Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First full hunt with the Simplex

IowaRelic

Left the house before sun up and hit the dozed home site for a couple hours while waiting on my digging buddy. The place is slim pickings but I managed a nice little strap adjuster brass buckle. Maybe 1880s-1910s. And while checking the large iron response of the machine, I found a large splitting wedge, maybe 5-6 pounds. A nice relic.
site 2 is an abandoned project that was a 40s air base housing development. A silver hunt. Dig nothing that doesn’t sound deep and small. Only 83 vdi or higher. This place is absolutely the trashiest hunting. Aluminum and clad in every swing. Using park 1 I really overlapped and dug only deeper sounding stuff. Came out with a few bucks in clad. lots of big deep aluminum and brass.
things to note:
The simplex has no overload and can really misjudge the size of a target due to its lack of good proportionate audio in the park modes. I have to really work a target from all angles and up and down to get an idea.
It will separate really well and locks on the coins really good. I just didn’t dig them. The depth meter is pretty accurate this time out when I did dig.
the green headphones’ audio quality kinda surprised me. It’s got more of a ratty buzz to all the tones than the kruzer did. Not sure what that’s all about. It’s easy to deal with but the kruzer was clear audio through the blue headphones.
I used the 11” coil for 5 hours today with only little fatigue. Was hunting open grass.
also the difference in tone breaks between the park modes is weird. Park 2 throws high tones on aluminum like crazy. Much more suited for an older site. The break points in park 1 are much better for coin hunting.
It’s a great machine and top performer for the money. I still believe that. It’s fun to use and could pay for itself quickly. Shoot I probably could have dug around 10$ in clad per few hours here. It’s that crazy loaded with targets. For general hunting and for most sites, it’s all the machine you would really ever need. I’m still a little more serious than the simplex can satisfy so it’s not an end all machine.

Yes, the Simplex + is a very ample performer for most tasks. I used the round 11" coil for some open-park grassy areas when I first got my Simplex +, and now keep the 5X9½ DD mounted full-time on my main-use Simplex +. I was pleased with the addition on park 1 which works quite well for our US coinage, while the Park 2 tone-breaks just didn't please me like they might some European users.

I wish my health would let me spend a 5 hour hunt-day again. Those were wonderful times, but I can still enjoy gutting out as much as I can with a modern, lighter-weight and well balanced package ... especially when it works so well. :thumbup:

Monte

When Nel drops their new Simplex coils it will be even better. Their add image on their website shows a simplex wearing the new “superfly” and one image of the “snake”. That’s the one I’m going straight for. The snake. It will add a whole other capability to the machine. Dense iron work using park 2 in an old site.
another interesting comparison will be the sharpshooter vs the sp24.

When Nel drops their new Simplex coils it will be even better. Their add image on their website shows a simplex wearing the new “superfly” and one image of the “snake”. That’s the one I’m going straight for. The snake. It will add a whole other capability to the machine. Dense iron work using park 2 in an old site.
another interesting comparison will be the sharpshooter vs the sp24.
Yes indeed. Snake for sure. Sharrpshooter (12.03 oz), I would have done but already have the Makro 9.5x5.5 (14.75 oz), and don't want to duplicate. Seems Nel coils of the same size always come it lighter than the stock coils.