Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finally Struck Park Silver

Derrelld

I have made some pretty incredible finds with the Deus 2 so far, but I have struggled with hunting old "hunted out" parks. I keep thinking back 7-8 years ago when I would take my Explorer SE to some of these parks and find a handful of wheaties , a few Indians and silver almost every outing. I had yet bring life to some of these old sites until recently. I have been playing around with setting in the garage and watching youtube videos. I have ben seeing a common theme that lowering your disc to around 6.5 seems to unmask better in iron. I started laying out old square nails and placing a silver dime next to them. As soon as I raised the disc past 7 the signal got worse. I put together a custom program in deep HC. Disc 6.5, pitch audio, iron volume 2 notch 15-70. reactivity 2, sensitivity 95... Focusing on copper and silver coins... I met up with my buddy Jim at an Indiana park that has been absolutely pounded over the years. I head over towards an old rock by the lake that seemed to have been there for a long time.. The rock was huge and my thoughts were maybe people playing on it back in the day lost some goodies. Immediately pulled a 1920 wheat penny... Kind of shocked and surprised. I couldn't remember the last time I found an old coin here.. I kept un hunting then pretty soon came up with another one. I ended up pulling 2 wheat pennies, a silver dime and a silver quarter from that area. Went to another side of the park and found 2 more silver dimes. I went from not being able to find an old coin in a hunted out park to finding 6 in one hunt... I couldn't believe it... Every signal had iron in the hole with it... I did dig a few bent nails and odd shaped iron pieces . Its a noisy program, you hear a lot of grunting and chirping but it worked. What I don't understand is if I discriminate out iron past 7 and lay a dime between nails the signal is horrible. I notch 15-70 lay a nickel that is discriminated out and put a dime next to it and I get the dime perfect.

Still learning the machine, Was a big minelab guy for years but i'm definitely digging this one.

Thanks for looking,
DerrellD

Attachments

• 287758719_10159888818912482_3173958502161547544_n.jpg
    287758719_10159888818912482_3173958502161547544_n.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 287718617_10159888818902482_875623086546792901_n.jpg
    287718617_10159888818902482_875623086546792901_n.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 143
I have made some pretty incredible finds with the Deus 2 so far, but I have struggled with hunting old "hunted out" parks. I keep thinking back 7-8 years ago when I would take my Explorer SE to some of these parks and find a handful of wheaties , a few Indians and silver almost every outing. I had yet bring life to some of these old sites until recently. I have been playing around with setting in the garage and watching youtube videos. I have ben seeing a common theme that lowering your disc to around 6.5 seems to unmask better in iron. I started laying out old square nails and placing a silver dime next to them. As soon as I raised the disc past 7 the signal got worse. I put together a custom program in deep HC. Disc 6.5, pitch audio, iron volume 2 notch 15-70. reactivity 2, sensitivity 95... Focusing on copper and silver coins... I met up with my buddy Jim at an Indiana park that has been absolutely pounded over the years. I head over towards an old rock by the lake that seemed to have been there for a long time.. The rock was huge and my thoughts were maybe people playing on it back in the day lost some goodies. Immediately pulled a 1920 wheat penny... Kind of shocked and surprised. I couldn't remember the last time I found an old coin here.. I kept un hunting then pretty soon came up with another one. I ended up pulling 2 wheat pennies, a silver dime and a silver quarter from that area. Went to another side of the park and found 2 more silver dimes. I went from not being able to find an old coin in a hunted out park to finding 6 in one hunt... I couldn't believe it... Every signal had iron in the hole with it... I did dig a few bent nails and odd shaped iron pieces . Its a noisy program, you hear a lot of grunting and chirping but it worked. What I don't understand is if I discriminate out iron past 7 and lay a dime between nails the signal is horrible. I notch 15-70 lay a nickel that is discriminated out and put a dime next to it and I get the dime perfect.

Still learning the machine, Was a big minelab guy for years but i'm definitely digging this one.

Thanks for looking,
DerrellD
Awesome
Nice work. Never hunted out.

Sounds like you've opened the door to more exciting hunts, no more need to scratch your head and wonder where your next hunt is going to be.
Thanks for the good information.

For sure!!! Just need some rain now haha

Thank you,
Derrell

Nice scores check that 1916 mercury for the D and I run my equinox always no discrimination and keep finding silver in “hunted out parks” even found the gold coin in avatar in a hammered park lol!
Mark
Thank you!! Lots of 1916's over the years but never a D lol

Nice!!
Helpful hints - thanks.
Appreciate it, Pitch seemed to make it work. I still dug bent iron but the signals that screamed at least one direction were coins. I

WTG!!! That a lot of silver for 1 hunt! There wouldn’t happen to be a “D” on that Merc would there?? 👍
Aaron
They never have a D on them :cry2: lol Thanks man

Never say never….. I just dug an old wheatie and after I got done “sand blasting” it with a brass brush so I could read the date I discovered it was a 1914D. Lesson learned.

Elmy,
A couple of times we have dug old wheats that “pock mark up” like zinc pennies, no idea why because you can dig another wheat nearby and just that beautiful green patina. The crud I was fighting was surface damage and not just built up crud. Thoughts?

Copper coins develop
a patina on the outside of the coin once the patina is broke from soil minerals or you , then there well be no detail left in that spot .Case in point found a beauty of a 1883 indian had 1 spot that would not clean (SOOOO) i put it in vinegar and presto i had a copper sandblasted slug lesson learned that bubble or spot is the patina and if removed well be a sandblasted spot on coin with no detail .
I only put copper coins in heated hydrogen proxide and that is it . sube

Copper coins develop
a patina on the outside of the coin once the patina is broke from soil minerals or you , then there well be no detail left in that spot .Case in point found a beauty of a 1883 indian had 1 spot that would not clean (SOOOO) i put it in vinegar and presto i had a copper sandblasted slug lesson learned that bubble or spot is the patina and if removed well be a sandblasted spot on coin with no detail .
I only put copper coins in heated hydrogen proxide and that is it . sube
fertilizer could also be the culprit.... some indians I have dug in the farmed fields are blanks, some are fine. Certain fertilizers destroy coppers and bronze coins....

this is a recurring theme, with the D-2

Nice job.
Once you understand the D2 the oldies will start popping out of the ground.

The Minelabs did a very good job of sniffing out the oldies in my parks but I knew there were some that were masked by iron and coins on edge that’s where the D2 comes in.

I had the nox 600 and it made my arm sore, had the leaking problems and was of a cheep build , but it was a good detector as far as finding coins ect