Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First hunt with the Max

wyohunter99

I have to start off by saying thanks to Jim (earthlypotluck) for sharing some settings and tips! I ground balanced at 93, sensitivity at 5 bars, iron disc at 27 and threshold set to 0. Used the 5x8 coil. Started this morning hunting one of the oldest parks in town. Wanted to try to get use to the bells and whistles. Found some clad, a Boy Scout neckerchief, religious trinket and a few wheats. Nothing to special. After lunch went to a demo site where 3 houses from 1902 stood at one time. I have been beating this site with other detectors. This site is loaded with rusty iron and trash. The only thing I changed on the settings at this site was the threshold, I set it to -3. I found more coins in this carpet of iron than any other detectors I have swung. Mostly newer clad but I was amazed how well this detector picked through the constant grunting of iron. I hunted by tones rather than vdi, if there was a coin under the coil it screams. Very distinct tones on coins. The oldest coin at this loacation was a nice green 1919 wheaty. Hopefully I can pull some silver out amongst the iron! If it’s there I do believe the Max can find it!

Glad I can help a fellow treasure hunter.:cheers: Good to see you adjusting your settings depending on your hunting conditions too. Personally, I feel this is key to unlocking the potential of this machine. Glad you have experienced the "unmistakable" sound of a coin. Just continue scanning slow through the demo site and I believe you will find what you are seeking. I can't wait for you to experience the "drawing out or the extraction" of a good non-ferrous target out of heavy iron. You may not understand what I am saying now but you will undoubtedly know what I am speaking of when it happens in the field. - Jim

Thanks again Jim. I hope it warms up for you! We have been pretty lucky here in Wyoming so far. Normally the ground is already frozen but the temps have been in the 40’s and 50’s.

Once you hear a tone with smoothness within this noise, I hope you stop and dig the signal. This is when you are going to have the AHH HAA!! moment. :smoke:

wyohunter99 said:
I’m happy with it so far. Yeah it’s a little noisy and scratchy but it sure does hit coins good.

Hunted with the max for the 2nd. time yesterday and found a 49 quarter in an area I had hunted several times with the pro.