Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Equinox silver coin...

sgoss66

Well, I made it out with the Equinox today, for the fifth short hunt since I got it. All five hunts have been to the same park -- it's a park I have hunted to death over the past 7 years with my Explorers, and I can rarely eek out even a wheat cent anymore. I have hunted it HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of times, and so I know it so well that it's a great place to bring a new machine to learn how it behaves -- it's almost like a great big "test garden."

Anyway, the first few times out learning the Equinox, I managed a few wheat cents, a buffalo nickel, and some clad coins, plus a piece or two of junk jewelry. Today, the two-hour hunt yielded my first silver coin with the Equinox, and the first silver coin in probably a year from this particular park -- a 1944 Washington quarter.

This coin was only about 6" deep -- not totally sure, since I dug the plug and the first target I recovered was a deep, bent rusty nail. When I recovered it, I thought that it must have been what I heard, so I re-filled the hole and was ready to move on -- but swept the now-repaired hole one more time, and I still heard the high tone! So, I re-dug the plug, and this is when I located the coin!

I know for a FACT I've swung over this coin multiple times over the past several years; it was near a park bench in a small patch of lawn bordered by sidewalks, and I have hunted this patch dozens of times, pulling a few silver coins and several wheats in this time. This one must have been hidden enough -- altered in tone and ID by the nail, apparently, for the Explorers not to have recognized it...

The EQUINOX did!

[attachment 355646 3-4-18Washington1944rot.JPG]

Steve

n/t

I had a similar experience yesterday--found a nice 1943 mercury dime in a place in a trashy lot I've been over multiple times before with my Etrac. However, ground was wet this time, which may have made the difference; although it was only 4" deep, or perhaps I approached from a slightly different angle, so hard to be sure it's the Equinox. Anyway, my first silver with the Equinox. Otherwise, a few copper pennies, plenty of clad and a lot of rusty nails and aluminum tabs and foil. I don't find the numbers very reliable compared to the Etrac. I'm still liking it, though--light machine, bright display, easily-understood settings, and it just may be finding some things the Etrac missed--what's not to like?

Nice find!

Thanks all!

Always Curious -- as far as "numbers not reliable," I understand what you are saying. I am used to the superb ID of FBS machines also. I wonder though, if part of it is the speed of the machine. If there are 3 or 4 targets under the coil, the Equinox is seeing -- and IDing -- them all. So, I think this is part of why the numbers sometimes seem "jumpy." For instance, I hit what I thought was a coin today, but it was "bouncy" on the ID; it was showing 2-3 bars deep. I dug a plug, and got a 4" copper penny. HOWEVER, I then found a very small threaded copper piece (possibly from a lawnmower-type engine, or something) about an inch deep in the plug, just about directly above the penny. The only reason I went looking for "another target" with my pinpointer in the plug, is that I was sure a 4" deep penny should have been a perfect, steady 25 or 26 ID, but it was not -- it was bouncy. SO, I went LOOKING for an explanation. That's the only reason I looked for another target in the plug. Had I not went looking for that very small copper piece, I can see how someone may have concluded "gee, this machine can't even give a solid ID on a 4" deep penny..."

Just speculating, but I think this is a part of what's going on here. We are used to the way FBS does things...this is a whole different animal.

Steve

Sgoss66, you could be right. For sure, the Equinox is seeing things that the Etrac couldn't seperate--and this is with its stock 11" coil. When I hunt those trashy areas with the Etrac, I usually have a small coil. It will be interesting to see what the Equinox can do with a 6" coil in those places.

sgoss66 said:
Thanks all!

Always Curious -- as far as "numbers not reliable," I understand what you are saying. I am used to the superb ID of FBS machines also. I wonder though, if part of it is the speed of the machine. If there are 3 or 4 targets under the coil, the Equinox is seeing -- and IDing -- them all. So, I think this is part of why the numbers sometimes seem "jumpy." For instance, I hit what I thought was a coin today, but it was "bouncy" on the ID; it was showing 2-3 bars deep. I dug a plug, and got a 4" copper penny. HOWEVER, I then found a very small threaded copper piece (possibly from a lawnmower-type engine, or something) about an inch deep in the plug, just about directly above the penny. The only reason I went looking for "another target" with my pinpointer in the plug, is that I was sure a 4" deep penny should have been a perfect, steady 25 or 26 ID, but it was not -- it was bouncy. SO, I went LOOKING for an explanation. That's the only reason I looked for another target in the plug. Had I not went looking for that very small copper piece, I can see how someone may have concluded "gee, this machine can't even give a solid ID on a 4" deep penny..."

Just speculating, but I think this is a part of what's going on here. We are used to the way FBS does things...this is a whole different animal.

Steve
Steve
One of the Barber dimes I dug the other day didn't high tone until I cut a plug then It screamed rolled the plug back in the hole and it went right back to 24 25. Every detector I have used in the last 10 years will do the same thing, some numbers go down some go up. The important thing is I found it :)
Laplander

The separation the Equinox has with the 11” coil is very impressive. Congrats Steve on Silver quarter.

Congrats!I'm at one silver so far and about 7 wheats also. it was a roosie at about 6 inches surrounded by pulltabs and it was in the most obvious spot to hit ,I have hit some if the hardest hit areas local to me 3 times for about 2 hours and have yet to try some other settings to see if it makes a difference,park one and I had iron bias at 2 and recovery speed at 4 and the tone range fully expanded on 50 tones but going to poke around there again with a slower recovery and iron bias on zero to see what happens