Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Barber dime this year!:detecting:

charlie dert

This is my silver from the last couple of hunts. The 1906 Barber was beat up but I was thrilled to dig it. The Barber and the '40 wash came from a private yard and the others came from a local park.

The Barber was my 35th silver since June 6th and my oldest coin found so far here in NYC. Got a real nice 1918 wheatie near the Barber but gouged it with the shovel.

Charlie

Nice silver finds.

Im not very good at deciphering different signals except for silver dimes. For some reason Im intune with my Vaq when I sweep over a silver dime.

FW, Yes..35th silvers since June 6th.

But it's not that I am anything special or all that great at detecting..it's more a result of where I'm digging.

I try to look for two things. First I find that a slope is more productive than the flats, and second I work the areas that are full of obstructions like brush and weeds. I know that concentrics are deeper and better in the trash but often where I hunt you cannot overlap your swing. Sometimes my swing is only 12 or 18" left to right and no room up or down. In that case the widescan is much better. I like the 5.75 coil with my Tejon but plan on buying a 5.75 concentric for the areas that I have room to overlap my swing.

Charlie

Lucky you! Congrats on the barber!!!!!

I just ordered a Tejon and was wondering if it would be any good at finding silver coins. I can stop wondering now.

That's some really nice silver coins you got there! :thumbup:

Now I'm wondering why slopes are producing more for you than flat areas.:shrug:

tabman

Tabman I think a big shovel would suffice!Bring your passport you may need it!!!!!

Tabman,

I think slopes are better for several reasons. First it is harder to detect on a slope than the flats so less folks work them..especially if you are older as many of us are and our knees aren't as good as they used to be. Second when you sit or lie down on a slope more things fall out of your pockets than when one is on the flats. If someone is just hanging out in a park they like to relax and enjoy the scenery and a hill offers a better view.

I have also noticed that there is a "sweet spot" on a hill. I like to work the military crest..that spot where you are not silhouetted from either side of the hill. Animals especially deer like to travel the military crest. All deer hunters know this. It offers more safety and they are less exposed..the human animal is no different in that regard.

Good luck with the new Tejon. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Charlie