Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First IH!!

tiftaaft

Took a drive tonight to an older school in Portland where I have had a little success in the past and decided to swing the Explorer SE Pro over a small patch that I covered pretty thoroughly with the CTX in the past. Got a faint signal at about 5"... 40's Wheat. Then a more solid signal at 6"... 2 wheats in the same home (one 40's, one 50's). About 10 feet from the mini pocket spill, I get a really scratchy signal.. 6-8", I can barely hear a high tone peeking through. At about 7"... a beautiful green 1902 Indian Head pops out of my hole. My first IH and my oldest coin so far. I am really enjoying this Explorer!

[size=medium]Congrats on your first of many Indians! The SE Pro is an Indian magnet, so get ready. Being out west, you'll probably nab the 08 & 09-S Indians and an 09-S wheat- keep us posted!

-- Jeff --[/size]

Awesome Tim! What are you running for sensitivity?

n/t

Nice Indian cent! They do have a sound of their own on the Explorer.

DougF said:
Nice Indian cent! They do have a sound of their own on the Explorer.

Thanks Doug, It was a scratchy signal... but it gave me a high tone in-between some other mid tones. And the depth made me dig it. But the high tone sounded a bit like a zinc would sound if I recall.

Indian cents are my favorite to find, with buffalo and liberty nickels a close 2nd ..
Nice find !

Yea, the Explorer Pro is a great machine. I wonder if your gain is up high enough since you said it
was a scratch signal at about 7"? Or do you have really mineralized soil where you are? Was the
penny on edge? If the coin was flat, your Explorer should have been banging hard on that coin.
She's a beauty. Do yourself a favor and get a small picture frame and hang it in your living room
to remind you of your first Indian Head.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
Yea, the Explorer Pro is a great machine. I wonder if your gain is up high enough since you said it
was a scratch signal at about 7"? Or do you have really mineralized soil where you are? Was the
penny on edge? If the coin was flat, your Explorer should have been banging hard on that coin.
She's a beauty. Do yourself a favor and get a small picture frame and hang it in your living room

Hey Tony, thanks for the suggestion... I may do just that.

Yes, we do have mineralized soil here... it is actually pretty harsh. I have my gain set to 7... I can run 8 but anything higher starts falsing all over the place. It appeared the cent was fairly flat, but it came out of the hole with a shovel full of dirt.. so it may have been a little on edge. It was a solid enough tone to dig... it just wasn't hitting clear and loud.. there may have been some other "noise" around it that partially masked the tone.

Tim.

Hi Tim,
All GAIN does is up the volume. Think of it as a volume control on a guitar amplifier. When Minelab began shipping out their new SE's they had them factory set at a gain of 8 to find deeper coins. Of course you can always,
as you already know, adjust the gain below or above 8.
I don't think gain causes falsing. Upping the Senseitivity causes falsing. I just don't want you to miss out on those deepies. :)

tiftaaft said:
Tony N (Michigan) said:

Hey Tony, thanks for the suggestion... I may do just that.

Yes, we do have mineralized soil here... it is actually pretty harsh. I have my gain set to 7... I can run 8 but anything higher starts falsing all over the place. It appeared the cent was fairly flat, but it came out of the hole with a shovel full of dirt.. so it may have been a little on edge. It was a solid enough tone to dig... it just wasn't hitting clear and loud.. there may have been some other "noise" around it that partially masked the tone.

Tim.

:thumbup:

I hope it is the first of many.

Rich -

Increasing sensitivity does NOT cause falsing. The falsing is there no matter what you set your sensitivity or gain to. With the gain you can adjust how loud the falsing is. With sensitivity you can accept/reject falsing, as you lower the sensitivity it rejects the tiny false signals and tiny targets, then as you lower it further it rejects larger false signals and targets. But sensitivity does not cause or increase falsing. :thumbup:

Charles (Upstate NY) said:
Increasing sensitivity does NOT cause falsing. The falsing is there no matter what you set your sensitivity or gain to. With the gain you can adjust how loud the falsing is. With sensitivity you can accept/reject falsing, as you lower the sensitivity it rejects the tiny false signals and tiny targets, then as you lower it further it rejects larger false signals and targets. But sensitivity does not cause or increase falsing. :thumbup:

Maybe I'm not communicating correctly.
Often when one ups the sensitivity too high, the machine chatters. There is an instability. Maybe this doesn't happen to you? It does to my Explorer.