Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

first hunt with the simplex

wltdwiz

hi all
just got me a simplex & gotta tell you they named it right
its a simple to run hi teck detector
lots of features i like it :thumbup:
took it down the what i call the beach from hell lol lots of bottle caps & nails & hot Arizona ground
ground balanced at 87 & ran in park..
i would love to tell you that it dident pick up bottle caps but its a dd coil so it hits them but up just bellow the zinc penny range they could be dealt with hope they get a concentric out soon..
the simplex has a wide spread on the discrimation nickles 22-23 coins 79-90 pulltabs in the middle.. hits hard on nickles..
she found me this little beauty on a heavily worked beach in a mass of iron .. rang in at 19-20
10 k 2.3 grams
im a happy camper i have a new friend..
Thanks makro for a great detector
[attachment 371012 thumbnail.jpeg]

But I don't have a nearby beach to hunt to up the odds. Had a break in the rain so I took my Simplex+ down to our city park for a bit. I've been thinning out a lot of shallower and/or trashy targets from a section this past month just to work the 11" DD in there. Most of the coins that are left are a bit deeper so I didn't use the park mode. Instead, I like to use a good 2-Tone mode and have been splitting my time between the VCO enhanced Field mode and the non-VCO Beach mode. I like both modes, and fortunately there isn't too much iron in most of this area of the old park. The Field mode does have an 'edge' in the more nail infested area thanks to the Iron Volume control. Just a lot of nails and similar iron there near the rodeo grounds, but out in the more open park with little iron trash, the Beach mode works fine for me as the iron is more incidental and performance is more like my Nokta FORS CoRe which doesn't have Iron Audio Volume.

I recovered a hand-full of coins between 5" and 8", but no gold jewelry. All the gold test samples I used confirmed the numeric VDI range I was hoping for, but no gold ring luck for me today before the heavy rains moved in. The Simplex + might be waterproof and submersible, but I'm not, so I called it a day.

Best of success to you on your next trip out.

Monte

Monte
keep at it & the gold will come your way :thumbup:
i found the gold ring range is 17-23
im loving the simplex :super:

wltdwiz said:
Monte
keep at it & the gold will come your way :thumbup:
I've been "keeping at it" for 5½ decades, but increased age and decreased health starts to cut in on my search-time a bit. The biggest problem I have with finding good gold & silver jewelry was making my move away from the greater Portland Oregon metro area a little over six years ago. I moved to a small town of about 525 people, then four years ago I moved here to Vale with a whopping head-count of just a little over 1800. No good beaches close by and very, very few parks or sports field sites like I enjoyed in the "Big City" area. There, I was able to find quite a few rings, pendants, chains and other desirable jewelry items every week when I got out often. I was thinking of some of those sports fields even today when at the park. That very rainy side of Oregon would be just the place for the Simplex + to be put to work.

wltdwiz said:
[bi found the gold ring range is 17-23
im loving the simplex :super:[/b]
Keeping everything at the default Frequency Shift of F2 and using both the Field and Beach modes, the smallest gold rings I sampled fell in the '17' to '25' range, but the larger gold rings, a nice gold pendant, and a gold cuff-link I found in my favorite ghost town years ago read up higher in the '36' to '42' VDI range. Other gold pieces I sampled landed in-between those Low and High ranges. Silver Jewelry, naturally, gave me higher read-outs.

I think I just need Spring to return and let me get away for a week or so to bigger population areas like Portland or Salt Lake City. That will also let me work on an Annual Coin Goal next year which I wasn't able to reach in 2019.

Today was short but OK anyway because I finally got the LiPo battery run low enough to put it on to charge back up.

Monte