, not all Tesoro models are going to give you the same audio interpretations. There were differences between the audio 'qualities' of models like the Silver Sabre, Silver Sabre II, Golden Sabre Plus, Royal Sabre, original Bandido and Bandido II, Pantera and other earlier era Tesoro's than were heard from the Silver Sabre

I had the same problem. I tried for over a year with the Vaquero, and couldn't hear any discernible differences in the single tone. I gave up and now I am very pleased that I moved on to multi tone machines.

atomicscott said:
I had the same problem. I tried for over a year with the Vaquero, and couldn't hear any discernible differences in the single tone. I gave up and now I am very pleased that I moved on to multi tone machines.
Don't listen for the tone to change, but the quality of the tone. It don't give one tone for a nickel and a different tone for a quarter, in fact these will sound the same. But a the coins vs some trashy stuff like crumpled up foil or a rusty bottle cap will be "Clean and Smooth" vs "Harsh or Rough, maybe even a little Choppy"
When I first got my Tejon It wasn't to long before I started saying to myself 'This one doesn't sound very good' or 'This one sounds like a keeper'

Mark

The problem is that for people with hearing difficulties its extremely hard if not impossible to tell the difference between 'clean and smooth' or 'hard and rough'.
This comes up constantly with new owners of Vaqueros,etc. Even those without hearing issues have this problem which, over time, they somewhat overcome but, no amount of time or experience is going to help that person that has lost significant ranges of their hearing.

I agree; you are spot-on correct. I just have to gather samples and try to learn some basic responses that will get me through...