Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally got out today :minelab:

Sgt. Silverman

Well, it's been almost 2 years since I hit all of my old spots so I was pretty excited to see what two years of tot lot replenishment would look like. Let's just say, I'm not alone out here any more :)

I went to a park that always yielded great finds (2 Gold Rings as well) but the gates were locked. No problem, plan "B" was put in motion. I headed to what was once a very productive tot lot and it took me only 20 minutes to get the hang of the X-terra. However, all I heard for the first 3 to 4 minutes was the low hum of the threshold. I had to toss my wedding band on the ground a couple times to make sure it wasn't the machine or my settings. My first find was a button, then another button. Then I hit a pulltab, then the nickel about 10' away, and then the penny. All 1" shallow. (And I was swinging SLOOOOWWWW and low with tight overlapping passes to make sure it wasn't me). My takeaway from this was; whoever hit this place probably used discrimination and missed the buttons, nickel and pulltabs. I shrugged off the paltry finds and jumped in my car.

I arrived at another great tot-lot across the city from me 15 minutes later. However, this place was picked clean as well. I found 3 pennies and a few pulltabs. The metal tubes I found walking back to my car. I was very surprised that both these spots were picked clean. (I even dropped the sensitivity to get close to the metal equipment but to no avail.)

So, lesson learned; just because I had the cities tot-lots to myself back in the day doesn't mean I don't have company now. I now know that I need to do some more research for hopefully some new places:)

As for the X-Terra 70, to me it's almost a cross between an AT-Gold and the Explorer XS. There's too many positives for me to name here, but all I will say is the machine is extremely user friendly! A special thanks again to Travis for hooking me up with a great machine and to Mike for being the liaison!

Have a Blessed weekend everyone :)

Greg

If those other guys are discriminating and leaving behind the tabs then they will be leaving the gold for you too! :thumbup:

Exactly! Fine by me, they can take all the Zincolns that their hearts desire :)

Well, you weren't skunked, so did get a few coinies to photo! When you keep going with dedication and with the hope of finding something good, like gold and silver, you will eventually, for persistence and finding new detecting spots will pay off, sooner or later! God Bless and go for the gold and diamond rings! SMILE!! Amen! Ma

Glad you are liking your 70. I almost always hunt in all metal.

but I made the mistake of telling one of the guys at the detector shop about the finds. Didn't know he was a blabber mouth and now don't fine too much in those places. Out here in sunny :biggrin: California most of the school grounds are fenced and locked up when school is out due to the excessive vandalism. Glad you did make it out though. After the stormy weather is over and it gets warm enough to hunt you might do better if you can get there first. Don't forget to eyeball the melting snow piles in the well used parking lots. Some good finds there once in a while. One of the guys at the detector shop found and nice 14K gold bracelet that way.

Hey Mike, very great advice thank you. The great thing about NC is that we don't have the snow piles :) However, you are spot-on with the eyeballing and I'm glad you mentioned it.

Sorry to hear about the gentlemen who blabbed, that is a bummer. I do know that we have a gold dredging / detector shop not far from my house now so I'm sure some local folks are probably researching places to go. (I have not personally gone in there as of yet, only visited online)

I did some research over the weekend and have found some new places to go so I am pretty excited for the opportunity. And you are correct with getting there first because the "early bird definitely gets the worm " :)

I hope you and the family have a very Blessed New Year Mike!

Greg