Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finding History On An Old House

TeenDetector97

I have a house that was built in 1804 down the street from me. It just so happens, both families are pretty close. That being said I will be able to hunt that land. However, I would still like to know some history on my area and everything around it. Down the road, there is a Golf Course. An old 1800's house lies on the Golf Course as well. Well just the foundation. The golf course was kind enough to preserve the history. Therefore, people were living in my area for at least 200 years. However, the internet seems to have no information what so ever on anywhere close to my area.

Any way you guys can help? If it helps, the house lies on the property of Winding Hills Golf course in NY. (Dont want to give the specific address of the house site, for their privacy.)

I would try your library. The ones here have local sections in them for the city they are in. That would be my first thought

Court house, library, talking to native locals in the town.........

Hi TeenDetector97 , scubadetector is right on about your local Library. They should have a Local History and Genealogy section which sometimes can turn up some really interesting and unusual useful bits of info. Also go online to American Memory Maps and check out all the old maps of your area for roads and settlements past and present. Might also go to the BLO land records and see if they have the" original survey" plats for your area. These usually go way back to our earliest history and sometimes show farm fields, farm locations and even Indian villages and prominent land marks. Settlers , and soldiers used the roads and river ferries and camped along the way. Later when they settled, their land records would be recorded with the BLM, so be sure to check on line with them also. Just let your " imagine" loose a bit and you will come up with all sorts of history info you can check out. You got a winner waiting on you so load up on info and then go hammer it for all you can. HH, Charlie

Teen Detector, Some towns and also some counties have local historical societies. Just google your town (or county) followed by historical society. If your town has one, attend some of the meetings and talk to some of the members. They are a wealth of knowledge...