Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Apex Hunt

RLOH

Had a beautiful fall morning so I took the Apex for it's first hunt. The first park had knee high grass. I really wanted to use the Apex here because it is not heavily hunted and there are usually scads of clad coins. A good place to get the feel for a new detector. I did find five copper memorials before I left for shorter grass. Next stop was my all time favorite park with a good day finding five or six coins with maybe a wheat or late silver in the mix.

I tried hunting in zero mode, but this super sensitive detector bombarded my hearing. Reluctantly, I switched to US Coin mode. Usually the detectors I use lose depth with discrimination, but the Apex really surprised me. I was getting clad coins in the heavy trash with near perfect signals. I could slow the coil down and barely creep through this modern trash. I got a mixed signal that was 70 to 82 but I finally figured out it was what I thought to be two targets. I dug a 4 inch deep plug and found a crusty zinc penny. I was sort of bummed because low 80's were usually copper coins. Before I covered the hole, I stuck my carrot in the hole and heard a slight beep. I figured rusty iron, but when I got the target out from about 7 inches I saw a green wheat. 1920. A few minutes later I got a 78-80 perfect signal and another wheat from 7 plus inches. I ended up with one more wheat and 23 coins total.

This particular park has four bar mineralization on the Fisher F75's I have used there. Most single frequency detectors struggle with both depth and accuracy here. The Apex ran smooth and quiet at one bar from max. The ground balance number was 95 so I am assuming that that was indicating high mineralization. The Apex is jumpy with it's numbers, but I quickly found that coins would hold pretty steady with the tones and numbers when I checked from different angles. I use the iron audio to only check questionable signals. When iron was present the iron audio quickly identified it. The iron volume worked like a charm. All in all, I am pleased with the Apex's performance. It is an extremely easy detector to use and adjust. I am sure that the more time I spend with it, things will get even better.

Good report. Rather impressive hunt I would say for hunting in 4 bar dirt. Thanks, HH jim tn

As you increase your sensitivity ie zero disc. to coins, you won't lose depth on the APEX nor the other ACE detectors or AT Series. Removing the notches only removes the audio for those particular removed notches. Nice report for your first hunt. It's a fun yet productive detector to use.

RLOH, I think you are going to really enjoy the new Apex. I know I am. Matter-of-fact I have a few newer detector models that I have been enjoying more simply due to their lightweight design coupled with very impressive performance afield. I have two of the Apex units so that one is ready for a smaller-size search coil when Garrett brings one out. It's needed for the ferrous-contaminated ghost towns and dealing with ample modern trash in urban settings Then the standard 6X11 DD 'Viper' coil will do for the low-trash ./ sparse-target open areas such as grassy parks, yards, etc.

The more I get out with my Apex, the more I like it over some of my other models. Heck, I think I might pick up one additional new 'different model' but trim two or three out and cut down on all the detectors I have to deal with. Besides, I am really enjoying both of mine using the Garrett MS-3 wireless Z-Lynk headphones and AT Pro-Pointer. It's really helpful for this old hearing-impaired character to be able to hear both detector and pin-pointer in the headphones. It looks like a nice fall-weather week ahead so I plan to get out more often. A forecast for frost Wednesday evening, but nothing to freeze the easy-to-work grassy areas around here.

Oh, as for frequency choices, I am enjoying the Apex in MF, which usually operates just fine in most locations. The Multi-Flex is usually not too bothered by EMI. An exception is a big soccer field up the street that has power lines with transformers that run the length of the field and cross-over about mid-point. Generally, I have the quietest operation with less EMI (if there's an EMI issue in MF) when I select 15 kHz and GB. But on Friday, in one area it called for 15 kHz yet across the field the 5 kHz frequency was very quiet. It's nice having the option to select the better frequency to handle EMI, or to maybe give better performance on some conductivity ranges you desire to find.

Monte