Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First ever V nickel (1912) and shield nickel today (1867)

Nate’s metal detecting

Found my first ever V, and shield nickel today with the simplex. If you have any tips on cleaning them please let me know.
B9A2E502-7553-45D2-9666-CE3BEE3022E2.jpeg
BFA1FB25-252A-4375-8AF0-7C05373D829A.jpeg
F1ED89E6-49DC-4279-97C5-A7341825075A.jpeg

Very nice finds!!

Nice and nice. Yeah nickels are tough. Best to leave as is Laplander is right on. Sometimes they come out just red can't tell if it's a
buff. shield or V. those look good:thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
Nice finds and like other day, there’s probably more there.
I read where someone used steel wool on his buffalo nickels with good results.
I tried this on my nickels also and like the results as it brings out more detail and smooths the coin some.
I’m not recommending you do this, but I do it with all my buffalo, and V nickels.
What I do recommend or suggest is to try it on a Jefferson nickel and see the results, before trying it on those other coins.

I have used baking soda on silver by making a paste using a little water and rubbing with my fingers. It's abrasive like so many things so watch the detail as you go but I did have good results on silver. Just a thought.

First and foremost get a coin book, check the dates, and make sure they are not key dates that are rare or worth more than others. Any messing with them can drop the value dramatically......

View attachment 8386

View attachment 8387

you decide what you want....this is how mine come out.

E L M Y
I would expect yours to look something like this cleaned up
2020102.jpg

20201026_130901.jpg

just don't rub it ...whatever you do as the value will go down.... most dug coins that are not silver or gold are pretty toasted as far as collecting is concerned...but are often used as fillers.

Last edited:
Nice finds and like other day, there’s probably more there.
I read where someone used steel wool on his buffalo nickels with good results.
I tried this on my nickels also and like the results as it brings out more detail and smooths the coin some.
I’m not recommending you do this, but I do it with all my buffalo, and V nickels.
What I do recommend or suggest is to try it on a Jefferson nickel and see the results, before trying it on those other coins.
VERY FINE STEEL WOOL! Ma

Several months ago I had found a "toasted" "V" nickel. fwcrawford recommended I try fine steel wool to help "clean" it up. The process of running of steel wool over it provided more clarity to its features and I was able to see the date much easier. Of course as others have mentioned, first find out if its a valuable / key date coin before running it through the steel wool mill. :ROFLMAO:

Several months ago I had found a "toasted" "V" nickel. fwcrawford recommended I try fine steel wool to help "clean" it up. The process of running of steel wool over it provided more clarity to its features and I was able to see the date much easier. Of course as others have mentioned, first find out if its a valuable / key date coin before running it through the steel wool mill. :ROFLMAO:
Thank you for the info. I’ll definitely think about it. I might watch if few YouTube videos of people doing that just to get a few more opinions on it.