Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First hunt with my tejon

Gso125

After work I got out today for about an hour and the Mosquitos started to kill me. I never hunt with head phones but this hunt I tried out my new rattlers to and I like them. I didn't find only but one zinc penny and some trash. If it's down there it should find it some of this trash was as deep as my digger. I keep the main disc at iron and the second disc I moved between 5c and scap to try and see when it disc out and then dug some trash.I chased some deep signals that I couldn't find and found a few crushed cans. It's going to take some time with it to get the hang of it. So far I like it

I wouldn't get too ambitious using the dual disc right out the gate with the Tejon. Try setting the main disc a little below nickel or where a Gatorade Sports Drink Foil Cap just discriminates out. Then start digging all clean repeatable signals. It won't be long until you start getting an ideal what the target might be before you dig.

tabman

Thanks tabman ill give that a try next time out

The last time I chased a deep signal with my Tejon I stopped digging after I was down more than 15 inches.
Then I adjusted the ground balance directly over the hole. The deep signal disappeared. I don't know where I went wrong.
I was sure I had it ground balanced before hunting and the target signal was very good over that one small spot.
If this happens to you let us know. I hope I'm not the only one.
The Tejon is so powerful it can even find things that aren't there. ha-ha

looks like my diggings, like you say if gold is their , you will not miss it

BeyWolf said:
The last time I chased a deep signal with my Tejon I stopped digging after I was down more than 15 inches.
Then I adjusted the ground balance directly over the hole. The deep signal disappeared. I don't know where I went wrong.
I was sure I had it ground balanced before hunting and the target signal was very good over that one small spot.
If this happens to you let us know. I hope I'm not the only one.
The Tejon is so powerful it can even find things that aren't there. ha-ha

When you ground balanced over the hole you balanced the target in the hole out. That is why you need to ground balance over clean ground. Where you using a pin pointer? If it was large metal your pin pointer will alarm all around the bottom of the hole when you get close enough. It could have also been a very small BB size target that you removed that was small enough even your pin pointer could not find it. Your Tejon is deep and very very sensitive, it hits really small stuff good and larger deep metal.

Hi Rainyday

I think the most likely explanation is that I accidentally bumped the ground adjust while I was hunting.
I do wish it had a ten turn ground adjust like my Bandido.
The Tejon is very sensitive and I sometimes get false signals when the ground balance is off.
I used a pinpointer while digging. I even made the hole wide enough to put my Compadre down in it.
I have heard of people who get frustrated with the Tejon and give up using it.

My whole point was that if you chase a target that you can't find, you might just need to check the ground balance.

PS it has to be there to find it.

Looks like the Tejon is working just as you set it. Even a bump of the GB shouldn't cause it to whack out.

If you're taking it where targets like these are common, I'd suggest you not treat the unit as you would when relic hunting.
Each site has a "trash suite", and judging by what you display, the odds are small of finding a slave tag or Seated coin at that one.
Possible? Yes. But until you find evidence of that, don't waste time with it.
We tend to think high-octane instruments like the Tejon will vacuum in ONLY good, old items; but they have to be there in the first place.
If I was searching there, I would...

Set SENS at 6-7
Set DISC 1 to the notch below nickle.
Set DISC 2 to accept zinc cents and above.

If it beeps, toggle DISC 2.
- if it still beeps it's a coin-range item.
- if it doesn't beep, it's a nickle, tab or other midrange target.... Maybe that gold ring.

I'd go with this general notch setting first, and cancel the iron acceptance.

Last weekend I had a fainter repeatable signal. Sized up like a coin so I was gonna dig. When the pinpointer was even with ground level it started hitting the target although it was sizing up larger than a coin. 5" later I found a piece of thin metal about 1.5" x 1.5". Every time I have dug a signal it has been there. Some I have abandoned the dig because when the hole got deep enough the pinpointer was indicating large object. I now have about 10 hours on my Tejon and like it a lot, but wish it had the sweet audio of the Silver uMax. Maybe it's just time for a new set of headphones. Okay that's it, I will order some Grey Ghost Originals tonight.

I just came back from a short hunt at park that has an area that is flooded in the winter to make an ice rink. I got a nice classic clean hit that was above tab in disc. The hit was loud enough I figured the pinpointer would hit it from the surface. It didn't so I cut my plug and checked the plug, no target. Dug out about 4 inches and no indication from the pinpointer. Dug some more and started getting a hit on the pinpointer. Finally found a dime at 8" deep (only about 1" of the pinpointer was above the surface). Put my reading glasses on checked the date- 1995! Coins get deep in my sandy areas. Add the sand to a flooded area for a skating rink and it got deep. The Tejon had no problem finding it. This is why I bought a Tejon, I need a deep detector and I got one. Despite the high operating frequency, it has no problem finding coins. I think it is overlooked as a deep coin hunter. We don't have civil war relic areas up here. If lived in an area that did and I hunted relics, the Tejon would be weapon of choice.

Dam, I love Tesoro detectors!

I am really impressed so far with air tests with the tejon and even though I'm finding 95% trash it's been very deep