Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Deus find was a good one

I got my deus on Friday and spent about an hour at an old permission to just start the learning process. Got nothing but junk but felt I was moving forward. I didn't hunt yesterday due to a bad cold and Santa Ana winds but I got a call this afternoon from a young lady who had lost her ring somewhere at Carpinteria State beach while camping with her family. I'm a member of The Ringfinders and I thought after an hour of using the XP I was surely ready to use it and rescue a ring. Well the XP worked like a charm on the dry sand and after about 25 minutes I found the ring in the sand amongst the iceplant. I had found a bunch of trash and a few coins in the prior few minutes but this rang at 57 and gave the double beep that Gary had mentioned on one of his videos(I watched about 6 of them yesterday) that a shallow target would ring. It was amazing how spot on that tidbit was as it allowed me to focus on finding double beeps. The Deus worked great, all I did was turn it on to Basic 1 and go. I made no adjustments because quite frankly I have no idea yet how or why to do or make any adjustments.

The beauty of that last statement is you don't need to make a ton of adjustments to make the Deus go. It is a turn on and go hunt machine. I feel so much more confident in it than I ever did with my CTX because I was always so focused on the VDI and the sound and if the VDI was a 12-45 or a 8-13 or a 16-19 or so on. Here it was a good mid tone, double beep. Even the clad I found all rang true, I don't know yet what the VDI numbers mean for the Deus but most were in the 90's.

Here's the aftermath of our find. The video isn't the greatest but we were in a big hurry to get the ring found as it was the end of the day and they had to vacate their campground spot asap as beach camping in SoCal is as tough as it comes LOL. The coolest thing is she was pumped as not only had she lost her ring but the guy camping next to her sideswiped her car with his camper as he was leaving.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpL4X8loiUY[/video]

Right on man, the next one will be yours.

If you take the second number on your CTX and double it, that is about what the Deus says. With V4 and ID Norm on some of the higher conductors are bunched near the top a bit, (Like 18kHz) but it's the same concept as the Minelab. You should still be able to hear the difference between a zinc penny and a copper one even in 18kHz ID norm on.

Conversely the lower Freqs will bunch the low conductors closer together and give you a wider spread on high conductors, assuming ID norm is turned off.

Counterintuitively, I don't mind the ID norm because I'm really not looking to discriminate those high conductor targets, I want them all.
Having the wider spread on the low conductors with 18kHz numbers makes it easier to pick out the good tab sounds from the canslaw and small foil. IMO that is a more useful.

One possible caveat, the ID norm numbers might be less accurate on 4kHz or 8kHz because it's really just a software adjustment, a compensation so it may not be as accurate as say using native numbers for the particular Freq.
This is just speculation, I haven't really looked into it.

Congrats skateteacher! It's a great feeling when you see the joy on the faces of the party that lost the ring! Well done!:clapping: