Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally found my way back home :).....

gsmith

Been all over the place with detectors the last year and a half...started back in Oct. 2010 when I finally retired my old whites idx I'd had for 12 yrs and bought a x-terra 505...kept it about 4 months, fell for the garrett hype and traded it for a atpro...kept the pro for about 6 months and after 3 trips back to garrett for various problems.. traded it for a f-75 ltd...tried to like it... very deep...kept it 4 months and the noise finally drove me insane!!!...so I traded it for a Safari...had the Safari for about 1 1/2 months and could never get any depth outta it? Tried every trick and bit of advice I got or could think of but still couldn't get more than a few inches outta it even in my test garden...talked to a few Safari owners and found out that wasn't uncommon in some area's sooo...we traded off the Safari for a 705 with an extra coil to be named later to Richard at Backwoods ( your the man Richard!!)....it's in a ups delivery warehouse here in town waiting to be delivered Monday, be the 1st weekend in about a year I can't go swing a little :( oh well that will give me the chance to read Randy's book....so anyways you might say things have come full circle with a upgrade and I shoulda just stuck with the x-terra's to begin with!!..... Live and learn!!!!

Welcome back!
[attachment 222208 welcome9.gif]

Thanks for the post. It kinda reassures a newbie with their first detector that they made a solid choice. I'm in the process of learning the 705 and later today I'm going to look for my wife's bulb planter and make a mini-coin garden.

I understand where you're coming from. I went for the FBS hype. Traded my Xterra 705 towards a Safari, couldn't get used to the sounds. Traded it towards an Etrac. Still have the Etrac but I'm apparently one of the few who don't think it is all that great in comparison to other machines. Don't get me wrong, it's a good detector, but with the weight, slow sweep speed and still have to dig trash if you don't want to risk missing jewelry, I repurchased a new Xterra 705. I too dealt with Rich at Backwoods Detectors thru all these trades and repurchases. Glad to be back with the Xterra. It's lighter and has a faster sweep speed allowing covering of more area on a hunt. I believed all the Etrac users who say they can differentiate between a clad quarter and a silver quarter, well you can't, they read the exact same TID and sound the exact same way. After you read posts of the honest Etrac users who are saying they dig varying numbers and those who still dig iffy signals so they don't miss any gold jewelry, I figured I'd go back to the Exterra where you still do those things, just with a lighter and faster machine. It might not be quite as deep and certainly can't work a salt beach wet sand like an Etrac, but it works for me.

There could be a lot of people here who could tell a similar story...I still have my X Terra 70, and it's still a great detector, even though I still use other detectors and other brands. The weight of the X Terra (as compared with the FBS and BBS machines) allows me to use it for longer periods without damaging myself. It's a pleasant machine to use and does it's job well.....what more can you ask? HH

Had mine for a week now and found 47 coins 1-silver chain 1- 10k ring and some trash of cause. Not easy to use if you are a first time user READ THE BOOK AND WATCH UTUBE OVER AND OVER. Me no problem 40 years using detectors, BUT I'M STILL NOT AN EXPERT

Sure makes me glad i purchased the xterra 705 this past november after much investigating...... I am really enjoying this machine even though it's my first MD (besides a radio shack one from twenty years ago)
Joe