Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Finding Indian Head cents with EXP II

BigTony

Hello all, I haven't found an Indian Head cent in a very long time and I have been at older areas.
I am wondering if I am missing them?
Can anyone help with where they hit on the display screen?
And what is a good VDI number for them?

Maybe I am expecting a high tone and it isn't going to ring up that way.

For those types of coins, you're either looking to improve on target seperation and/or they like big concentric coils. If you have a detector that can use 8-10 round concentrics, you can improve in finding them, provided you're not in a trashy area. Otherwise, go for target seperation.

As to where they hit on the screen, it will vary because those types of coins sit deep (relatively) and are old/corroded. Anything around 05/28 should be checked and the numbers would probably bounce around.

Which explorer are you using? There is a huge difference between Explorer XS/2 and the SE. What settings/coil are you using?

Hello magician, thanks for the reply - 5/28 is interesting, i dont dig those.
Exp 2 with small coil in trash parks or 10 x 12 sef in open areas. It is set to max limits but gain is down to 7. I am now using semi auto and 25.

Semi auto maybe a little high with the 10x12, it is very hard to beat the factory pre-set settings on the explorers where the sens is semi-auto 16. On small coils yes, use a higher sens. Though I honestly think you should be digging more iffy/bouncy signals, bury an old penny on its side and again diagonally and see what you get, you'll be surprised. There are a lot of coins, especially small ones that lie sideways or diagonally. I've seen plenty in my plugs and they can give any type of signal.

Hello The Magician, ok, I will back off on the semi auto a bit when using the big coil, you have a good point there. And yes, I am digging more iffy/bouncy signals of late and am doing well with those finds.
I guess I have to get to other old areas and see what turns up.

As far as where they hit on the screen here is a good link.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~jvokes/exscreens.htm
I would open up the screen on your XS-II too -12 IM (no IM at -16 if you can handle it) and run your sensitivity at either 32 Auto or preferably max Manual just until its a tad chattery then back it down a few. Also Ferrous Tones would be a plus imho.

Time to pull out some old indian cents and experiment...remember the real old ones come in different and yep corrosion is always a problem with this coin...

Hello MikeO, thanks again for the remionder of those screen shots. I have been watching these areas more this past spring. They hve helped me dig about four silvers and four wheats. So I am on the right track. It was good to re-read these hints because that explains why I found the wheats when I was hoping for silver.
Great stuff there - good luck in 2015

You should get into the habit of digging all repeatable signals that show up 5" or deeper on the depth indicator. You will be surprised at what you will find. Indians and wheats that are deeper often do not give a good signal. Indians contain zinc, so they will sound similar to the newer zinc pennies. Generally, unless the soil has been disturbed, you will not find newer zinc pennies that deep. I hunt in several areas where the soil is mineralized and the EXP II has a hard time punching deep and getting good signals. Deeper coins give off a faint, repeatable, yet choppy signal. Give yourself time to learn the areas you hunt in. Go out and dig every target and study what the readings are. Then, when you feel comfortable, decide on what signals to dig.

Hello Sridge, you are right I should just go for these. I probably stopped digging them.