Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First hunt with AT Gold

outdoors

when I first got my AT Gold assembled it turned it on and submerged it in the bath tube making sure that there was not a problem with leaking 15 minutes later and all was well.....
went to a place near by that had two small parks using Discrimination 1 found 8 pennies two pull tabs and one piece of junk in about one hour ,one penny was a 1957 wheat penny...
pinpoint works great, iron audio works great targets were 2"- 6" deep one penny was at 8" with strong signal...AT Gold will work good at the colorado river on those sand bars next spring.

I've had mine 4 days now and I agree it's a great machine... I really like how lite they are at only 3lbs... My old Compass X80 during the mid 1980's was 5.5lbs and I thought I noticed a big difference right off the bat between my old one and this new AT-Gold just in how I was able to swing her all day without ever getting tired like I used to...
bnick

Getting 8" coins on your first AT Gold hunt suggests you have been metal detecting before. Good luck on those sands bars.

goldpanning.png

Hey John...

I'm wondering as to when a person may actually want to turn down the sensitivity on their AT-Gold, or Pro... Yesterday over at the new school a block away I was once again amazed at how much garbage that's woven within the first 6" of the soil covering practically the entire property... Years ago I dealt with digging normal amounts of trash in many parks just like we all do at times, but these 2 new schools which sit side by side, and the big park across the street that I worked 3 days ago are incredibly loaded with, pull tabs, tin foil, nails, washers, and even entire soda cans I've dug at 8", ha... Anyway I finally turned down my sensitivity since almost all the coins I've found have been either on the surface or just a couple inches down... I have taken a few down at 5" and 6" but just a couple... So I turned the sensitivity down a few notches and still hit the coins, a locket, and a brass belt buckle loud and clear, so I guess I'm asking am I using sensitivity incorrectly in Disc-2 by trying to shut down some of the constant garbage hit's I'm taking... I even took my 'Iron Disc' up to 40 and still my coins sounded crisp and clear... I know I won't be using my AT-Gold this way up at the claims but in heavy garbage is it ok to drop the sensitivity in a new area where almost all valuables are close to the surface and haven't had the years go work themselves deep...?

Thanks...
bob

John...have been doing this hobby about 14 years now using gti2500, gtax550, minelab explorer se pro and now another garrett detector the AT gold

When I am in situations (tot lots) where I know the liner is at 6" or less, I have turned the SENS down to just 2 or 3 bars and still can hit items that are under the liner...NEVER cut the liner in a tot lot. I do not care if the VDI screams 99...If you want to get the area closed off to detecting...Just let the maintenance workers see a cut in the liner and an obvious dig area above the cut...If I am in heavy trash, or near cell towers or radio antenna farms, I turn the SENS down until my false chatter ceases (5-6 bars lit)...I can still dig 8" like this without listening to the constant false chatter...I also find that the smaller coils do not need the high SENS (I only use 4-5 bars and still get 8+")...As Jimmy Sierra once said...think of the SENS as the gas pedal on a car...it keeps you in control on the highway (only use as much as you need)...Do not think of it as a water faucet...The more open, the more water you get....more is NOT always better...

Happy Hunting,

bnick2k11 said:
Hey John...

I'm wondering as to when a person may actually want to turn down the sensitivity on their AT-Gold, or Pro... Yesterday over at the new school a block away I was once again amazed at how much garbage that's woven within the first 6" of the soil covering practically the entire property... Years ago I dealt with digging normal amounts of trash in many parks just like we all do at times, but these 2 new schools which sit side by side, and the big park across the street that I worked 3 days ago are incredibly loaded with, pull tabs, tin foil, nails, washers, and even entire soda cans I've dug at 8", ha... Anyway I finally turned down my sensitivity since almost all the coins I've found have been either on the surface or just a couple inches down... I have taken a few down at 5" and 6" but just a couple... So I turned the sensitivity down a few notches and still hit the coins, a locket, and a brass belt buckle loud and clear, so I guess I'm asking am I using sensitivity incorrectly in Disc-2 by trying to shut down some of the constant garbage hit's I'm taking... I even took my 'Iron Disc' up to 40 and still my coins sounded crisp and clear... I know I won't be using my AT-Gold this way up at the claims but in heavy garbage is it ok to drop the sensitivity in a new area where almost all valuables are close to the surface and haven't had the years go work themselves deep...?

Thanks...
bob

Thanks for the great advice... I had a chance to re-read the AT-Gold manual for the 3rd time this morning and it's always interesting how with each reading we glean out new info that starts to make good sense as we understand it better... Seems true with almost everything it seems... Anyway the manual pretty much says the same thing you advised about turning down the sensitivity as needed...

Picked up a great little fiberglass shovel for $15 this morning as well as a nice plastic scoop for $7 so soon as my Lesche arrives I'll be pretty well set... I'm going to load up the Garrett Backpack that came with the AT-Gold this afternoon as it is a really nice backpack that came with it and everything I need for hunting will fit nicely in it even to just throw in the car when i head out... Much nicer way to hunt rather than having to haul a bunch of tools separately in which surely something will be left at home... Batteries will be first on the list...

Have a fun week...
bnick

the two small parks where I hunted was small grass park for picnics and the other one was for sports ( small soccer field), I was hunting the one for picnics, sen. was at 5 bars
looks like the screen shows that there are 8 bars in all that can be used .