Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First find of 2014

HvacDude

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and just started detecting last summer. I got my 11yr old daughter interested in it when she wanted to know what I was doing with a metal detector I had since I was about 10. I was looking for property markers in the ground. So I showed her what you can do with it and in our garden we found "junk" but then a 1928 Palmolive soap cake token popped out of the ground and she was hooked! She later found a 1944 Mercury Dime. So for Christmas she decided she wanted a metal detector. While researching for something that wasn't a lot of money and had good reviews my wife said you mean your going to get her one but not for you? So I got one too. I bought her a BH Quick Silver w/ pin pointer because it was simple to setup and understand to use. I got BH Quick Draw 2 w/ pin pointer and case. We got them earlier than Christmas, my wife said get them now so you can at least use them. Five minutes after assembly and going out to test them I found a 1942 Silver half dollar!!! in the garden area. I found several Wheaties, a 1950's Stanhome alum coaster, and other neat things. But New Year's Day my daughter and I went to grandma's house to hunt. with in a few minutes my daughter, Kaitlyn or KT was getting hits. On about the 3rd or 4th hit about 4 inches down was this 1914 -1928 Dodge brothers radiator badge!! I couldn't believe it! She beat every find of mine since last year with this one. She was excited and made sure I knew even though I dug it up it was her find. LOL! If this is how our new hobby is starting for 2014 I can wait to see what's next. My daughter is a true detectorist she even likes the "junk" we find. I asked her at the ended of the day if she had fun and she said YES!! she then turned to me and asked did you have fun today dad? Even though I found nothing good I smiled and said Yes because I enjoyed seeing you having fun. Metal detecting has created another bond for me and my daughter and I find walking around removes my mind from daily stress. It truly is a great hobby. Thanks for reading sorry to be long be I'm excited for us and everyone else who does it. Now my niece is wanting a detector and I think my wife is starting to feel the "Force" pull her in also. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE AND HAPPY HUNTING!!

One of the bests posts I've ever read! :clapping::please:

I just watched a video up on the "todays finds" forum from a guy named 'dirtyhands001' he takes his Family out detecting too, you can hear the squeals of delight on the finds they made....proud of you brother, you are a good Dad alright!:thumbup: I wish you much luck and joy for 2014 to you and yours!
Mud

Thanks!! Mudpuppy I believe everyone should try it not to get rich in the monetary way but rich in life experience. Although its great to find something of value my daughter believe in the "COOLNESS FACTOR". Which I feel is actually the best part.

Hey listen...you are teaching your daughter a very important skill...and that is to pay attention to your surroundings and how to use an analytical brain...both these skills are best taught when kids are young, and detecting is probably the best way I've ever seen to do it....she will soon come to learn that she will be able to take care of herself if she just pays attention to detail...if nothing else good comes of it, you are building some powerful memories she will have of you, and for that reason alone, it dont get any better than that.
Mud

HVACDude,

I was just gonna take a peek at the forum one more time before I headed to slumber land......had no intentions of logging on and posting a reply.

THAT WAS ONE FANTASTIC POST!!! :thumbup:

The memories you are making.....wow! And I thought all the baseball and soccer memories I made with my two boys were good.....they can't hold a candle to what I just read!! I wouldn't trade my memories for anything in the world, but I am jealous of yours at the same time.

I only started detecting in November 2013 so I am VERY MUCH the rookie......I'm an old man.....but once again, I am a rookie.

You make me wish I had started this hobby with my two boys years ago. I'm still trying to get them interested. But they are side tracked at the moment.......both of them popped the question over the Christmas holidays, each not knowing the other one was going to ask too. Maybe later on I can get them going after their weddings.

Please spend every moment you can with her and her Mom......the family unit has been a dying breed in our society. Metal detecting can be another catalyst to keep the family bonds tight.....and I hope so with you and your family.

Again, that was a great post!! Thanks!

Frank

Thanks! Frank you know with all the negative things in the world I'm glad my post can bring joy to others I to enjoy posts that share the joys of others. Too much drama I can't stand. Again thanks for the kind words and hope to post more good news about our finds. Take care. :)

I started in Sept. 2013, my son started in Oct.2013..we have a great time searching out sites together..my son is Rousseau84..he has posted some of his finds in todays finds forum...

My main interests are Money and jewerly BUT I must say that enameled Dodge radiator piece is a very interesting find - I really like it (and its not because my grand daughters name is Kaitlyn too).

Hi, Buddy! Love yer post! HEY, Nice Pic! I worked with a fellow 'bout 20 yrs ago that had a 1927 "Complete" restored Dodge Bro's Coupe! Brought it to work one day & took me for a ride! And that emblem was mounted in the top of the radiator! Nice Find! HH Bigsquid55

Thanks for the comps. I too thought this was a unique find I saw others who have found this same item not many but some say its a rare find I'm not exactly sure but there is one in the Smithsonian museum that's where I found the info on it. Which by the way my daughter thinks is the coolest part that we have something that is in the Smithsonian. Haven't been able to hunt lately due to weather and work but am ready at a minutes notice to go! Kaitlyn is also itching at the chance to go. HH to all!

HVACdude,
That was one awesome post and it brought tears to my eyes and got me thinking too. I wish that I had taken my daughters out detecting when they were young too. I just purchased a new detector, so now I have 2 of them. My youngest daughter is bringing her family out to visit me this summer, so grandpa (thats me) is taking the granddaughter out treasure hunting. I know that she will enjoy herself, because I always find something everytime I use my Bounty Hunter detectors. Metal detecting is alot like fishing. As long as a kid is finding things it's fun and exciting and they don't get bored. Anyway, I'm anticipating a wonderful summer visit filled with good memories to last a lifetime. HH.

Walt

Walt, I believe you will have no problem with them getting interested even finding "junk" items. Here in Southern Illinois the weather is starting to change for the good meaning ITS TIME TO HUNT!!! My daughter is getting excited to start again. Although currently we have a family issue going on (my mother not doing well day to day) KT is patient and understands we can go when we can go. But she and I are getting equipment ready! So make sure you take them out if they don't catch on at least you tried because if you don't try you would never know. So good luck with your family they all might try it and HH! :twodetecting:

HvacDude,
My prayers go out for you and your family. Wish you all the best and may god bless all of you.

Walt