Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First impressions of new to me Explorer SE

matthias

I finally went to an FBS machine. Using the original 10" coil. Haven't had time to detect outside my back yard which I've hunted heavily in the past. Haven't found any coins or keepers yet (may be the location). The big deal is that I am digging at least twice as deep as I'm used to. I've found shallow to medium depth Mercs and Wheats and clad in my yard with my other machines. Now with this Explorer SE I'm getting deep (like 10"+) and I love it. I'm mostly using the SmartFind screen but checking some signals with Digital. I just added a probe yesterday and have to get used to it again. I've got a 6x8 SEF on the way and I'm sure I will get the 10x12 SEF as well. I will get a book too. Any advice or direction you can post would be much appreciated. Thank you. GL and HH. Matt

Welcome to Minelab Matt. Your going to really like your SE when you learn what it's trying to tell you. I sure like mine. :detecting:

some one once said to dig any target over 4 inches deep because aluminum isn't old enough to be that deep. i always thought they were wrong .

chuck said:
some one once said to dig any target over 4 inches deep because aluminum isn't old enough to be that deep. i always thought they were wrong .

I agree with you. I only dig old ghost towns and old dump site, mid to late 1800's and have found aluminum in most of them. Aluminium was first used by the Greeks and Romans as dying mordants and as astringents for dressing wounds. It was not until the mid 1800 that it was used as we know it. In December ,1884 the largest single piece of aluminium cast was placed as the capstone on the Washington Monument. Probably more than you wanted to know about aluminium, but it has been around for a long time.
Later, Trashpicker.

Hi, I have owned a se and then the se pro since 2008 !

It is a formidable machine and can take awhile to master. You should if you are able purchase Andy Sabisch 's book ' The minelab explorer and e-trac handbook '.
Even after all these years of using my se, it was an interesting read.

Some of us become complacent, in our detecting methods. There are so many programmable settings to play with with these minelab machine.

I must admit i lefy camp and have been using the deus for fresh plough, but lately am moving back to my trusty se. Its quite amazing how quickly you can forget how to tweak the detector and how sensitive it can be, hence one of the reasons for buying the book.

Back on track, and very rarely am i seeing the dreaded hot rocks and deep iron that the deus loves.:detecting:

Jeez! Last week I got a 1907 IH cent in my backyard at about 10". That was with the SEF 10x12 coil. I am having trouble isolating targets in my backyard. I am losing target signal when I change sweep angle attempting to use the "X" technique for pinpointing. I know there is a ton of small iron and quite a bit of aluminum. Lots of nulling going on. Pinpointing feature is practically useless because of all the small iron. Targets are showing DEEP so I don't think a smaller 6x8 SEF coil is the answer. Any suggestions? Thanks. HH. Matt

Don't sell that 6 X 8 SEF short.----It's an amazingly deep little buggar & gives good separation at the same time.----Another good one is the Excelerator EQ2 Pro 6".
matthias said:
Jeez! Last week I got a 1907 IH cent in my backyard at about 10". That was with the SEF 10x12 coil. I am having trouble isolating targets in my backyard. I am losing target signal when I change sweep angle attempting to use the "X" technique for pinpointing. I know there is a ton of small iron and quite a bit of aluminum. Lots of nulling going on. Pinpointing feature is practically useless because of all the small iron. Targets are showing DEEP so I don't think a smaller 6x8 SEF coil is the answer. Any suggestions? Thanks. HH. Matt