Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First hunt with ORX

coin-star

I had the ORX our for the first hunt yesterday. I was at a 1930's house with about 2 acres that I have hunted with pretty much every metal detector I have owned. It is medium packed clay with just a few areas that have soil soft enough for objects to be down very deep. I have the round HF coil and my settings were coin fast, 31.3 khz, gain at 90, reactivity 2.5, disc at something higher like 40 or 50. Iron on. I had disc up high because this yard doesn't tend to have things below about 6 inches and it does have a fair bit of iron and nails. I did try coin deep, but my ears are not used to the tones well enough yet. I needed something with overall less noise so I could better learn the good tones.

Anyway, the ORX is very fun. With the settings above it "banged" on non-ferrous targets. ID's were solid and with the 9" coil there was no need use pinpoint button. The only tricky targets were big ring shaped targets that were shallow, like a chain link or big washer. Those sized like much bigger targets than they were, but were within pinpointer depth most of the time.

I have never used a Deus, but I felt like the audio gave good indication of depth and quality of target. Definitely more audio clues than the Equinox. Coins and bullets definitely had a nice round sound to them and jumped out to the ear. Pull tabs, nickels, and aluminum sounded similar, but a nickel was normally dead on at 70 with no VDI chnage in either direction. I dug pretty much everything that had a solid tone and pulled out several items I had never found using other detectors there.

Ergonomics of the shaft and weight/balance are the best of any detector I have used. Period. No contest. The behind the ear headphones definitely hurt my ears after a while, but the sound from them was excellent. I think more than 3 hours using them and I would probably have to take a break or switch to different headphones plugged into the wireless puck.

Finds of note were a 1940 Venezuelan "Un Centamos" coin, a fake 1870's style Cinco Centimos, and a 1950 wheat penny. I have only ever found one silver coin at this property. I am sure there are

Here are appoximate VDI's.

Foil = 52-55
Modern Pull tab = 69-73
Jacketed 45 Caliber bullet = 87-89
Modern Nickel = 70
Zinc Penny = 82 - 89 (depending on corrosion and how intact)
Copper Penny = 90-91
Dime = 90-92

I really like this metal detector. I have developed Arthritis in my shoulder and this metal detector didn't bother my shoulder at all.

*Other detectors used in this yard = AT Max, F19, Etrac, Equinox 600, Eurotec Pro.

CS

Good to hear the thoughts of a new user. I find the behind the ear headphones don't hurt my ears but I don't fully open the first hinge after the ear cups as I found this the most comfortable way to wear them.

Thanks for the review,don’t hear much on the orx..I have one being delivered tomorrow and can’t wait to try it out..

coin-star said:
I had the ORX our for the first hunt yesterday. I was at a 1930's house with about 2 acres that I have hunted with pretty much every metal detector I have owned. It is medium packed clay with just a few areas that have soil soft enough for objects to be down very deep. I have the round HF coil and my settings were coin fast, 31.3 khz, gain at 90, reactivity 2.5, disc at something higher like 40 or 50. Iron on. I had disc up high because this yard doesn't tend to have things below about 6 inches and it does have a fair bit of iron and nails. I did try coin deep, but my ears are not used to the tones well enough yet. I needed something with overall less noise so I could better learn the good tones.

Anyway, the ORX is very fun. With the settings above it "banged" on non-ferrous targets. ID's were solid and with the 9" coil there was no need use pinpoint button. The only tricky targets were big ring shaped targets that were shallow, like a chain link or big washer. Those sized like much bigger targets than they were, but were within pinpointer depth most of the time.

I have never used a Deus, but I felt like the audio gave good indication of depth and quality of target. Definitely more audio clues than the Equinox. Coins and bullets definitely had a nice round sound to them and jumped out to the ear. Pull tabs, nickels, and aluminum sounded similar, but a nickel was normally dead on at 70 with no VDI chnage in either direction. I dug pretty much everything that had a solid tone and pulled out several items I had never found using other detectors there.

Ergonomics of the shaft and weight/balance are the best of any detector I have used. Period. No contest. The behind the ear headphones definitely hurt my ears after a while, but the sound from them was excellent. I think more than 3 hours using them and I would probably have to take a break or switch to different headphones plugged into the wireless puck.

Finds of note were a 1940 Venezuelan "Un Centamos" coin, a fake 1870's style Cinco Centimos, and a 1950 wheat penny. I have only ever found one silver coin at this property. I am sure there are

Foil = 52-55
Modern Pull tab = 69-73
Modern Nickel = 70
Copper Penny = 90-91
Dime = 90-92

I really like this metal detector. I have developed Arthritis in my shoulder and this metal detector didn't bother my shoulder at all.

*Other detectors used in this yard = AT Max, F19, Etrac, Equinox 600, Eurotec Pro.

CS

I agree that it's a killer machine! You will find more stuff at sites you think are hunted out. And I think it's a better machine than the equinox for a good number of reasons.

Zinc Penny said:
coin-star said:

Foil = 52-55
Modern Pull tab = 69-73
Modern Nickel = 70
Copper Penny = 90-91
Dime = 90-92

CS

I agree that it's a killer machine! You will find more stuff at sites you think are hunted out. And I think it's a better machine than the equinox for a good number of reasons.

I had 2 equinox 600s, and I think a lot of machines out there are better for a good number of reasons.lol..

I have the Nox 600 too. I have no complaints with it except I got one with the wobbly shaft. I got an after market two piece shaft and it is awesome.

I like the ORX too thoug, but I need more time on it. I think I might like to get an X35 for it, but there aren’t a lot of review videos for that configuration.

I think 4khz could be fun to try out.

CS

coin-star said:
I have the Nox 600 too. I have no complaints with it except I got one with the wobbly shaft. I got an after market two piece shaft and it is awesome.

I like the ORX too thoug, but I need more time on it. I think I might like to get an X35 for it, but there aren’t a lot of review videos for that configuration.

I think 4khz could be fun to try out.

CS

I could be wrong but I don’t think you can deep below 13 kHz with the orx remote regardless of what coil you use.

Hi,
according to XP all five base frequencies 4kHz, 8kHz, 12kHz, 17kHz and 25kHz are available for use with the X35 coil on the ORX. The extra Boost function when using 4kHz is not available.
So all the X35 coils and frequencies are available when combined with the ORX. I wouldn't mind having the 11" for more coverage. But I'm waiting for a used one.

Jeff

The ORX is the best machine I've used in my 25+ years of detecting. It's deep and seperates targets better than anything I've ever used including machines that costs twice as much.

I received my orx today and I have everything on charge..and have a quick question..Do I need to pair the headphones, remote and coil or do you think everything is already paired from the factory? I haven't assembled or turned anything on yet, just have everything charging..thanks

Mine was already paired from the factory.

88junior said:
The ORX is the best machine I've used in my 25+ years of detecting. It's deep and seperates targets better than anything I've ever used including machines that costs twice as much.

I love the weight of it its such a refreshing break from whites machines that weigh over 4 pounds or minelabs that are most certainly nearly 6 pounds cause a Minelab Safari would feel like a brick in comparison even.
The ORX has a couple features that even one up the deus including Id Normalization so no matter which mode you are in the VDI will function the same, so you should get reasonably similar numbers. Given that frequency can shift the VDI numbers a little.

I think its a great machine its easy to use and you dont have to fiddle with 1000 things to get it working. Which was my problem with my old v3i. It also has nice big VDI numbers so its much easier to see them and the iron probability bar is a good feature, it helps with deep iron.

I like the system and hope that the plastic lower rod holds up because It seems awfully cheap, and thin. But thats what its got a warranty for! So I am not super worried. I really like that you can sync your pinpointer to it its a unique feature and i love how if you leave your pinpointer on the ground you can set off a lost pinpointer mode and it will beep untill you find it.

Zinc Penny the MI6 pinpointer is awesome I can actually hear my pinpointer through the headphones now where as before I'd have to raise my headphones off my ears to listen. I have been using it set at 15.6 kHz coin deep and it kills it on coins jewelry and relics. I feel confidence when I swing it knowing I haven't got a setting wrong like some of the other machines I've used. It's a joy to use and has brought the fun factor in detecting back to me.

88junior said:
Zinc Penny the MI6 pinpointer is awesome I can actually hear my pinpointer through the headphones now where as before I'd have to raise my headphones off my ears to listen. I have been using it set at 15.6 kHz coin deep and it kills it on coins jewelry and relics. I feel confidence when I swing it knowing I haven't got a setting wrong like some of the other machines I've used. It's a joy to use and has brought the fun factor in detecting back to me.

My thoughts exactly! Although I wish I had a x35 instead of the hf coil..just for the fact I’ll never use 50 kHz. It would use 4 and 8 kHz along with mid frequency...But I’m not complaining,this thing is great..So much that I think I’m done with the rat race of what’s Better than what in machinesI could care less,I just know I’m swinging a feather that separates lik a champ and finds what I want..life’s pretty good.lol
I haven’t opened the mi6 pinpointer that came with it yet,still using my carrot . But not having to take the earphones off to use the pinpointer sounds pretty good.