Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First coins with XT70.

1859large

I recently made a trip down to the east coast and visited a few spots I found last year. The sites don't produce a lot of coins but the upside is no modern junk although iron is everywhere. My plan is to dig all good non-ferrous targets. This yields a lot of lumps of lead, line weights, brass grommets, and various shapes of small copper and brass including small cheap 19th century jewelery and furniture brass. The area had a small population of farmer/fishermen from 1850 to the 1920s.

It is a large site, 100s of acres, so I concentrate on the perimeters of old fields which are outlined by rock walls and piles and paths. I average about a coin a day and maybe 10 or so relics and/or lead scrap.

The shoe buckle was found near an old fence and 14" deep. By switching to prospecting mode I reassured myself I was not getting a false signal from iron. It gave a solid 34 with 5 depth bars with a 10.5" DD mid freq coil with sensitivity on 24. I figure it to be about 1770 +/- 10 years. It is the first object found to date earlier than the 1850 date of the community although several towns nearby (< 5 mi) where known to be occupied prior to 1700 permanently and seasonally back to 1600.

The 1876 5c piece is a Newfoundland piece and values about $100 your money or mine. Found near my house on an old and seldom used path. Found on a foggy, cold day when I just had to go out. I searched a small length of the path for 20 minutes and also found a musket ball and a brass hook (cup-hook) before beating it back home. Did I mention it was 38f and the wind was blowing 40mph.

Bounty Hunter Landstar
XT70
9" Conc mid
10.5" DD mid
5x10" DD high

Awesome finds!

You said:
[quote 1859large]By switching to prospecting mode I reassured myself I was not getting a false signal from iron. It gave a solid 34 with 5 depth bars with a 10.5" DD mid freq coil with sensitivity on 24.[/quote]

Can you help me understand that... I have a new XT70.. and would like to understand switching to prospecting mode as you descibe above... I know the how to switch... what does this do specifically in the investigating mode before digging ?

Thank you in advance,
Paul

Well I am new to this detector and only have a few dozen more hours on a Bounty Hunter Landstar.

Some places I have been searching have a fair amount of iron objects in the ground old barn sites I suspect. Every now and then I have gotten what looks like a good TID between a lot of falsing. By good I means it is stable like 32-36 from 2 directions but there are 40s 30s and 20s around itwhich don't repeat or move within less than 2ft

In prospecting mode showing the iron mask screen a slow pass will show clipping over the iron and a nice rise and fall in tone over the non-ferrous target. It only takes about 5 seconds to change modes. By raising the coil above usual sweeping height you can separate objects that are close together. In one situation I found 2 lead weights, coin sized, beneath a curved iron bar 3/8" x 8" long. I could hear a rise in tone before being clipped by the bar.

9 times out of 10 it will be a round lead fishing weight or a brass grommet from a sail but thats life. The lead will be traded for beer at the end of the season!

HH