Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First hunt last night with V3.2...a few thoughts

CZconnoisseur

So I made the switch yesterday to V3.2 from V2.0 thanks to a fellow Deus user who lives closeby...I stayed in my own yard for this hunt since I've been over it a few times mostly with factory program #8 using V2.0. All in all I spent about 2.5 hours in a 50' X 35' patch of grass that I've murdered with dad's CZ-6 as well...

I air tested some U.S. coins before going outside to get a ballpark on max clean detection depth...there is a definite improvement in depth, especially with programs with higher reactivity!!! With V2.0 using Prog#3, I could get a US dime to air test at a max of only 5" - with V3.0 in the same factory #3 program it maxes out now around 8"...AND V3.x reactivity values are almost one point HIGHER than V2.0 on the same setting. So that was an instant "AHA!" moment for me....

Keep in mind I don't have the ability to change Silencer, Iron Vol, TX power, or Reactivity while using the WS-5 phones only. I can change freq, GB, Sens, Prog, Audio Resp, and Coil

Since I was so happy with the V3.2 Deus Fast factory settings on depth, I decided to use this program ONLY for the hunt. I quickly found just how littered my yard really is with all the iron targets!!!
First target was an iffy high-tone blip which turned out to be junk costume jewelry, but it came out of the ground looking like gold!!! It did have some iron rust stains on it, but under magnification one can see some greenish toning indicative of copper base metal. I went on to pull about 15 coins from 1-4" depth, including a clad quarter resting on edge next to the sidewalk around 3" deep. I pulled three nails out of the same hole as the quarter. No Wheats or silver this time, but I know there's still goodies lurking! This detector is a coin MONSTER!!!!

Many of the tones were iffy, but anything that had repeatable or almost-repeatable high tones in both directions was dug. I found a few bottlecaps, but I'm sure once I can manipulate the silencer on my own that problem will go away. The tones to me weren't all that different than V2.0 - they were more choppy but nothing wildly different.

I'm going relic hunting Sunday morning, and I've never taken the Deus to this location. I will concentrate on the "hunted out" areas and I'm sure the finds will be numerous and exciting!!!

I will be sure and post PICS of the relic hunt...since I'm sure we all know what clad looks like!!! Happy Hunting!!!

Quote;
[Many of the tones were iffy, but anything that had repeatable or almost-repeatable high tones in both directions was dug.]

Be careful, if iron is close to a good target and situated just right you can only get a good signal in one direction.

I will keep that in mind...I'm beginning to see what people are talking about when they say that V2.0 has better iron rejection using factory settings. Dug a couple iron chunks of who-knows-what that were high tones. Didn't look at the VDI numbers though, just dug the tones.

I always have that thought in the back of my head "It could be a silver quarter next to a flat washer!!!"; so if there's ANY high tones at all coming through my default action is to just dig it. Hunting in my own yard I can take a few more liberties than normal, and I know I'm still learning the machine - so it never hurts to experiment with things IMO.

The lone silver dime I found with this machine at an old fairground site came through loud and clear both directions, and was about 5" deep. It was a sweet high tone, registering "82-85" in 8 kHz, and I remember there being a rusty piece of something in the hole with the dime. Didn't see what it was, saw the rusty dirt but it was enough to make the Pro Pointer "beep" - resweeping the hole found nothing else non-ferrous. I'm also beginning to see how iron can "pull down" VDI numbers (when I do happen to look at the readings) from good targets.

Tomorrow's relic hunt should be interesting to say the least. When I first found the site 10 years ago, there were enough targets to keep one busy for a long time...the area encompasses about 4 acres but the terrain is difficult. It had been hunted before I found it, but as far as being "hunted out"...not even close (even using a 20-year old CZ-5)!!! Can't wait to see what the Deus can sniff out there!

Hey CZ--

Thanks for posting your observations and learnings as you ramp up on the Deus. Very interesting and very helpful. I've got a question and an observation.

First the question: when you say you hear a signal "both ways", do you mean both crossing the object from the left and then again from the right (I'll call this "East-West")? Or does both ways mean both "East-West" and then again "North-South" (ie you turn 90 degrees to your target and check again)? Different folks mean different things when they say both ways, and I'm trying to tell if you specifically mean swinging along 1 axis or 2 axes.

Second, the observation, or perhaps more of a hypothesis. Based on your observation of the v3.2 being approx. 1 Reactivity setting higher than the old v2.0, it occurred to me that may be why many old-time users feel the new tones are more "clipped". Ignoring versions for a second, I know that when I got my Deus 8 months ago, I was hunting trashy parks and immediately jumped to reactivity = 3. I was also very confused by everything I heard. Once I lowered my reactivity to 1, I realized that the tones were longer/fuller, and as a novice with the machine I was better able to decipher what I was hearing. Yes, I was giving up separation, but I could at least start to hear targets more clearly. Then, as I became more comfortable with the sounds, I could bump reactivity up again, and better discern what I was actually hearing. So, to my ears, as you bump up reactivity, the tones get more "clipped". Back to the hypothesis... I wonder if the feedback that the v3.x software makes the tones more "clipped" is really the fact that the users were used their settings (even at reactivity = 1) but with the new software, they were effectively hunting with their reactivity set at a higher setting, making the tones sound more clipped. If they set their reactivity back by 1 setting would they hear something closer to what they expected and liked?

Please keep posting your findings; they really are quite insightful. I'm also a member on other forums, and have you seen your posts elsewhere, so I appreciate your experience being brought to bear here.

Regards,
Rich

samandnoah said:
Hey CZ--

Thanks for posting your observations and learnings as you ramp up on the Deus. Very interesting and very helpful. I've got a question and an observation.

First the question: when you say you hear a signal "both ways", do you mean both crossing the object from the left and then again from the right (I'll call this "East-West")? Or does both ways mean both "East-West" and then again "North-South" (ie you turn 90 degrees to your target and check again)? Different folks mean different things when they say both ways, and I'm trying to tell if you specifically mean swinging along 1 axis or 2 axes.

Second, the observation, or perhaps more of a hypothesis. Based on your observation of the v3.2 being approx. 1 Reactivity setting higher than the old v2.0, it occurred to me that may be why many old-time users feel the new tones are more "clipped". Ignoring versions for a second, I know that when I got my Deus 8 months ago, I was hunting trashy parks and immediately jumped to reactivity = 3. I was also very confused by everything I heard. Once I lowered my reactivity to 1, I realized that the tones were longer/fuller, and as a novice with the machine I was better able to decipher what I was hearing. Yes, I was giving up separation, but I could at least start to hear targets more clearly. Then, as I became more comfortable with the sounds, I could bump reactivity up again, and better discern what I was actually hearing. So, to my ears, as you bump up reactivity, the tones get more "clipped". Back to the hypothesis... I wonder if the feedback that the v3.x software makes the tones more "clipped" is really the fact that the users were used their settings (even at reactivity = 1) but with the new software, they were effectively hunting with their reactivity set at a higher setting, making the tones sound more clipped. If they set their reactivity back by 1 setting would they hear something closer to what they expected and liked?

Please keep posting your findings; they really are quite insightful. I'm also a member on other forums, and have you seen your posts elsewhere, so I appreciate your experience being brought to bear here.

Regards,
Rich

Hi Rich, I can give you my experiences with V-2 and V-3.2. First, using the 9

Use low Reactivity to gain depth - to bad that you can't adjust silencer it would improve your depth a lot by turning it off ( -1 setting )

Rich,
When I say "both ways" I am referring to the 2 axes, or 90 degrees, when checking a target. The larger coil by design does have a little more trouble with separation, but is still superior separation-wise to anything else I've used, EVER!!!

Sometimes when I get a signal using Prog #3 I will switch over to Prog #8 to see if it's still detectable. If it's not there using prog #8, Im guessing the good target is getting masked, so I dig it. Most of the time it's a goodie so I've used this method since I can't change reactivity on its own. Prog #3 has reactivity at 3 while #8 is set at 2, Prog #9 is set at 1, and a new prog I loaded the other night, Prog #11, is set at 0. Most of the time there is enough difference when switching from #3 to #8, but occasionally I'll get a faint blip in #3 and then switch to #9 which, if it's a deeper target, clears up the signal a good bit provided it's a clean area I'm hunting in.

I realize I may have bit off a little more than I can chew with this Deus initially, but the highest quality experience comes from digging good and "iffy" targets in the trashiest, most difficult places I know of, while using Prog #3 and then switching over to #8 or #9 to further ID the target. And since V3.2 Prog #3 is FAR superior to V2.0 in the same program, it's the new "go to" for most of the sites close to home.

Will be posting yesterday's relic finds later today....