Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First hunt with the 8 inch coil on the AQ

tvr

Walked down to the local watering hole; brackish water bay tributary, pretty well cleared out over the years but a bit trashy with bits of iron. Ran delay 7, sensitivity 7, threshold 4, volume 8, ATS 6.5, reject 6; mostly all metal but some tones and mute to check targets.
Initial reaction is that it is a little easier to hear the edge modulation with the 8 inch than with the big coil. I walked away from several targets that were very pronounced double tones then had a more subtle edge that I told myself to walk away … but dig to verify. That was the little fish hook. The odd shaped washer, to the right of the fish hook, fooled me; it sounded pretty good in all metal and in tones. The rest of it is all non-ferrous. Some of the small targets fell through the scoop several times before I finally capture them and got them in the pouch. This set up finds fairly small targets well.

I did have an interference issue. A boat about 100 feet from me fired up and the AQ talked and talked. Stepped through the frequencies and no help there. I was shallow enough the detector head was above water so I went deep where the detector electronics were well under water and, surprise to me, that did not help either. Dropping the sensitivity down to 2 made it usable. Once he lowered the boat lift, backed off and motored away I could turn the sensitivity back up and hunt with a very quiet AQ.

A great blue heron land on the beach and walk into the water. Got about 30 feet away from me so I stayed still and watched it turn its head looking for minnows, catch and eat them. After a few minutes it walked around the beach corner towards the boat lift then flew about 2 hundred yards down the water.

A good afternoon in the water!
8InAQhunt1.jpg

So I run into something like this from time to time. Plenty of evidence of stuff cast off by human traffic. But hardly a sigh of coins. A lot of those finds seem to been around for a while. First thing jumps into my mind is"this place been hunted" But lead usually gives off a nice signal. That's a number of lead pieces left and the coins taken. Most likely no one was carrying change. Huh?

So I run into something like this from time to time. Plenty of evidence of stuff cast off by human traffic. But hardly a sigh of coins. A lot of those finds seem to been around for a while. First thing jumps into my mind is"this place been hunted" But lead usually gives off a nice signal. That's a number of lead pieces left and the coins taken. Most likely no one was carrying change. Huh?
I've personally hunted this little beach myself for many years. It is maybe 100 feet long in a community that goes back to the early 1950s. The first couple of years hunting it was like hitting a vein of silver next to one of gold. This beach by itself has paid for every detector I've bought and then a little. It gets a little bleak hunting it now. The AQ opened up two deeper silvers so far and some very deep small sinkers and, of course, more trash. I started hunting this beach with a Tesoro Cibola ... but that depth limited me a lot in only being able to go knee deep in the water. Then on to a CZ20, Sand Shark, HH Pulse, then some Excalibur work. Back and forth between detectors for a while and now the AQ.

I was hoping to get a big NNW wind blow out, but did not get that big blow out this winter into spring. Will still have a chance when weather events gear up in the fall. The last big blow out I got more gold at a spot where the water would be about three feet over my head if I went out today.