Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

first hunt since july12, has a nice reward.

bwireman

my free time has been taken over with volunteering with the local caspca, but this morning i had
caught up on my chores so i think off to the fields.
but had pulled all my rechargeable batteries and stored in a secret location, secret to even me.
well 30 minutes later, the batteries are located but are all to weak to run the detector.
well start searching and find 9 old aa batteries, off to test with my meter and 8 good enough to go.
insert in the gti2500 and 4 bars, things are picking up.
my minds starts thinking of a place i have intended to search but had never actually stopped at.
well arrive to see new signs posted, no trepassers.
well there is an adjacent field used by one of our local companies to play ball.
park the truck and begin to search, jewelry mode and quickly rewarded with a signal.
newer one cent, followed by old pull tabs, then a nice strong hit at 8-10 inches.
started to dig, ground is like a brick, almost no rain the last 30 days.
thought about coming back at a later date with a real shovel, not this toy hand model.
but, i kept on digging and located an object which i could not identify.
used a screwdriver like a jack hammer to loosen the object and was rewarded with
an apparent civil war belt buckle.
brought home and pulled out my reference book on civil war collectables and had a perfect match.
i did skirt the area to see if i could find any more similiar hits but known found.
the area seems to be an old access road on a down hill slope, which could mean
the area had been filled with dirt from another site.
hey, thats ok, this is my first civil war find in over three years of searching.
bwireman

Sweet buckle. I recently got a GTI2500. Would you mind posting your settings when you found it and what the detecor said about target size and depth if you remember?

Thanks

Chris

Which coil too. Thx!

sensitivity was set to 7.5, due to hard ground conditions and difficulty in digging with a hand shovel.
object identified as 50 cents piece, but image was much larger than a coin on the display.
very nice solid bell tone.
due to tall grass, i was using a slow scan to avoid false hits caused by the grass.
after finding the belt buckle, i selected the relic mode and did a cross search in both directions
only covering about 32' x 60'. this only <1 % of the area
will wait for a good soaking rain, 2" or so and try again. moisture really helps in digging and
reflecting the signal to the coil.
bwireman

started with jewelry, had no idea that there would be any relics in this area.
used the stock 8 1/2 inch coil, there are a lot of old pull tabs that need to be
removed before switchin to 12 inch coil.
then changed to relic, increased sensitivity from 7-9 and did a cross grid search.
only covered a small rectangular area, will return and work 50x100 blocks
one at a time. using small wooden post to mark the 1 1/2 acre grassy area.