Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First find of 2014

HvacDude

This was first posted in the Bounty Hunter forum didn't see this "Todays finds forum" I would have post here first DUH!

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum and just started detecting last summer. I got my 11yr old daughter interested in it when she wanted to know what I was doing with a metal detector I had since I was about 10. I was looking for property markers in the ground. So I showed her what you can do with it and in our garden we found "junk" but then a 1928 Palmolive soap cake token popped out of the ground and she was hooked! She later found a 1944 Mercury Dime. So for Christmas she decided she wanted a metal detector. While researching for something that wasn't a lot of money and had good reviews my wife said you mean your going to get her one but not for you? So I got one too. I bought her a BH Quick Silver w/ pin pointer because it was simple to setup and understand to use. I got BH Quick Draw 2 w/ pin pointer and case. We got them earlier than Christmas, my wife said get them now so you can at least use them. Five minutes after assembly and going out to test them I found a 1942 Silver half dollar!!! in the garden area. I found several Wheaties, a 1950's Stanhome alum coaster, and other neat things. But New Year's Day my daughter and I went to grandma's house to hunt. with in a few minutes my daughter, Kaitlyn or KT was getting hits. On about the 3rd or 4th hit about 4 inches down was this 1914 -1928 Dodge brothers radiator badge!! I couldn't believe it! She beat every find of mine since last year with this one. She was excited and made sure I knew even though I dug it up it was her find. LOL! If this is how our new hobby is starting for 2014 I can wait to see what's next. My daughter is a true detectorist she even likes the "junk" we find. I asked her at the ended of the day if she had fun and she said YES!! she then turned to me and asked did you have fun today dad? Even though I found nothing good I smiled and said Yes because I enjoyed seeing you having fun. Metal detecting has created another bond for me and my daughter and I find walking around removes my mind from daily stress. It truly is a great hobby. Thanks for reading sorry to be long be I'm excited for us and everyone else who does it. Now my niece is wanting a detector and I think my wife is starting to feel the "Force" pull her in also. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE AND HAPPY HUNTING!!

You two are doing great! Hope you and your daughter get out alot.
In about '73, I got a Compass for $55. It was little more than a stick with the box on one end and a coil on the other. You turned it on and cranked the knob for volume. My first find that I can remember was a late 40s Franklin half. I think you know the rest of the story....
Welcome to a great hobby!

Great story and end results. Thats what this great hobby is all about, family, friends, enjoyment and finds. The way it sounds like it is going, you are apt to have your whole neighborhood hooked on detecting. Good luck! HH jim tn

Great write up! I'm new to detecting too. I got my detector in October & already have found some great items. The best thing about metal detecting for me is getting to spend some quality time with my Dad. We go every chance we get. Hope you & your daughter find many more great things. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the encouraging responses they are greatly appreciated. Good Luck to all of you. :)

Loved every word of your post! Thank you!:thumbup:

HH:detecting:

I enjoyed reading your post and welcome to the forum!!!
Tell your daughter thanks for finding the Dodge radiator plate.. I dug one a few years ago, but didn't know what it was other than part of an old automobile.
I attached a couple of photos of the one I found although it is not as fine shape as the one you have.
Does yours look like this one on the back?.. looks to be a threaded post for attacment.
Good luck to you and your daughter on your future hunts and looking forward to seeing those 2014 finds.
Good luck and happy hunting,
Felix

You are so fortunate to have something like MD'ing in common with your daughter.....cherish every moment and never let an opportunity to hunt with her pass by. These will remain indelible memories for you both!

Tell her Findmall says "congratulations" and best wishes for more terrific finds!!!

fwcrawford

Mine is cupped and has no threads but it looks like something was there and it does not have the little bump above the threads one website said yours might be a dashboard emblem but I don.t believe that is what yours is. Also where's the enamel? The aqua/blue color is water on what is a world map in the badge. I have seen a couple of badges like yours they say car emblem not radiator badge so I don't know what it actually is but it is from the same era though. I'm still researching it if I find anything I'll let you know. Thank you for the kind words and good luck.

Thanks Roland she can't wait to get back out there but the weather is not cooperating. Also your saying about the electronics and smoke, my electronics teacher in college told us the same thing and you know .....HE WAS RIGHT!!! LOL!

Thanks for the information.
I'm figuring the enamal just came off after time in the ground, unless this piece did not have it to start with.