Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally spent some time with the Blisstool

spdnj

Sorry for the delay on this between hunting the ctx and life it has been crazy. I know a lot of people are curious about the Bliss and can it do what the videos show. I will say up front that I have really only used the machine on the beach here, I can not say much in regard to inland hunting. Also I am a minelab hunter so I will be referencing their machines throughout this.
When people have written that the machine is specialized and has a huge learning curve they are correct, especially on the beach. Trying to get the machine to calm down on the various areas of the beach initially was nothing short of frustrating. It was only after talking to Bliss USA and their help that I was able to do so. I must say they did go out of their way to be very helpful. They are several hours away and even met with me on the beach. The reason it was so difficult to understand this machine is you must forget everything you know about using detectors, literally. If you use the same mindset of thinking that you are used to, turn up gain (gain is like sensitivity on other detectors) for depth turn down gain and lose depth but gain stability then you will go crazy. Also threshold, a setting called silencer and discrimination depth are major players in getting the machine to be stable, especially in moist or wet sand. Oh and do not mistaken discrimination depth for discrimination, they are two complete different settings. On a side note discrimination when turned all the way up will only take out lower conductive metals. In minelab terms low CO numbers, I did not figure out exactly how low but I would guestimate around 7-10 Co and below if even that high when turned all the way up. That equates to very small foil and targets like that. Another unique thing about the detector is that you can hunt with gain set to zero, yes in essence you have your sensitivity set to zero, being the lowest setting. The reason is, and don't quote me on this one, but being at zero gain (sensitivity) is like setting the machine to be at the level of gain that other vlf machines max out at. So when you are set all the way down you should in theory be getting the depth of other detectors and going up on the gain will allow you to run hotter. Now with this said all the rumors you have heard about being able to make this machine run very hot and be super sensitive are not exaggerated. I dont think you would ever find and area that you can crank everything up and run stable, you must throttle back the machine or it will be un-hunt-able. The first couple of times out with the machine it seemed impossible to get it to the point where you would even be able to hunt it, it was so erratic. Once I obtained some starting point settings from Bliss I was able to get the machine to settle down fairly quickly, even in wet sand. I also watched the machine get some pretty impressive depth. To get extreme depth you must really understand the machine and it takes a lot of time and a lot effort to even begin to get there. Also to get to the limits of what it can do depth wise and still be stable enough to hunt comes at a price. You must take the time and fine tune several settings. Settings that you normally would not think would make that much of a difference. The best way to explain this is to give you an example. Everyone who hunts and uses a threshold you are used to hearing that hum, you set it to be as low as you can and still be able to hear it and hunt. You go over iron and it nulls and you can hear it vary as you go by other targets. Well I watched the machine getting half descent depth on a target, there was really no audible threshold that I could hear coming out, we lowered it by 2 and the machine actually went a bit deeper and seemed a bit more stable. It was weird to say the least. Then there is a setting called silencer that you crank up to become more stable especially in wet sand, I am still trying to get a grasp what it is actually doing. Ok now another odd thing I saw. With the machine running fairly stable and getting very respectful depth you can actually at times get a repeatable false signal. Yes you read that correctly, a repeatable false signal. One that will stop you in your tracks and make you start digging a very deep hole only to never get a target. One frustrating part of this is that on many occasions once you open the hole you will get a false from the hole itself. This is one of the very best examples of the steep learning curve this machine has. First you must learn to identify a repeatable false from a target, then make sure you are centered on the target before you dig because there is no pinpoint button and the hole will cause a false. To back track a bit when you are running hot and you get a repeatable target there is a very subtle, and I mean very subtle difference to the sound of a repeatable false. You must take the time to walk around the target, make some fine adjustments, and false targets you can make disappear, a real target will stay. This in my opinion is one of the things that makes this machines learning curve so extensive. If I did not have someone from Bliss taking the time to explain this to me I do not know how long it would have taken to learn it on my own, many holes i am sure. Please remember these repeatable falses that I had to learn were on the beach, I can not tell you if they are something that will occur inland. Also please do not get the impression that these type of signals are everywhere to the point you can not hunt. They are randomly around, and you can decrease them by turning the machine down, but as you turn the machine down you will lose slight depth. You must as user either learn to hunt like this or throttle the machine back a bit to not deal with them. That is what makes this machine so different. It is not like most where you can turn up sensitivity until the machine is hot, then just pull it back a bit and run. You must really fine tune 3-5 settings for the area that you are in to run stable but hot. It is also what makes this machine not for everyone. In my opinion this machine is not for someone who wants to go out, turn on the machine and just hunt. This machine is for the person who does not mind taking the time to tinker to try to squeeze out a bit more depth. It is for someone who would not mind investing significant time into something to try to get that little bit more. With that said the machine is capable of getting impressive depth. That depth does come at a cost. The machine runs very hot and it is more of an art to pull out its full potential than a science. It may sound strange but you must almost learn to become in tune with what the machine is doing to maximize its capabilities and that takes time to learn.
Overall the machine is a deep seeker, I watched it keep up with what I consider to be some of the deepest general type hunting detectors on the market. To attain it's full potential you will need to invest time. I would not consider this to be an everyday detector for me, others may feel differently. I would say for me this would be more of a special use detector for special occasions where you know you are in an area with good deep targets and you need just a little more. With that said if you want to utilize its full potential you need to invest the time into it and remember that time will be time you will take away from daily detecting. That is why people say this machine is not for everyone, and it is not. You must make that decision for yourself. I will say the machine is very capable depth wise and for the very patient and determined hunter may make the difference under the right conditions.

I spent a lot of time with it at the beach last week. I purchased it to just be used at the beach. I too use a couple of the Minelab machines. I really think with time it will become a great asset to my group of detectors and I am sure with time it will prove to be very strong on the beach. I hope it will achieve the depths I am hoping for. There are targets just out of reach of many other detectors and those are what I am looking for and hope to find with the Bliss.

Sam - If the machine is setup and balanced properly for LAND conditions you will NEVER get a repeatable false signal.

In wet salt water sand I personally did not experience any false signal that remained solid and repeatable after swinging in multiple directions - at times it could actually be a very, very tiny piece of non-ferrous - that's how sensitive it is...sometimes in the farm fields we get a signal from a target so small the probe can't even find it - but going thru the dirt by hand it turns out to be a tiny piece of non-ferrous...that's harder to do on the beach in wet sand.

Yes, once the hole is dug in wet salt sand and the water fills the bottom, the machine will sound off. If you had a solid, repeatable, multi directional signal before you started digging - you can be confident there is a non-ferrous target in the hole. It could be up to 24" deep. You will need to keep checking the spoil to see if you have gotten it out. If it's not in the spoil you need to keep digging. We got signals on gold rings at over 20" that were banging loud and repeatable - so you'll never know until you dig it out. But by having iron discrimination (unlike a PI) you won't be digging deep holes for iron...

Yes we agree - the machine is not for everyone. It takes some time to master. That's great for the beach hunters - less competition for the real DEEP stuff...

Thanks for acknowledging the effort made by Blisstool USA to personally meet you and help you learn the machine. Carter agreed to make a series of detailed training videos in various detecting environments in order to help everyone learn how to tune the machine to their specific detecting situations.

I am very happy with my blisstool , I have been using it in the farm field , and yes you have to think to use it , its a balancing act but if you know how to balance it its apowerfull machine yes to much gain and it will choke the signal out like most detectors for example i did a test in my badd ground test garden dimes buried from 2" all the way to 12" my GT gave out on the 7" dime and silent on the 8" the bliss at .75% of one that is not even 1 one the gain nails the 8" dime like a charm and goes to the 10" now this is in dry sand contaminated with black sand and it is operating in disq to eliminate Iron , now in the field today i got what sounded like a good signal so i turned up the discriminate depth and finally the target gave a crackle like the musky would do that would say it was Iron so i dug and up came a wire sticking up from 7" deep most of the time you dont have to do this but i tried it again on another signal and it would not crackle or go away i dug and out came a part of a aluminum can sith some steel still on it it is just as pron to masking as any machine if you place a nail over a dime say the dime is 3" below it will go silent but i must say I do like the machine I think it could pull some deep silver out for sure and this thing that you cant hunt a park with it non sense put the gain as low as it will go and the threshold as low as it will go and you will onl dig targets at 7"

Barry the training videos will be great on GBing and tuning on the beach. I know from the many beaches I have hunted that no two beaches are the same. The sand mix is very different from one state to another. I have even seen it different from one block to the next on the same beach. But it would be great to see the proper steps to take to get the machine GBed and tuned. Every button on the machine where you should start I know it will be different on where they end up after the adjustments are made beach by beach. I am sure it will help with future sales for the Blisstool. Thanks for all the help.

Barry the effort and help that Bliss has put forth to help with the machine is beyond what any other detector mfg would do, that is a fact.
I hope my post did not seem negative about the machine, it was not meant to do that. The sensitivity that the machine has is incredible. There is no machine that you run on the beaches here that will not false, if it doesn't you will not be digging much. I just wanted to post about the falses to help anyone who uses the machine there to know about it so they would not get frustrated but learn much more quickly how to identify it. Once you are prepared for them they are much easier to identify. I will stress again they are not over abundant, but they can be confusing for someone just starting out. I believe it is a crucial part of the learning curve so that you can be successful with the machine. You are so correct that it could also be a very, very tiny piece of non ferrous, the machine is very capable of detecting very tiny non ferrous targets.
The machine is a very capable machine on the beach, you just need to take the time to learn it. I do believe in the correct hands it is capable of getting DEEP targets other machines can not. I think some videos from Carter will decrease the learning curve significantly. And I would also like to stress again, I hunt mostly beaches, anyone who is hunting inland this post is not really for, the beach is a much different animal for all detectors.

Jim Robertson said:
But it would be great to see the proper steps to take to get the machine GBed and tuned. Every button on the machine where you should start I know it will be different on where they end up after the adjustments are made beach by beach. I am sure it will help with future sales for the Blisstool. Thanks for all the help.

Jim if you do not have the spreadsheet Bliss has out let me know via pm your email, i will send it to you. Made a world of difference for me as a starting point.

Interesting You Tube videos on the Blisstool until the one about getting a loud signal on a penny at 20 inches....My friends GP 3500 only got a faint whisper....Oh My:cry: