Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First dirt hunt w/ the DTG

SkiWhiz

Took the Vista Gold with the Super Six coil out to a baseball field this morning, my first hunt in a the dirt with it. Not sure if it is me not used to it or the damp grass having something to do with it but I seemed to have to adjust the ground balance in the same area from time to time. I did have the sensitivity almost at max and that might explain it. I can honestly say that this is the deepest detector that I have ever had, I found 6 nickels & a few penny's and s a 925 silver chain with a broken clasp. One of the nickels was Canadian, all the nickels were red in color which is the case up here when they are deep. A couple of them was as deep or deeper than my digger. They are called Deep Tech for a good reason,they are deep. Love using this detector.

Frank in NH said:
Steve how did you make out digging foil, pulltabs and other junk did you dig a lot?
Hi Frank, not sure if I was lucky or there just isn't many pulltabs but I never dug one of them. However I did dig some foil even small pieces at good depths. I had my discrimination set at the 9 oclock position. Not sure of the age of the area I was hunting, it was a large field divided into 4 different baseball fields. The two field in the back had bleachers that looked to be quite old. I know that I have said this many times about detectors but this one I am going to keep, I cannot see one being any better for the type of detecting that I do.

You don't have to run with a high sensitivity. As I found out, routinely backed it off to about 25.

This was how I had my Vista set up:

============================================

Pictured above is my unit and is how I have my controls set up using the Super 6 coil.
Coin and jewelry hunting.

Ground balancing
Set on All metal mode
Sens to 45
S slow mode on toggle
Boost off

Mine ground balances about 1 o'clock. Depending upon your ground, make tiny GB
adjustments until there is no change when bobbing the coil.
If your hunting in disc mode and need a quick ground balance, make the GB adjustment in
disc.

The disc control is the tone break in two tone mode.
The first red line is where a thin gold chain will be disc'd out or in two-tone will give a high
tone. The broad green zone is the tiny gold, foil zone. Where the green zone breaks off, is
the last area that thin gold rings will not be rejected. Its the setting I hunt. Eliminates most tiny
foil. It is also a good setting when hunting coins in 2 tone mode. Dig all highs and decide on
the low tone targets. If you run this setting, when pinpointing a high tone and pull back on the
coil, the tone will go from high to a low grunt. It's an item just below your disc setting, could be
canslaw. If you run this setting in disc mode, get a high tone, pinpoint and pull back on the
coil, just before audio goes silent, if you get a slight mixed rough sound, its trash and canslaw
most of the time. If the target sound breaks off with no after glow sound, its a good target.
Just some things for you to try. I normally hunt using the Super 6 coil 6x8 coins and jewelry
S slow mode, boost off, sens 25-45, disc mode, sweep coil slower
and run the same settings in two tone mode.

Deep F mode is good for trashy areas, faster response recovery, separation, loose some depth,
switch on boost mode to regain the depth.

I like two tone mode as much as disc mode, you hear both iron and good target signals.
I run iron volume (low tone) where its set as pictured, its loud enough to alert you there's iron
without driving you batty if in a dense iron zone. Set where you like. High tone targets will
have normal volume. It also lets good targets be heard better amongst iron when the iron
volume is lower.

Have fun
Sven

Thanks Sven.

[size=large]Steve,
I think that what maybe you was experiencing with the gb was the difference in soil on the baseball field. when the soil changes very much at all, the DTs will let you know. Sometimes that happens to me to..
If this is what you did on one of your first hunts, look out, it only get better, much better... Richard
[/size]

Richard@BackwoodsDetectors said:
[size=large]Steve,
I think that what maybe you was experiencing with the gb was the difference in soil on the baseball field. when the soil changes very much at all, the DTs will let you know. Sometimes that happens to me to..
If this is what you did on one of your first hunts, look out, it only get better, much better... Richard
[/size]
Makes sense to me Richard. I have heard tha5 some if the DeepTech coils were affected by moisture I don't suppose this is the case with the Supper Six coil as it is a newer coil.