Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Hunt 2015: BSA Ring and Ohio Seal Button (ID?)

Venner

Finally got out today (first time in 2015!) to hunt for a couple of hours. Found a handful of modern coinage and a couple of older pieces at one of my regular haunts. I finally found my first non-costume ring with the Minelab X-Terra 705 that I got last summer. Read a rock solid '40' with the 3khz Digger coil.

(1) Boy Scouts ring, size 7, stamped sterling on the inside. I'm guessing 1940s-50s?

(2) Brass dome button, unfortunately considerably worse for the wear.

The back has "Waterbury Button Co." on it (still in business, and since 1812.) After washing it off, I can tell the front is The Great Seal of Ohio (being an Ohioan) but it's the much older version. I believe a similar one with a canal boat was adopted around 1843 and the current one with no boat was adopted in 1953; that gives a pretty wide range.

Can anybody out there enlighten me as to a date on the button, and possibly the source (Ohio militia?) Anyone have a Waterbury Button guide book in their collection? I found a couple of similar buttons (different maker) on this website (search 'Ohio' on that page), but no information on the date or use, beside "Ohio Staff Button."

All in all, nice finds for a first outing. I found a dozen or so Indian Head pennies and a beautiful 1917 Walking Liberty half on the same property last summer; here's hoping that there is more to come!

Both are outstanding and very cool finds! You are off to a great start!:clapping: Looks like you have a great place to hunt!:buds: Lets see some more!
Mud

I like the BSA ring. I was a boy scout till I was 18. Than I was a leader for over 20 years. I have found a numder of scout rings. At our scout camp them kids would loose their head if they did not have a hat on it. I do great every year after camp is over for the year.. KEN