Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First hunt with the MX Sport:thumbup:

ramairnut

Found the big silver down about 9-10" behind a school. Found a bracelet in the playground. Also dug some clad- quarters, dimes, nickels , and a few copper pennies. The MX Sport is amazing and very accurate.

Yes, it is a good detector. Under-rated due to its rocky start. It is easily my deepest detector on regular ground. Hits a 10" dime with good tid on a sensitivity of 8 in my mild Florida soil with the 7" Detech coil. It has a larger tid range than my Fors Core, so I dig fewer trash items. It has become my primary park detector. Congrats on the silver! HH!
Brian

Nice Silver Seasons' Greetings ! :beers:

Found at an Elementary School? My wife has taught in elementary school for nearly 30 years. Never surprises her the things that kids bring to school that belong to their parents, valuable items included.

Nice find. Sounds like the MX Sport has become a favorite of yours.

Rich -

That's what I have always thought about the finds from elementary schools. They are also a great place to learn your detector. So many varieties of
TID. I really do like the MX Sport. Just hoping for a small coil like the 5.3 to be released since the MX7 has finally debuted and runs on the same frequency as the Sport.

I am in Ohio, no chance of that. This detector suits me perfectly for the hunting I do.:detecting:

ramairnut said:
I am in Ohio, no chance of that. This detector suits me perfectly for the hunting I do.:detecting:
That's a great response, Brian, really should be the thinking we use when picking any detector / detectors for our personal arsenal. I have a friend I sold a White's M6 to quite a few years ago when I was a Dealer, and that was his first detector. He put in the time to learn it well, and it worked well for the hunting he did. Maybe he could have done just as well starting out with something a little less, or even with an MXT that offered a little more, but for him it worked just right for his needs.

He now has a detector battery of three models, and once again he has put in the time to be patient and learn them well, and for the types of hunting he chooses to do, he has a detector model that works 'perfectly' for him. Something he's comfortable with and he gets the results he wants. His other two models are the V3i, which he has mastered better than anyone I have ever hunted with, and he likes that unit a lot more than I do because it has some quirks that just don't fit me and my types of hunting.

His 3rd device is the MX Sport which, fortunately, has been working well for him. Very minor things to be taken care of and he's had his since not too long after they were introduced. He lives over on the Western-side of Oregon in the very dreary and rainy Willamette Valley. He doesn't seem to mind hunting when it is showery, and he's stretched his hunting site choices to include a wide variety of places from urban parks and schools, to old yards and more rural places to hunt old and long forgotten sites like picnic and resort sites, or any place that had some sort of activity in the past. And he also enjoys Relic Hunting the ghost towns and other more dated activity sites from 150 years ago or more where there's a lot of iron and rusty tin to deal with.

If I recall our last conversation, he uses the MX Sport more often but still puts the V3i to work regularly, all depending upon the type of site challenges he faces and what he is after. His choices are great for him, but there's only one of his three detectors I would own, if I had to pick from just those to fit my needs, and that would be the M6. I know it well and it has worked fine for me in the past. I used to have an M6 and MXT Pro in my arsenal, but the M6 was replaced by the MX5 which, honestly, replaced the MXT Pro I had for most of my hunting, especially urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting. The MX5 had slightly better depth and some performance 'edge' over the M6 and MXT Pro, plus it was in a lighter, better balanced package for my achy old self.

I like to rely on and own detectors that "suit me 'perfectly' for my typical hunting needs" and for the last three years I have had an MX5 in my Specialty-Use Group, but not as one of my Primary-Use Detector Team because they did overlook a few things I wished for to make it a more versatile, more comfortable detector. The headphone jack location is terrible, and they did not incorporate a 'Lock Track' option for it, and I don't like to use a ground tracking detector full-time. But it serves a purpose for me from time-to-time and is just right for that.

I have detectors with 7X11 DD and 8X11 DD coils and have no use for a round 10" DD, so the MX Sport coil wouldn't "suit me perfectly". I don't like the MX Sport weight and balance with that standard coil, and I don't go under water. I live on the far Eastern-Side of Oregon where it is generally nice and dry, averaging only 10.2" of precipitation a year here in Vale, so while I liked some of the MX Sport's circuitry design and noted its performance when I tried a couple of them on a hunt or two, it wasn't a fit due to weight and design.

This Friday & Saturday, however, I'll get out and enjoy the MX7 which "suits me perfectly" for many applications because it offers me what I wanted in comfortable weight and balance, a rear-positioned headphone jack, now proven circuitry design, and comes standard with a bigger Concentric coil that I can make use of ... at times. Most of my detecting is in debris-filled sites and smaller-size search coils serve my needs much better, so that's what the MX7 will have mounted most of the time.

On top of that, the MX7 also adds some additional color to my arsenal that I just happen to prefer. :thumbup:

So, my tastes and detector selections are going to differ from others, simply because I try to "pick a detector that suits me perfectly" for each of the different hunting applications I encounter. Although there still is no 'perfect' detector for everyone and everything, there certainly are some exceptional selections out there we can make to be a nice 'fit' in our personal detector battery..

Monte

Thank you Monte:please:. Always a treat to read your input. I had an MXT Pro at one time and enjoyed it. Life got in the way and I parted with it. Fast forward to the MX Sport release; I knew I wanted one. It took some time but I did some horse trading and acquired one. I have seen a few of these up for sale but I can't help but wonder if the owner's just didn't take the time and patience necessary to learn it.
There are a lot of fresh water spots I plan to hunt next season and as good as this detector has been to me when land hunting, I am sure it will not disappoint in the water. I have enjoyed the waterproof benefit while hunting in some light rain situations; only headed back to the car because the headphones, though White's, are not the waterproof Sport model.
Hope you enjoy that MX7. The more I read and watch about it, I believe it is a lot of bang for the buck. Good luck and Happy Hunting!:thumbup:

Ozleif said:
tarajudy said:
DON'T BRING IT ON A SALT WATER BEACH.

Why Not. :confused:

I have read mixed reviews about the MX Sport performance on a salt water beach but then again most detectorists should already know that there are better options for that environment anyway:rolleyes:. Kinda like a 2wd truck versus a 4wd truck in some mud. The 2wd could get through but with some difficulty but the 4wd will do it a lot easier with much more control.

ramairnut said:
Ozleif said:
tarajudy said:
DON'T BRING IT ON A SALT WATER BEACH.

Why Not. :confused:

I have read mixed reviews about the MX Sport performance on a salt water beach but then again most detectorists should already know that there are better options for that environment anyway:rolleyes:. Kinda like a 2wd truck versus a 4wd truck in some mud. The 2wd could get through but with some difficulty but the 4wd will do it a lot easier with much more control.

I do not rely on reviews, prefer 1st hand experiences and use of past knowledge.

My first outing with the MX Sport on a salt water ocean beach.

Monte,

Let us know what you think of the MX7 after you have taken it out to use it. I haven't seen much about it yet and wondered if they have been released yet. It a detector that I am looking at for my wife to use as it looks lighter than her MXT she is using which has been since they came out. I found the MXT a awesome detector and she wants something as good, but lighter weight.

Rick