Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First GOLD COIN...and at the Beach

DrJoeprime

I've been metal detecting for 7 years now and I thought I was prepared for everything. WRONG!!

After a number of false alarms (most notably a Brazilian coin) I Got a GOLD COIN!! I took it in my hand and stared at it..definitely Gold and definitely a Gold Coin! The back had something soldered to it..perhaps making a cufflink or a broach? Still...it's a Gold Coin and it's my first and I Love it! So excited I really couldn't detect any more until I told someone so I called my detector buddy. I couldn't tell him more than Yes it's a gold coin, No I can't tell the country or date...it's a GOLD COIN!!

OK..breath ... ( can you tell I'm excited?) OK.. this was at my local beach..been there a couple dozen times. It was about 6" deep in the wet sand and a nice strong signal with my Garrett ATX.

The coin is a Mexican dos y medio peso Gold coin dated 1945..just a little over 2 grams.

Next on my list is a USA Gold Coin (of any denomination)...one can dream.

Joe (California)

Excellent find! It's still on my list to find. I haven't got one yet on my first 20 years detecting, maybe the next 20 years will surprise me! Please do enter it in Garrett's Find of the month contest!

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_favoirite_find_2014_intl.aspx

Congratulations Joe, that's the find of a lifetime :clapping:

In 25 years detecting I haven't found a gold coin,
but you just never know what the next signal will be.

Syd

Congrats on the coin..... why would anyone solder directly on the coin ruining any intrinsic value???? it was meant to be lost in my opinion....Glad you found it .....

Cliff

Sweet Mexican gold Dr. Joe!! Awesome find:clapping: You gonna put it on a chain, or mount it in a nice display?

Amazing find!! :cheers:
It does look like you might be able to suck the solder off of it without damage. If, er... when I find a gold coin, I sure won't be soldering it onto anything!! Geeze, I'm a little shaky just looking at that little golden beauty, heh.

They sell those coins in Mexico, the 1945 is a remake sold in most shops in Mexico. I have found two at South Padre Island Texas. One I found was mounted on a gold ring band. The other was in a gold Bessel for a necklace. Still a good find but not off a ship. I did find a real one not a remake, it was a 1919 dos peso at the time worth $40.00 dollars.