Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First hunt and review with the F5, pretty amazing....

I am probably very remiss, but you know, Revier, I have never used the 10" concentric on any of my F 75's. Found so much with the 11" DD over the years, I just never tried it. And on my Omega 8000, I absolutely love that 10" concentric and it does really well in trash.

As you state, lucky we are to have so many fantastic options and lucky we are to have such a grand hobby and all the great stuff to pursue it. HH jim tn
Yep, don't think that one ever and on the F75 and even though it was standard on the F70 almost every hunter that got one and mentioned it on any forum they were told just to just dump it and get the 11" because it was a thousand times better so many that owned one never even used it.
Yea...they were all wrong, IMO.
The 11" is a killer, no doubt , but the 10" was what was designed to be used on this platform.
Depth, maybe an inch or two less overall than the big guy some say, in mineralized dirt maybe slightly more but in the right mild soil just as deep...I've seen it happen.
Tones, not the same as the DD's, smoother, sweeter...if you have no experience using both you wouldn't have any idea.
Targets, it finds them and find them well, coins, relics, jewelry...especially jewelry or anything else made out of precious metal.
The tones you hear over silver and gold, anything, will rock you back on your heels.

When I got my F70 that was the only coil I had, it was months before I started using any DD's on that thing so I had plenty of experience with it...so glad it went down that way.
I really learned to appreciate that thing.
Does everybody need it, no, would some enjoy using it and be worth it for them to get one, sure.
Especially if you are a jewelry hunter at heart.
Ask Mike Hillis...he knows.

Last edited:
Well, I do think the 10" concentric has its place and probably should have tried one, but I have seen it in action in my 2-3 bar dirt, hunting buddy had one for his 75, and also in 4 bar not to far away and it won't replace my 11" DD anytime soon. Still think, though, the 10" would make a nice and fun addition to my coils arsenal. HH jim tn

Picking favorite search coils sizes and types really requires matching them up for the particular detector used. Next comes the ability to handle the ground conditions and typical site clutter to deal with. I had a couple of F75's but only used the 5" and 11" DD coils in comparisons. I personally prefer the Teknetics T2 series and relied on the 5" DD almost exclusively. No Concentric coils for the T2 so it was just a DD coil option, and I have never been than excited about the 11" BiAxial coil. March of 2010 I was pestered with phone calls and e-mails asking what I thought about the Omega 8000, so I bought a pro-pack to find out.

I quickly got rid of the 11" BiAxial coil, mounted the 5" DD on a spare lower rod for periodic use, but hit the hunt-sites with the 10" Elliptical Concentric coil. I spent maybe two or three hours doing side-by-side comparisons of the 11" BiAxial and 10" Concentric and was favorably impressed with how the Concentric performed and enjoyed working just that elliptical Concentric and 5" round DD on the Omega 8000. It became my most popular urban Coin Hunting detector over the next 5" years. In time I did change it up to the round 8" Concentric, and with the two Omega 8000's I had last year I relied on the round 7" Concentric coil the most because it worked great in the very 'busy' modern trash around the picnic bowery areas, around big trees, and handled a lot of yard hunting I did.

I like the elliptical Concentric however, and I'll be ordering a new F5 today and I'm sure that 'standard' coil will stay in my coil outfit for the F5 as part of a 3-coil package for my hunt needs. I had used an 11" BiAxial off a different model later on with the Omega 8000 and the Concentric coil provided more accurate VDI read-out with a tighter numeric response on mid-depth to deeper coins than the 11" BiAxial.

Monte

March of 2010 I was pestered with phone calls and e-mails asking what I thought about the Omega 8000, so I bought a pro-pack to find out.

I quickly got rid of the 11" BiAxial coil, mounted the 5" DD on a spare lower rod for periodic use, but hit the hunt-sites with the 10" Elliptical Concentric coil. I spent maybe two or three hours doing side-by-side comparisons of the 11" BiAxial and 10" Concentric and was favorably impressed with how the Concentric performed and enjoyed working just that elliptical Concentric and 5" round DD on the Omega 8000. It became my most popular urban Coin Hunting detector over the next 5" years. In time I did change it up to the round 8" Concentric, and with the two Omega 8000's I had last year I relied on the round 7" Concentric coil the most because it worked great in the very 'busy' modern trash around the picnic bowery areas, around big trees, and handled a lot of yard hunting I did.

I like the elliptical Concentric however, and I'll be ordering a new F5 today and I'm sure that 'standard' coil will stay in my coil outfit for the F5 as part of a 3-coil package for my hunt needs. I had used an 11" BiAxial off a different model later on with the Omega 8000 and the Concentric coil provided more accurate VDI read-out with a tighter numeric response on mid-depth to deeper coins than the 11" BiAxial.

Monte[/COLOR][/FONT]

From what I gather in the past concentrics ruled, when the DD's came out they gathered a huge following and it continued to grow.
Deeper, wider scanning field at depth, better coverage overall, thinner scanning field for searching through trash, handles mineralization better...definitely these things had many abilities and advantages the previous generation of coils didn't possess.
The depth thing, since even before I have been in the hobby the call for greater depth over the years became a roar...if technology inherent in the detectors themselves had reached its peak, which some believe happened years ago, then maybe new kinds of coils can break though the barriers that prevent us from seeing the deepest targets we suspected were still there but unreachable.
The manufacturers played along and gave the people what they wanted, the F5 and F70 and others were designed with the concentrics in mind but optional DD coils became a big aftermarket sell for the factory models that didn't have them.
Then the models started being offered with a choice of either types of coils and then many times the DD coil just became the standard...F5's came in new boxes emblazed with "Now with an 11" DD coil" and when the F70 jumped lines and turned into the Patriot it was never even offered with that great 10" concentric anymore, just the DD.
Concentric coils became an option that most never thought to try.
Even some entry level models like the Eurok Pro and others that always just had concentrics changed, "New, Improved" packages were offered with DD's only, and who can blame the manufacturers for that...give the people what they want has always been prudent in retail...or at least give them what they think they want, anyway.
And in all this concentrics took a back seat, for many veteran hunters they were just forgotten and there is a whole new crop of hunters that have no experience using this type of coil, chances are they probably never will.
Nobody can blame hunters for this, if the DD's work and find them treasure why even try anything else?
However a few did.
I have read posts from extremely experienced and very successful hunters that have used the best technology available like E Tracs, CTx's, Deus's and more to hunt certain sites like farm fields for years until they couldn't find even one more good signal left and then as a lark a few brought in a lowly Compadre with a small concentric coil just as an experiment.
When buttons and coins and other good non ferrous targets started to show up again, and in pretty healthy volumes, some were shocked...all seemed impressed.
They posted about their success and finds with concentric coils in hunted out sites but I don't think many really noticed, just an amusing blip on the horizon...an oddity.
Now we have some new tech that's pretty good, FBS and BBS on the Minelabs came along became the thing, not just on beaches but in the dirt, too.
The Deus and other new models have many fans and the Multi-Q on the Nox is proving to be a game changer for many and the new crop of multi freak offerings are growing and all were designed with the DD's in mind, not a concentric coil in sight or even mentioned or offered for these platforms so concentrics are being pushed even further back into the dim memory of the past.
I can't blame the industry for this, or the hunters that never thought to even experience a concentric coil.
Ya gotta go with your strengths, what works, works and success rules all but I wonder what many of them would think if one day they did happen to take a concentric coil into one of their totally scoured and hunted out sites and were able to still find more.

As for myself I guess I am still old school to a certain extent, when it came time to buy a sniper coil for my Vaquero I went for a small concentric...never even had a thought to opt for a DD coil because for me, and in the kind of sites I hunted, the concentric just made much more sense.
It found me tiny gold on one of my first hunts, tons of coins and silver jewelry after that so no regrets, I knew I had made the right choice...for me.
When I got the F70 It only came with the 10" concentric and I already had thousands of hours using that kind of coil so I was fine with that and it was all I used for months and I found plenty.
Eventually I got DD's for that one, loved those too and used them a bunch but I never retired my 10" concentric , I still mounted it from time to time and used it in both great mild dirt and back here in the mineralized WE where I now live.
As we speak the F70 has the 10" concentric on the bottom of my rod now, ever at the ready even though I own four other DD's I can use instead which I do, alot, but there still is a special place in my heart for that lowly concentric.
I find great treasure with all of them, coins, jewelry and much more but nothing makes me smile like when I hear my first tone on a good target using that concentric on that F70...it is unlike any others I own for that one but I still have a great appreciation for all of them.
I am so happy I had all that experience with concentrics before I got into the DD's, I think my hunting life in this hobby would have been different if I hadn't and I suspect at least a little less fun overall if it would have gone differently for me.
Now I have the F5 that came with two great concentric coils so, joy, and right now I am learning it with the DD Sharpshooter I bought for it and it is doing great things but I am about to change to one of my concentrics and so looking forward to it.
Can this thing let me hear those beautiful sweet tones I hear on my F70 with a concentric coil, I assume it will or hope it does, anyway.
I have no doubt I will find treasure with those concentrics even in my very rough dirt if past experiences hold true to form, and the fun I will have using them is a given.
Am I old school at least a little, yea, but I have been more than successful in both great and hot crazy dirt with both types of coils so there is that history.

Like I keep saying this is a hobby, not a job, the primary goal is to have fun while doing it no matter what you find and I am a lucky man to own a few different tools to do that and such a nice selection of different types of coils to enhance that experience even more.

Last edited:
Finding the particular detector models we like, and then figuring out which search coils serve our needs the best, we will end up with a few 'good chicer' outfits that are 'fun' to use. Then all we have to do is get out there and put-them-to-work. Just use what we like and what we feel is working best for us, then go have 'fun.' Success will certainly come our way if we do our part in detector choice, settings and coil-control, and selecting a better search site.

Keep up the hunting and finding, Revier, ... and track down more private yards to search, too.

Monte

Well said, Monte, its kind of to each his own. Results are more often then not from experience and thus satisfaction and fun. Fun being the most important. HH jim tn

Fun being the most important. HH jim tn
Absolutely correct! If I wasn't having 'fun' along the way, I wouldn't have hung around this outdoor sport for so long.

Monte

So I got this thing to find precious metal jewelry, primarily, seems to be able to do that as well as it can do everything else so I'm happy.

Attachments

• photostudio_1603053994252.jpg
    photostudio_1603053994252.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 107
  • photostudio_1603054124640.jpg
    photostudio_1603054124640.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 95