Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fired pistol ball???

ShadyMechanic

OK, here is today's find. I'm not the expert on this so correct me if i'm wrong. I found this in the woods behind my parents house, the depth was between 7-8: inches coming all the way up to the hilt of my lesche digging tool. There are no documented civil war battles or skirmishes in my home town but there was plenty of movement and activity. The town was founded in 1651 and my parents neighborhood is developed on what was once a massive plantation. I'm pretty certain this is a pistol ball that was fired at something solid, maybe somebody did some target shooting on the plantation? I don't know. What i do know is that it's depth was proper for civil war era, it gave a reading equivalent to lead on my CTX, it has no rust coloration, and it is nonmagnetic.

[attachment 263552 IMG_20130420_231259.JPG] flattened side from impact
[attachment 263549 IMG_20130420_231406.JPG] Some roll back of the lead due to impact
[attachment 263548 IMG_20130420_231516.JPG] The line through center appears to be a casting mark.

Doesn't look like a musket ball to me. I found dozens of musket balls. Most were dropped and so they are still perfectly round, some are flattened a little on one side only. Your item is severly disfigured so is hard to tell what it was.