Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fine tuning a pro pointer

okwaho

I have seen some reference to fine tuning a pro pointer with a coin or a washer.
Could some one explain how this is done ?
And exactly what it accomplishes ?

do a search on how to supertune a pro pointer, there are plenty of posts! good luck
Steve :)

I have, a did not find anything helpfull.
Have you tried typing in "how to supertune a pro pointer" ?
What do you get ?
I got you post telling me to search for that, not much help.

Try search for "Garrett Pro Pointer tuning" on this forum all dates.

ivanll

Turn on your ProPointer. Wait for the two beeps.
Take a convenient piece of metal. Doesn't matter what type or shape... Some people use a washer, a coin, or a ring.
Use what ever you find most convenient.
Place it against the body of the ProPointer. Start between the battery cap and the speaker holes.
Slide it towards the tip slowly until the ProPointer starts to chirp, then pull it back a touch so it's silent again.
Hold it at that spot and scan for your target. Try not to move the piece of metal while searching.
That should give you an extra couple inches. A quarter that normally triggers it at about 1.5" now triggers at about 3.5".

The way it works is you bring the ProPointer right to it's threshold. Then it takes much less to trip it.

Another thing you can do is 'detune'... Basically the opposite. You can set the threshold back from the edge, making it harder to trip.
By detuning you can make it so the ProPointer won't trip until you're right on top of your target.
Reduce the sensitivity by placing the convenient piece of metal against the side of the ProPointer between the
power button and the shaft. Then turn it on and wait for the two beeps. Remove the piece of metal. Test the
sensitivity with the piece of metal to be sure it's not TOO detuned.
If it is, start over... But place the metal a little further back. Turn it on, remove the metal, and test again.
Once you find your sweet spot, try and memorize where to place the metal, or better yet, mark it with a dot of paint.

I actually detune more often than supertune.

Thank you,Greatly appreciated !

Also, when you super tune the Pro Pointer in the air, touch it to the ground first to see if that will cause it to false alarm due to the ground load. If it does back off the metal a hair until it shuts up. Now stick it in the hole and find your target. If you get a sound off, what I like to do is move the pro pointer to the other side of the whole and touch the dirt and see if it's still sounding off. If it is then it's probably falsing, so back it off a hair more until it goes silent and then move it back to where you think you got the hit and make sure it's real. This becomes second nature after a while and you don't have to think or take much time to do it at all. Usually if I get what I think is the target I'll move the Pro Pointer away and back off the metal a bit more just to be safe, then return to that spot and see. If it hits again then for sure you're not getting a false hit. It's way less "iffy" of an art than it sounds like. Very solid performance once you get the routine down of making sure it's not falsing from too high of a super tune.

Also another tip, if you aren't even super tuning but the Pro Pointer sounds off due to the ground minerals (rare but it does happen here and there) then turn it off and back on with the tip touching the ground. This will adjust it so that the ground doesn't set it off.