Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First half dollar find

Found my first half dollar tonight, a bicentennial Kennedy half. Thought it was a shallow quarter the way it hit, but was nicely surprised to find the half about four inches down. Still no silver, but I'll take half dollars any day. I am really enjoying the golden uMax. I put the 7 inch wide scan on and I really like it. Pin pointing took a little getting used to, but I can point point just as well as with the concentric coil now. I've noticed no loss of depth with the7 inch coil, and have found some pennies six inches deep.

Was wondering if a larger coil would give me more depth, I know depth isn't everything and not all silver is deep, but I keep wondering if I am just missing the silver by an inch or two. Has anyone used the 10 x 12 widescan on the golden?

Nice find hihosilver. Keep looking, you'll get that silver half before too long. As to you question on the larger coil I cannot help you on that one. I'm sure someone will have an answer for you before too long.

Jeff

Way to go on the half.:cheers: The trick to finding silver coins isn't necessarily a bigger coil, because most silver coins are less than 5 inches deep. You just have to find places where silver coins have been lost. You can detect until you drop, but if there's no silver coins where you are detecting, you won't find any.:)

tabman

Tab dont I know thats true , no silver hear , Say I liked that 7" wide scan its gets you deeper in the hotter ground with nice clear signals Way to go on that half

kaolinwasher said:
Tab dont I know thats true , no silver hear , Say I liked that 7" wide scan its gets you deeper in the hotter ground with nice clear signals Way to go on that half

Thanks for the input on finding silver. I agree with you kaolinwasher about the 7 inch widescan. It has not come off the GU since putting it on. I think it also does a better job in my ground with discrimination, as it is not so easily fooled by the deeper pulltabs that sound off with a high tone with the concentric. With the wide scan, if I turn the notch off, those high sounding pulltabs drop down into a mixed tone. Now I know if I want gold I need to dig those mixed tones, but I have noticed that if a target sounds off high with the notch on and then mixed tones with the notch off, it is usually deeper aluminum.

OZDigger said:
Hello Hiho

I am interested to know which model your avatar is?

OZDigger

It's the "Pantera II, I wish Tesoro would make" model. I made it up cutting and pasting to create the image.

Half dollars of any vintage are a very rare find! Bicentennials are a good looking coin! :clapping: After reading many posts by silver coin hunters, Seems the hardest one to find, and also my dream coin is a Ben Franklin half...you wouldnt think that is the case, but for some reason it is...nice work!
Mud